GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 10:42
Can you please clarify, how no inscriptions on monuments brings us to the conclusion that the cities were abandoned. IMO they might be other reasons, which restricted/discouraged the residents to do inscription on the monuments.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 00:13
mikemcgarry wrote:
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the Yucatan peninsula in recent decades. The ruins lack any evidence of destruction by invading forces, internal revolts, or disease and appear simply to have been abandoned. Some archaeologists have theorized that the cities were abandoned due to a severe drought known to have occurred in the region between 800 and 1000 AD

Which of the following if true most strongly supports the archaeologists' theory?

A. Ample archaeological evidence of Mayan Peasant revolts and city-state warfare exists, but such events could never result in the permanent abandonment of cities.
B. No monumental inscriptions created after 900 AD have been found in these cities, but inscriptions dating before that time have been found in abundance.
C. studies of Yucatan Lake sediment cores provide conclusive evidence that a prolonged drought occurred in the region from 800 to 1000 AD
D. climatic studies have documented cycles of intermittent drought in the Yucatan peninsula dating from the present to at least 7000 years ago.
E. The Mayan City, Uxmal, was continuously inhabited from 500-1500 AD

JusTLucK04 wrote:
I choose C..Although I am incorrect..But I would like to point out that: In a real GMAT question are there 2 or more strengtheners such that one strengthens more than the other..As per what I have read..such is not the case..It is always 1 strengthener..and other neutrals,weakeners or irrelevants

Experts please vouch for the above

Dear JusTLucK04 & georgepaul0071987
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, JusTLucK04, it is NOT true that GMAT CR strengthener questions often have two strengtheners, one better than the other. That is a relatively rare pattern. I would say they often have one or two weakeners, just as a weakener questions will have one or two strengtheners.

Veritas questions often are very good. Here, I don't like the diction mistake
... the cities were abandoned due to a severe drought ...
That's a classic diction mistake that would be wrong on the GMAT SC. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... nsequence/

Now, to the argument. It is uncertain why they cities are empty --- it is possible that they were abandoned, because other things that would empty a city don't tally with the evidence. The drought is already known. According to the prompt, the occurrence of the drought is already beyond a shadow of a doubt.

(B) gives a new corroborating piece of evidence
(C) tells us something of which we are already sure

An answer that tells us something that we already know adds zilch to the argument. That's why (C) is wrong. This, of course, is what DexDee already astutely pointed out above.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi Mc Gary,

I am really confused with this stem. the option B says that there was no evidence found that people were there after 900AD, so it can be because of any war, disease or may be drought. So how can we use this as an strengthen option for drought case.
Option C repeats the conclusion, but in Conclusion the researchers are skeptical about the doubt but Option C says that they got confirmation that the hypothesis is true.
Secondly: we can use the information from the argument in the Strengthen Question, whereas we have to add extra information in Assumption Question, So, from that point also this option seems to be correct.

Waiting for reply :-)
Re: Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jul 2018, 00:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap