It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not much work experience, should I talk about entering consulting?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Not much work experience, should I talk about entering consulting? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 00:58
Hi everyone,

I don't have much work experience, just a few years of lab work. 5 publications in medical journals.

Should I talk about how I want to do healthcare consulting?

I am 27 now, and I had a physical illness that required treatment for many years (cancer, in remission now). So I don't want to waste any more time to be honest, and want to apply this cycle.

Is it true that post-MBA consulting does not require much work experience? If so, would it be better to seek that as my post-MBA goal in my essay?

I ultimately want to work in oncology drug R&D, as that is the field I am most passionate about. But without work experience, would healthcare consulting be more realistic post-MBA, and then go into pharma?

Thank you all so much!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Not much work experience, should I talk about entering consulting? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 10:39
kingturtle wrote:
Hi everyone,

I don't have much work experience, just a few years of lab work. 5 publications in medical journals.

Should I talk about how I want to do healthcare consulting?

I am 27 now, and I had a physical illness that required treatment for many years (cancer, in remission now). So I don't want to waste any more time to be honest, and want to apply this cycle.

Is it true that post-MBA consulting does not require much work experience? If so, would it be better to seek that as my post-MBA goal in my essay?

I ultimately want to work in oncology drug R&D, as that is the field I am most passionate about. But without work experience, would healthcare consulting be more realistic post-MBA, and then go into pharma?

Thank you all so much!

Hi kingturtle,

There are a lot of career opportunities post-MBA for students from a healthcare background. Healthcare consulting is just one of them. A lot of pharma also hires directly from B-schools and a working knowledge of the healthcare sector definitely helps.

Clarity of career goals and the ability to demonstrate that you have the strengths to achieve the career goals form the backbone of your application. You should be able to bring out examples which answer the question why consulting and how do you reach your long-term goal. We recommend you talk to friends, family and alumni who are with a similar background to figure out your strengths that will help you reach your goal. You should ideally pick up a career path that links your background, short-term goals and your long-term goal of Onco R&D.

We'd like to know a little more about you to help you define career goals in your essays. Feel free to reach out to us.

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Not much work experience, should I talk about entering consulting? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 12:17
kingturtle wrote:
Hi everyone,
Hi kingturtle, thanks for reaching out. Will answer below.

Should I talk about how I want to do healthcare consulting? Sounds like this is a sincere interest- look for schools that help career changers- for example UNC Kenan-Flagler has a STAR program that lets students join consulting teams and get great experiential learning in consulting while in the program. This will help you in your search for consulting jobs. For healthcare consulting-
research firms with strong focus on this. Having a strong GMAT will help you get into consulting and don't be afraid to leverage your experience with oncology as a patient or your lab work to help provide some unique insights that you can bring to healthcare consulting roles.

I am 27 now, and I had a physical illness that required treatment for many years (cancer, in remission now). So I don't want to waste any more time to be honest, and want to apply this cycle. Glad to hear your cancer is now in remission and will think good thoughts that it continues to stay this way.

I ultimately want to work in oncology drug R&D, as that is the field I am most passionate about. But without work experience, would healthcare consulting be more realistic post-MBA, and then go into pharma?To learn more about how we can help you with post MBA goals and admissions process, go to this link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thank you all so much!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 37

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 21:27
Hi kingturtle,

Healthcare consulting to pharma is a circuitous route when pharma companies too recruit MBAs. Uncommon paths require articulation.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17651 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 10:49
I agree with 99Colleges. If you have pharma companies (big and small) recruiting from campus why do you feel the need to go the route of HC consulting? Look at Wharton and UNC, as from what I know they seem to have great healthcare programs. Meanwhile try to answer GSB's former essay B. Why do you REALLY want to get an MBA?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17651 [0], given: 1986

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 10:34
Communicate what you actually want to do, its always best to be authentic when crafting your career goals. If you have questions about the viability of stating an interest in HC Consulting they will to. Just state what you want to do and make sure it is a path that is somewhat common for MBAs to pursue. Do your research and see if you can identify other MBA who have done something similar. This could also be an opportunity for you to standout in fact from the droves of others applying to b-school

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Re: Not much work experience, should I talk about entering consulting?   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2017, 10:34

Not much work experience, should I talk about entering consulting?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap