Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 21 Jul 2019, 21:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

noun modifier vs adverbial modifier

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
noun modifier vs adverbial modifier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 17:58
I am not very sure what the modifier is modifying in the following cases. Can anyone help me out here?

I greeted the boy, playing basketball.
Who is playing basketball? The boy or myself? I think this sentence is grammatically correct but ambiguous. Am I correct? Typically "playing basketball" acts as an adverbial modifier so it means I am playing basketball. But I also found another one from PREP:

Doris Schopper became president of the international council of Médecins sans Frontiéres, known in English as “Doctors Without Borders.”
In this sentence "known xxx" is modifying the noun "MSF" not the preceding independent clause. How can I determine if the participle modifies the preceding noun or entire clause? Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: noun modifier vs adverbial modifier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 20:28
Hi,
I greeted the boy, playing basketball. : In this 'I' greeted d boy while I was playing ;better to write: playing basketball,I greeted the boy.
I greeted the boy playing basketball. in this (without comma) boy is playing. Or ex2 I SAW a man CLEANING the steps.
Look for egmat free videos on V-ing and Ved modifier, for more clarification.Also manhatten SC book also explains this to sm extent.
egmat

Doris Schopper became president of the international council of Médecins sans Frontiéres, known in English as “Doctors Without Borders.”
In this sentence "known xxx" is modifying the noun "MSF" not the preceding independent clause.: corrrect. V-ed clause modifies the noun and not the clause.
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 23:49
dwang52 wrote:
I greeted the boy, playing basketball.
Who is playing basketball? The boy or myself?

Hi dwang52, present participial phrases (playing basketball) towards the end of a clause preceded by a comma modify the subject of the preceding clause (in this case I).

If the intent was to depict that the boy was playing basketball, then there should not have been any comma.

I greeted the boy playing basketball.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Participial phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 07:31
Hey.!

For modifiers I've attached some links below; these are very useful. Please go through it. Take your time.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-modi ... fl=similar

https://gmatclub.com/forum/usage-of-ver ... fl=similar

https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ing-mod ... =modifiers

I'm pretty sure these posts will help you to a great extent. There's no shortcut, please read.
V
Reviews Badge
noun modifier vs adverbial modifier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 11:19
Hi dwang52,

Welcome to gmatclub!

NOUN MODIFIERS:
Past participle - essential: The camera owned by John is white

Past participle non-essential:The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple BEE_PLANT, now commonly called wild spinach.
The question itself is here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ancient- ... 79475.html

Present participle without commas: The boy playing soccer is very tall.

ADVERBIAL MODIFIERS:
Present Participle WITH COMMAS: The PROGRAMMER FIXED THE PROBLEM, earning himself a promotion

Past participle WITH COMMAS: Exhilarated by the successful product launch, the TEAM CELEBRATED after work

Some notes from Ron's videos:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/updated-thur ... 98304.html
Quote:
the "comma + ing" modifier should only be used when:

(A)
it MODIFIES THE ENTIRE ACTION of the preceding clause, and it APPLIES TO THE SUBJECT of that clause;

AND

(B)
one of the following is true:
(1) the "ing" action is SIMULTANEOUS with, and SUBORDINATE to, the main action;
- i ran down the sidewalk, flapping my arms wildly
(2) the "ing" action is a DIRECT AND IMMEDIATE CONSEQUENCE of the main action.
- i got a 100 on the most recent exam, bringing my average up to 91
(3) the "ing" action DESCRIBES the main action, in some other extremely direct way (illustration, example, explanation, etc.)

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... tml#p40738

Note that the list above is not complete. What textbook are you using now? I'd highly recommend to get Manhattanprep SC book.

Hope this helps!
noun modifier vs adverbial modifier   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2019, 11:19

noun modifier vs adverbial modifier

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics