Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 02:57 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 02:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Level,   Evaluate Argument,                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1803 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Send PM
Normally, the pineal gland governs a person's sleep-wake [#permalink]
Hi avigutman - the conclusion has a negative and this is really throwing me off.

Quote:
.....So the neural pathway by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye probably does not pass through the visual cortex.

Do you recommend re-phrasing "negative conclusions" to a 'positive conclusion' ?

Quote:
.....So the neural pathway by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye probably goes through some other path (other than the visual cortex)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1803 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2
Do you recommend re-phrasing "negative conclusions" to a 'positive conclusion' ?

Quote:
.....So the neural pathway by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye probably goes through some other path (other than the visual cortex)
While your rephrase is technically correct, I don't think I'd recommend this as a strategy for the GMAT. It feels to me like a bandaid solution that fails to address the root cause, allows you to get away with doing less reasoning, and is likely to cost you more time and mental effort than is appropriate for the GMAT. That said, if you find that it works well for you and doesn't take too much time, go for it!
My recommendation is to instead use reasoning to help you digest the meaning of the sentence. Why would the authors conclude that the neural pathway (by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye) probably does not pass through the visual cortex?
Your ability to answer that question will determine success or failure on this problem, and my worry is that having to rephrase the question in the way that you did might indicate that you're not fully engaging with the question of why the authors came to that conclusion.
Again, if my worry is misplaced, go for the rephrasing. It's technically correct, jabhatta2.
Send PM
Hi avigutman - the screenshot below shows the sequence of events. I have marked it with [1] through [6].

Hypothesis : Amongst blind people, (4) is recieving information about (1) NOT THROUGH (3)

Test - i was hoping for a test to check between the relationship between (1) and (3) or maybe (1) and (4) {[1] and [3] is the best IMO}

Those would be better experiments (do you concur ?)

So a test like :

Quote:
Test Group : blind people (With successful sleep wake cycles)
Goal of test : test the relationship between [1] and [3] amongst the target group
Experiment - checking if their visual cortex's respond to changes in light and darkness.

OR
Quote:
Goal of test : test the relationship between [1] and [4] amongst the target group
Experiment - checking if their pineal gland responds to changes in light and darkness.

Tests like the ones aboves are the best to test the hypothesis

Option (B) seems to be checking the relationship between (1) and (5), within the test group

But doing this, you leave big gaps

Just because (1) and (5) are seen among blind people,
- can i really say (3) does not play a part in sending information to (4) ? [which is the hypothesis]

I CANT

Maybe, within the test group, [3] is getting information about [1] through the another organ (Say through touch or feel - it gets cooler when the lights dim, hence you can feel the change in lights)

Once [3] gets information about [1], then [3] is then sending the info to [4], amongst blind people

- can i really say (4) must be causing (5) -- I cant. Maybe among the blind, (4) does not cause (5) at all.

Many gaps if you ask me, testing the relation between [1] and [5]
Attachments

2.jpg
2.jpg [ 47.28 KiB | Viewed 1600 times ]

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 31 Aug 2022, 08:55.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 31 Aug 2022, 10:08, edited 22 times in total.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2
Hi avigutman - the screenshot below shows the sequence of events. I have marked it with [1] through [6].

Hypothesis : Amongst blind people, (4) is recieving information about (1) NOT THROUGH (3)

Test - i was hoping for a test to check between the relationship between (1) and (3) or maybe (1) and (4) {[1] and [3] is the best IMO}

So a test like :

Quote:
Goal of test : test the relationship between [1] and [3] amongst the target group
Experiment - checking if their visual cortex's respond to changes in light and darkness.
To me, this seems to go against the premise: "people who are totally blind due to lesions in the visual cortex of the brain." I take that to mean that their visual cortex is unable to detect (1). Do you have a different understanding, jabhatta2?
jabhatta2
OR
Quote:
Goal of test : test the relationship between [1] and [4] amongst the target group
Experiment - checking if their pineal gland responds to changes in light and darkness.
Sure, this would be great, but I suspect that the only way to check this (I'm not a scientist) is to check the melatonin levels (in other words, maybe we can only check (4) by evaluating (5).
jabhatta2
Option (B) seems to be checking the relationship between (1) and (5), within the test group

But doing this, you leave big gaps

Just because (1) and (5) are seen among blind people,
- can i really say (3) does not play a part in sending information to (4) ? [which is the hypothesis]

Maybe, within the test group, [3] is getting information about [1] through the another organ (Say through touch or feel - it gets cooler when the lights dim, hence you can feel the change in lights)

Once [3] gets information about [1], then [3] is then sending the info to [4], amongst blind people
Again, my understanding is that [3] is completely disabled.

jabhatta2
- can i really say (4) must be causing (5) -- I cant. Maybe among the blind, (4) does not cause (5) at all.

Many gaps if you ask me, testing the relation between [1] and [5]
So you're saying that even if we have the information that answer choice (B) offers us, we still wouldn't be able to PROVE the hypothesis. Okay, sure. But that wasn't the question. The question was: which of the five answer choices would be most useful for purposes of evaluating the argument.
Send PM
avigutman
jabhatta2

So a test like :

Quote:
To me, this seems to go against the premise: "people who are totally blind due to lesions in the visual cortex of the brain." I take that to mean that their visual cortex is unable to detect (1). Do you have a different understanding, jabhatta2?

Hmm avigutman - the yellow DID suprise me.

Just because people are blind because of lesions in the visual cortex, i didnt think it was a premise that [3] cannot talk to [1]

In fact, If [3] cannot detect [1] as per the premise - i cant think of how to weaken the hypothesis /conclusion (in the red font above)

In order to weaken the hypothesis (red font above) - we need something that says

Actually [4] IS probably getting information about [1] THROUGH [3]
Tutor
Send PM
Re: Normally, the pineal gland governs a person's sleep-wake [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2
If [3] cannot detect [1] as per the premise - i cant think of how to weaken the hypothesis /conclusion (in the red font above)

In order to weaken the hypothesis (red font above) - we need something that says

It seems that you are taking for granted that the pineal gland receives information from the eye, jabhatta2? I don’t think that fact was provided as a premise

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
avigutman
jabhatta2
If [3] cannot detect [1] as per the premise - i cant think of how to weaken the hypothesis /conclusion (in the red font above)

It seems that you are taking for granted that the pineal gland receives information from the eye, jabhatta2? I don’t think that fact was provided as a premise

Posted from my mobile device

hmm are you referring with your above statement - are you referring to blind people only or regular people only or both ?

for Regular people - i thought it was a fact that pineal glands ARE GETTING information from the eyes, that was not up for debate when it comes to regular people

I think the main issue is -- i am not clear, what is it that i am evaluating

Is it

(a) Do Pineal Glands govern sleep cycles (for blind and regular people)

OR

(b) Do Pineal Glands get info about [1] thorough [3] (for blind people only) - evaluate the sequence of events specifically
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1803 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2
for Regular people - i thought it was a fact that pineal glands ARE GETTING information from the eyes, that was not up for debate when it comes to regular people
Agreed.
jabhatta2
I think the main issue is -- i am not clear, what is it that i am evaluating

Is it

(a) Do Pineal Glands govern sleep cycles (for blind and regular people)

OR

(b) Do Pineal Glands get info about [1] thorough [3] (for blind people only) - evaluate the sequence of events specifically
You're not evaluating either of those things. You're presented with a surprising phenomenon (the surprise is indicated by the word "Nonetheless" at the beginning of the 2nd sentence of the argument) which demands an explanation, and you're evaluating the validity of one particular explanation.

So... How is it that many people who are totally blind due to lesions in the visual cortex of the brain easily maintain a 24-hour sleep-wake cycle?

That's the surprising phenomenon that demands an explanation. Wait, why is it surprising? Well, because normally, the pineal gland governs a person's sleep-wake cycle by secreting melatonin in response to the daily cycle of light and darkness as detected by the eye. That's clearly not happening for people who are totally blind due to lesions in the visual cortex of the brain.

Can you think of any explanations, jabhatta2? I can think of a few:
(i) these blind people are surrounded by non-blind people, and they just go to sleep and wake up at the same time as the non-blind people
(ii) these blind people have smart clocks that signal audibly when it's time to go to sleep and wake up
(iii) these blind people have developed super hearing to compensate for their lack of sight, and they go to sleep when they hear the hustle bustle of their surroundings quiet down (and they wake up when the hustle bustle resumes)
(ix) the neural pathway by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye does not pass through the visual cortex
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7080 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts