GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 May 2019, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 55266
NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 03:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (00:35) correct 12% (00:28) wrong based on 76 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning stage
Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 1008
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 03:57
Bunuel wrote:
Image
NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale.

If line l and line m never insect and a = 34°, what is the value of b?

A. 146
B. 90
C. 68
D. 45
E. 34

Attachment:
image009.jpg


Given, line l and line m never intersect implies that m||n

So, alternate angles are equal, hence b=a=34°

Ans. (E)
_________________
Regards,

PKN

Rise above the storm, you will find the sunshine
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 906
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 04:00
Line L and M never intersect. Implies that Line L and M are parallel.

Also, angle a and angle b are alternate angles. a = b.
Therefore a = b = 34.

E is the answer.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Press +1 Kudo If my post helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 430
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 08:16
l and line m never insect means lines are parallel. So if angle a=angle b. B=34.
Answer: E
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Schools: AGSM '19
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 08:56
Hi Bunuel

I feel like something else is missing in the question. It says figure not drawn to scale and says the lines never intersect. That doesn't mean that the lines are parallel. They appear to be parallel but it's also possible that they are not parallel. Shouldn't there be an option "Cannot be determined" in this case which is the right answer?
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning stage
Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 1008
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 09:28
1
rajudantuluri wrote:
Hi Bunuel

I feel like something else is missing in the question. It says figure not drawn to scale and says the lines never intersect. That doesn't mean that the lines are parallel. They appear to be parallel but it's also possible that they are not parallel. Shouldn't there be an option "Cannot be determined" in this case which is the right answer?


Hi rajudantuluri,
Refer the highlighted text, In case two lines are not parallel, that means they intersect somewhere in the xy-plane. If they intersect then they are not parallel.
So, the only possibility: They are parallel.
(You may draw two lines with different angles, then extend them in both forward and backward direction, they will certainly intersect).
Irrespective of whether the figure is NTS or exact, when two lines never intersect then they are parallel.
_________________
Regards,

PKN

Rise above the storm, you will find the sunshine
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Schools: AGSM '19
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 10:00
The clouds are cleared now :) Thanks PKN!


PKN wrote:
rajudantuluri wrote:
Hi Bunuel

I feel like something else is missing in the question. It says figure not drawn to scale and says the lines never intersect. That doesn't mean that the lines are parallel. They appear to be parallel but it's also possible that they are not parallel. Shouldn't there be an option "Cannot be determined" in this case which is the right answer?


Hi rajudantuluri,
Refer the highlighted text, In case two lines are not parallel, that means they intersect somewhere in the xy-plane. If they intersect then they are not parallel.
So, the only possibility: They are parallel.
(You may draw two lines with different angles, then extend them in both forward and backward direction, they will certainly intersect).
Irrespective of whether the figure is NTS or exact, when two lines never intersect then they are parallel.
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 785
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 08:02
1
Bunuel wrote:
Image
NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale.

If line l and line m never insect and a = 34°, what is the value of b?

A. 146
B. 90
C. 68
D. 45
E. 34

Attachment:
image009.jpg


Dear Moderator,
Came across this question, small typo is the question above, you may wish to correct the same , I guess you meant to write intersect well as it has turned out to be something else. Hope you will look into this. Thank you.
_________________
- Stne
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 55266
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 08:06
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Image
NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale.

If line l and line m never insect and a = 34°, what is the value of b?

A. 146
B. 90
C. 68
D. 45
E. 34

Attachment:
image009.jpg


Dear Moderator,
Came across this question, small typo is the question above, you may wish to correct the same , I guess you meant to write intersect well as it has turned out to be something else. Hope you will look into this. Thank you.

_______________
Edited. Thank you.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 174
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 09:36
line l and m are parallel
so angle a and b are vertical angles and a=b
so b=34
_________________
Hitting Kudos is the best way of appreciation. :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."
GMAT Club Bot
Re: NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 09:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

NOTE: Figure not drawn to scale. If line l and line m never insect an

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.