It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2008, 06:06
J term apps start in April 2008

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2008, 15:21
Will they look at full time dingers on a PT level?

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2008, 12:51
vinviper wrote:
Will they look at full time dingers on a PT level?

From my recollection, you can only apply to either or per semester.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2008, 19:43
Question: From the stern essay page, http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/lang ... oc_id=8002
For question 3 there is a link to recording of the Executive Director of MBA admissions: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/show ... 12276.html

This link is not working for me, I get an error when real player tires to open it. Anyone else have the same issue?

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Schools: NYU Stern 2009

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2008, 06:57
Worked here. It is all about the joyous essay three creative essay. Good in that you hear how far people can and do go.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2008, 07:43
Am I the only one who thinks essays don't factor in the admissions process nearly as much for Langone than FT?

btw, link works for me.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2008, 15:48
Hi Everyone,

Thrilled to be finally posting on one of the application forums here! I took the GMAT this morning so you can add my stats to the list if you want. Can you also please assess my GMAT score relative to my other stats?

GMAT: 650 (Q41, V38)
Undergrad: BS in Marketing, 3.79 GPA
Work Exp: 2.5 years in a large market research company - started as an analyst right after graduation, huge job progression this past summer as I just became a Product Manager
Other stuff: A few honor societies in college, chosen to be in an extracurricular cross functional team at work

Do you think I stand a chance given my GMAT score? I've seen some people in the previous NYU semester forums get in with scores similar to mine but way more work experience. Please give me some advice! Should I hold off on applying for Fall 08 altogether and just wait to take the GMAT again? :?:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2008, 14:07
hi all,

i have 2 questions:
1) does the diploma of a graduate from NYU's part-time program show any distinction from the full-time program? for example, does it say "Langone" instead of "Stern"?
2) i prefer the weekends program because it fits better with my current work schedule, but i noticed that many admits for this program are out-of-towners (i live in nyc). do you think this would be held against me in any way? (i do know that i may eventually have to switch to the weeknights if i want to specialize, but i'd like to take my core classes over the weekends first.)

any insights or info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
nyu08

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2008, 20:12
nyu08 wrote:
hi all,

i have 2 questions:
1) does the diploma of a graduate from NYU's part-time program show any distinction from the full-time program? for example, does it say "Langone" instead of "Stern"?
2) i prefer the weekends program because it fits better with my current work schedule, but i noticed that many admits for this program are out-of-towners (i live in nyc). do you think this would be held against me in any way? (i do know that i may eventually have to switch to the weeknights if i want to specialize, but i'd like to take my core classes over the weekends first.)

any insights or info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
nyu08

1) From what everyone says, you get the same MBA. I believe it just says NYU MBA or something to that effect. However, an interviewer glossing over your resume will know that your years in bschool and employment overlap and conclude that you were not a FT student.

2) I have no clue, and honestly I don't give much credence to anyone who says they do.

I think the best reason for going on weekends is that you're a consultant who frequently works off site or you just have inconsistent working nights whereby you need to work OT, constantly.

good luck.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2008, 20:18
Tangaroo wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thrilled to be finally posting on one of the application forums here! I took the GMAT this morning so you can add my stats to the list if you want. Can you also please assess my GMAT score relative to my other stats?

GMAT: 650 (Q41, V38)
Undergrad: BS in Marketing, 3.79 GPA
Work Exp: 2.5 years in a large market research company - started as an analyst right after graduation, huge job progression this past summer as I just became a Product Manager
Other stuff: A few honor societies in college, chosen to be in an extracurricular cross functional team at work

Do you think I stand a chance given my GMAT score? I've seen some people in the previous NYU semester forums get in with scores similar to mine but way more work experience. Please give me some advice! Should I hold off on applying for Fall 08 altogether and just wait to take the GMAT again? :?:

I'm a bit of a rookie to the PT forum. But based on the stats on the first page of this thread as well as having read that monster spring 08 thread, the consensus seems to be that if you have a 700+ and a decent gpa, you're pretty much in. The mid 600s also gets acceptances, but after a much longer deliberation process. The lower 600s and below 600 are usually dings. Of course there are exceptions to this, but again, that seems to be what most everyone on that thread believes.

So with your stats, I'd guess that you have a slightly above a fair shot at getting in. Maybe if you can pull you're gmat up to the higher 600s, pushing 700, you might be better off. But please, don't take my word as gospel.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2008, 08:02
Thanks for the input! Being a rookie as well, I do have a few questions - might be supid, but here goes:

- Suppose I apply for 2 other schools in addition to NYU (Fordham, Baruch) and I get dinged from NYU for Fall but accepted to the others. I know I want to give NYU at least 2 tries before giving up completely, so if I flat out reject the other schools, does this look terrible if I want to go to those schools in the future (if NYU is hopeless)? Or should I ONLY apply to NYU this Fall, and if I get dinged, then apply to all 3 next semester?

- I have my 2 recommenders in mind with about 4 others that are good, but not AS good (in terms of how directly they work with me, how long ago it was since we've worked together, etc.) - should I just submit the 2 for now and if I get dinged, try to get the others to recommend? I know that reapplicants are only required to submit 1 more rec, but I am obviously trying to get in in one shot lol.

- Do I attempt the GMAT again before the deadline, or after I get dinged and try it in time for next semester?

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2008, 08:40
Tangaroo wrote:
Thanks for the input! Being a rookie as well, I do have a few questions - might be supid, but here goes:

- Suppose I apply for 2 other schools in addition to NYU (Fordham, Baruch) and I get dinged from NYU for Fall but accepted to the others. I know I want to give NYU at least 2 tries before giving up completely, so if I flat out reject the other schools, does this look terrible if I want to go to those schools in the future (if NYU is hopeless)? Or should I ONLY apply to NYU this Fall, and if I get dinged, then apply to all 3 next semester?

1)Who knows?
2)Probably.

If you're dead set on applying at least twice to Stern, then I would probably just apply to Stern in the fall and all 3 in the spring, if the fall option doesn't work out. However, you might change your mind later and decide that you want to start bschool in the fall, no matter where it is. So, it's up to you. I don't think the schools would be so sensitive about you not matriculating and reapplying later, especially not at the PT level.

Tangaroo wrote:
- I have my 2 recommenders in mind with about 4 others that are good, but not AS good (in terms of how directly they work with me, how long ago it was since we've worked together, etc.) - should I just submit the 2 for now and if I get dinged, try to get the others to recommend? I know that reapplicants are only required to submit 1 more rec, but I am obviously trying to get in in one shot lol.

I think you should just go with the best two right now. It's probably not a good idea for you to already think about contingency plans. You have a good shot at getting in. By planning for a second application to Stern, you're setting yourself up for failure the first time around. Just go for it, and put in your best application.

Tangaroo wrote:
- Do I attempt the GMAT again before the deadline, or after I get dinged and try it in time for next semester?

Do you think you can improve? a score of 670 or so won't make much of a difference. When do you plan on submitting your application? If you have the time, I would try to break 700 and have it in time for Stern to look at with your fall application. That's only if you think you can do it with a reasonable amount of time.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2008, 20:24
Tangaroo wrote:

You could always apply to all 3, if you only get into Fordham/Baruch you could defer the enrollment for a year and take a shot at nyu again. This way you have both those schools as a back-up. However, if your planning on applying to stern atleast twice, no point in wasting time the first shot. If you got in, then fordham/baruch were not needed.

Tangaroo wrote:

Stern always says only use more than 2 if the other ones can provide some additional perspective about you that isn't in the rest of your application.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2008, 08:25
kidderek wrote:
Do you think you can improve? a score of 670 or so won't make much of a difference. When do you plan on submitting your application? If you have the time, I would try to break 700 and have it in time for Stern to look at with your fall application. That's only if you think you can do it with a reasonable amount of time.

I planning to start the whole process when I get back from vacation, so like April 1st, and everything has to be in to them by May 15th. I'm really going to give it some thought first before I retest and submit another score in time for that date.

LINYCMBA wrote:
Stern always says only use more than 2 if the other ones can provide some additional perspective about you that isn't in the rest of your application.

The 2 that I was going to go with are both directors in my department, both of whom I work directly under. One of the other ones I'm considering is a high level manager in my former dept who can give some perspective on my previous work and this team that I was chosen to be a part of - should I ask all 3 then for this app?

And you are totally right kidderek - I should go into this whole heartedly instead of planning my contingency. I am always in the mindset of "don't jinx this!!" :lol:

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2008, 08:42
Tangaroo wrote:
I planning to start the whole process when I get back from vacation, so like April 1st, and everything has to be in to them by May 15th. I'm really going to give it some thought first before I retest and submit another score in time for that date.

Good luck Tangaroo!!

btw, I'll be applying wash sq #1 nights #2 weekends. which ones are you applying for?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2008, 13:36
Thanks! Good luck to you too! I'm also applying for the same options as you :o

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2008, 07:03
Do you guys know if there is any relationship in the difficulty of admission and time of apply?
For example, if I apply earlier, will it be easier and vice versa?
Thanks.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2008, 09:09
Hello all!!
You can add me to the wanabe sternie pile…

Stats:
GMAT: 750 (47Q 46V 5.0 AWA)
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Work: 7 years as a Quality Engineer
Demo 31 y/o white male, US citizen.

I’m sure I’ll be checking here a lot, especially come May / June.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2008, 09:13
bkk145 wrote:
Do you guys know if there is any relationship in the difficulty of admission and time of apply?
Thanks.

From what I've seen on previous threads, no. The 700+/3.4+ group seems to get their admits rather quickly, not always the rule, but most of the time.

The mid 650ish/3.3ish get admits as well, but have to endure a far longer process.

Some of the turnarounds were quick (mostly high gmat/high gpa) and some took a long time.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2008, 09:21
kidderek wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
Thanks.

From what I've seen on previous threads, no. The 700+/3.4+ group seems to get their admits rather quickly, not always the rule, but most of the time.

The mid 650ish/3.3ish get admits as well, but have to endure a far longer process.

Some of the turnarounds were quick (mostly high gmat/high gpa) and some took a long time.

Thanks a lot. Then my decision to apply to the program will be at the end of this month. I guess I barely missed the 700+/3.4+ group.

690/3.3 BS Engineering/3.9 MS IT/Age 27/6 years experience

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2008, 09:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60    Next  [ 1200 posts ]