Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 22:33 It is currently 03 May 2024, 22:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73004 [0]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Notre Dame (Full Tuition) v/s Cornell [#permalink]
Congratulations on your admit Bethun!
Since both are one year programs, internship is out of question
I think bb is absolutely correct. You'll be knocking on a lot of doors if you opt for Notre Dame over Cornell. I think the $110k won't hurt you in the long run as much as the brand name of Cornell and the peer/industry network will help you.

I'll say, go for Cornell.
All the best. Let us know what you decide ultimately and your thoughts behind it.

Sonesh.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Notre Dame (Full Tuition) v/s Cornell [#permalink]
Bookmarks
First of all Congrats on both the admits!!

I was requested by BB to help with my perspective though I don't count myself as an expert on taking the best opportunity or I would have completed my MBA by now.:).

I had interviewed at Cornell a few years back & liked the school & the feel on campus. But I was waitlisted & didn't convert.

Cornell at Ithaca is far from NY so location wise none of these schools holds sway over the other, although you can travel to Chicago from South Bend (Notre Dame) in like 2-3 hrs so that's a plus. I have never visited South Bend btw.

I felt Ithaca probably is a better place to spend that 1 year. Coming from India, winter is going to be long & gloomy at either of these places but I feel South Bend isn't the most engaging place out there.

I understand the Tech MBA at Cornell would mean you will spend most of the time at NY, which is great even from the perspective of Networking. Cornell wins hands down on this one.

Career outcome:

If you are open to the idea of starting at an Associate level in Consulting, then Cornell is the place to be as I assume the Consulting firms do sponsor a lot of Internationals.
However, if you believe you will have to network outside of the campus recruitment scheme at either of these schools then paying 0 tuition makes a lot of sense. You can spend the money saved on travel, networking & it will be less of an issue if you don't get the right opportunity at the time of graduation.

I personally know few folks who took job offer 2 months after graduation and they were in reputed schools - just below the top 15. I think having no student loan to pay back will help immensely and give you confidence during that tough phase.

The Cornell Tech MBA holds more appeal to someone who wants to work in a startup, so if that's your idea you must be heading to Cornell without a doubt.

Again, I feel lot of Internationals,& Indians specifically, assume that the job post an MBA from a recognizable brand would come on a platter which is not how things work at US B-schools. Networking, your past experience & brand name on the resume plays a very important role in opening doors for interviews.

Alumni:

Now I have heard great things about ND & the brand itself is recognized pretty well in the US.
So I would assume even without a Cornell on the resume, if you have worked with some recognizable brands in the past, networking will hold the key.
Personally, I feel that ND has a better & tighter alumni network & getting an opportunity in Midwest (Chicago specifically) will be the primary target for any International candidate.
Having said that, a Cornell Tech MBA is a fantastic thing on the resume if you look yourself 10 years down the line in the Tech industry.
So if you can afford to pay, take that offer. With the Cornell degree, the alumni network would be very effective for landing opportunities in the NY area.

Finally:

Go for Cornell Tech MBA if you can afford to pay the tuition over several years & believe the school can land you that first opportunity which is the most crucial step for any International & you want to work in a small setup post-graduation (read startup).

Go for Notre Dame if money is very important & you are ok to hustle (as BB mentioned). In all likelihood, your first opportunity wouldn't be via the school's career management centre. If you decide to return to India in say a couple of years, you can do that without any issues.

Go for either of these with full force & conviction.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Thanks everyone for the insightful feedbacks. They were super helpful. Although I have couple of weeks to put down my deposit, I am evaluating between the two options based on these parameters:

Brand and Curriculum:
Cornell Tech wins hands-down. They have one of the best designed curriculums for Technology careers with their Studio format pedagogy (Product Studio, BigCo Studio, Startup Studio).
Coming to the brand value, I feel you can leverage it best for the next 3-5 years post MBA to get access to opportunities compared to competition. Post that, its your work and skills that would determine your professional growth.

Financial:
Notre Dame seems to be a no-brainer.
Given the free ride at ND and the opportunity to graduate debt-free does remove a lot of mental/financial pressure. Moreover the money saved can be well utilised to do legit certifications and bolster my resume.

Career support services:
After discussing with Adcom at Cornell Tech and speaking with students, I realised that you would have to hustle for jobs even there, with no companies coming to its New York Campus. However being based out of NY gives it a location advantage over South Bend for sure.

I am still deciding between choosing Product Management or Consulting as my post-MBA career. While Notre Dame is not known so much for Tech unlike Cornell, it will allow me to keep my Consulting dreams alive (however slightly) which I have to do away with if I choose Cornell Tech. 80% of class at Cornell Tech pursue PM, ~10% entrepreneurship and rest other related careers.

This is going to be a tough call as I am equally torn between the two options for now :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts