Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Not able to improve Verbal score post finishing OG [#permalink]
Hi Janielle,

Thanks for the response.
I will work start working on Powerscore's CR and LSAT's RC concepts ( RC is another weaker area) and quant ( OG is still left) in parallel.

However, like mentioned my weakest is SC ( 60% incorrect question in verbal from SC) , which is the lowest hanging fruit for me and hasn't improved post OG also, clearly indicating poor grasp on concepts. I plan to start Manhattan's SC again and look up to SC forum on Gmat club , where reasons for correct answer in mentioned, post which I will start with Verbal Only OG.

Usually, this is how I attack an SC question:
I understand the meaning of sentence first.Then ,I look out for Sub-verb agreement, dangling modifiers, parallelism , ambiguous pronoun's antecedent and similarly ambiguous modifiers, use of comma and "and" in the underlined part.

Yet, I am stuck with 2 close options and end up selecting the incorrect one.

rich: Thanks for the reply again.
I understand that there is a concept gap in my knowledge. For that, like mentioned I will brush up Manhattan's SC again, I had read Manhattan SC before starting OG, may be now, I will be able to grasp more or may be understand more.

I can easily pull 10 hours a day like I have been since last 1 month ( 70% for Verbal and 30% for Quant).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SHATAKSHI wrote:
Hi,

It's been a month with the GMAT preparation. I have finished Manhattan's SC and OG meticulously (taking proper time in formulating error log in tabular format with concept, question no. and error explanation in 3 columns.)

However, my verbal score has dropped.

1. 1st test,Manhattan free test, without preparation: 540, Verbal:27, Quant: 37
2. 2nd test, Economist free test, with some maths concept revision,570 Verbal: 27, Quant: 41
3. 3rd test, Veritas free test, finished Manhattan's verbal concepts, 520, Verbal:21, Quant:43
4. 4th test,Kaplan free test, finished half verbal OG and diagnostic maths test, 570: Verbal: 19, Quant: 45 ( missed 9 questions in quant)
5. 5th test, Economist free test, break of one week without any preparation, 420, Verbal: 19 and Quant:37 ( missed 6 quant questions)
6. 6th test, Gmat prep, finished verbal OG, 550, Verbal: 19, Quant: 48 ( all questions attempted)

Problem at 1st glance: My verbal just fails to improve, while I am pretty strong with quant.
I have almost 45 days left for GMAT. I kind of feel that I am missing something important in verbal.

Here is the deep dive analysis for verbal of my last test : 18 out of 41 incorrect (out of which 5 were the first 10 questions, 7 were continuous 29th till 35th questions).

My weakest area is sentence correction, I just fail to recognize the error by shortlisting last 2 options. The test questions seem so different from OG. I am trying the meaning approach as a starter to all questions.

Any directional help will be really appreciated.

Hey SHATAKSHI

The SC section is the easiest verbal section to make improvements on. Once you understand how to think and approach this question type, there are only so many ways you can be tested. Here at GMAT Pill we developed the 10 core frameworks which detail the 10 ways to approach GMAT sentence corrections.

Here is a sample video detailing one of the core frameworks: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/2184

For CR, we recommend a visual framework approach to help you understand the complex short passages and how each item relates to each other.

Here is a video describing the visual framework approach: https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

To improve RC - you really need visual guidance. Don't read articles about how to improve reading. You improve by actually doing or watching someone else do.

That's why you might find these video walkthroughs helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

Best of luck on your studies!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It sounds to me that you are treating GMAT like memorization repetition task. GMAT tests logic skill. Work to sharpen your skill. That has been helpful for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Not able to improve Verbal score post finishing OG [#permalink]
Thanks Saurabh and others for guidance.

I took another test MGMAT today and got 620: Verbal (32) and Quant (43).

1. Referred the foll. in the week:read advanced chapters from SC, started CR and RC bible ( Powerscore), finished 1/3rd of GMAC's verbal review.
2. Focused on reasoning and understanding the actual meaning on SC questions.
3. Made sure I devoted time for last 10 questions, rather than guessing.

The quant in Mgmat test looked way harder than practice Gmatprep test.

The journey to 700 still remains :-D . Any other guidance will be appreciated.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Not able to improve Verbal score post finishing OG [#permalink]
Kudos
I've had a problem with getting down to two SC choices as well and then not knowing which to pick. The issue? Idioms! Idioms are still tested and important, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. On my official GMAT, I had one question in which the only difference between two choices was believe and believe that. I couldn't remember the idiom to use - sometimes it's believe X and other times it's believe that X.

Magoosh has a free eBook on Idioms you can go through:

https://magoosh.resources.s3.amazonaws.c ... _eBook.pdf

Also try the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction book.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
SHATAKSHI wrote:
However, like mentioned my weakest is SC ( 60% incorrect question in verbal from SC)

Hi SHATAKSHI! Since you specifically mention SC, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

It will be wonderful if you can help me guide on one more important aspect, kind of a deal breaker for me right now.

I am able to solve first 15/20 questions right in Verbal test, post which my accuracy just drops to 5/21 correct questions in last 20 set, leading to a drop of score 28. Breakup of 15 incorrect in last 21 set: 8 SC, 4 CR and 3 RC
This is happening repetitively.

Clearly, I am not able to handle pressure of last minute clock and difficult level questions.
However, I am able to solve most of the hard level questions without the pressure of clock.

Any form of guidance and perception will be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
SHATAKSHI wrote:
I am able to solve first 15/20 questions right in Verbal test, post which my accuracy just drops to 5/21 correct questions in last 20 set, leading to a drop of score 28. Breakup of 15 incorrect in last 21 set: 8 SC, 4 CR and 3 RC
Running out of time is a very common reason for such a sharp drop in accuracy. There are two things that you should definitely work on:
(a) Developing and executing a timing strategy (involves a lot of timed practice)
(b) Being comfortable with guessing and knowing when to move on

You've got to do well over the entire test. Doing exceptionally well on the first 20 and then getting most of the remaining questions incorrect is never going to work out in your favor.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
SHATAKSHI wrote:
Hi All,

It will be wonderful if you can help me guide on one more important aspect, kind of a deal breaker for me right now.

This is happening repetitively.

Clearly, I am not able to handle pressure of last minute clock and difficult level questions.
However, I am able to solve most of the hard level questions without the pressure of clock.

Any form of guidance and perception will be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Hi
Use your error log to ensure that in SC you do not repeat similar mistakes.
SC is the area where you can reduce mistakes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
SHATAKSHI wrote:
Hi,

It's been a month with the GMAT preparation. I have finished Manhattan's SC and OG meticulously (taking proper time in formulating error log in tabular format with concept, question no. and error explanation in 3 columns.)

However, my verbal score has dropped.

1. 1st test,Manhattan free test, without preparation: 540, Verbal:27, Quant: 37
2. 2nd test, Economist free test, with some maths concept revision,570 Verbal: 27, Quant: 41
3. 3rd test, Veritas free test, finished Manhattan's verbal concepts, 520, Verbal:21, Quant:43
4. 4th test,Kaplan free test, finished half verbal OG and diagnostic maths test, 570: Verbal: 19, Quant: 45 ( missed 9 questions in quant)
5. 5th test, Economist free test, break of one week without any preparation, 420, Verbal: 19 and Quant:37 ( missed 6 quant questions)
6. 6th test, Gmat prep, finished verbal OG, 550, Verbal: 19, Quant: 48 ( all questions attempted)

Problem at 1st glance: My verbal just fails to improve, while I am pretty strong with quant.
I have almost 45 days left for GMAT. I kind of feel that I am missing something important in verbal.

Here is the deep dive analysis for verbal of my last test : 18 out of 41 incorrect (out of which 5 were the first 10 questions, 7 were continuous 29th till 35th questions).

My weakest area is sentence correction, I just fail to recognize the error by shortlisting last 2 options. The test questions seem so different from OG. I am trying the meaning approach as a starter to all questions.

Any directional help will be really appreciated.

Hey Statakshi,

The SC section is the easiest verbal section to make improvements on. Once you understand how to think and approach this question type, there are only so many ways you can be tested. Here at GMAT Pill we developed the 10 core frameworks which detail the 10 ways to approach GMAT sentence corrections.

Here is a sample video detailing one of the core frameworks: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/2184

For CR, we recommend a visual framework approach to help you understand the complex short passages and how each item relates to each other.

Here is a video describing the visual framework approach: https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

To improve RC - you really need visual guidance. Don't read articles about how to improve reading. You improve by actually doing or watching someone else do.

That's why you might find these video walkthroughs helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

Best of luck on your studies!
GMAT Club Bot