GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2010, 13:10
MCJD4ever wrote:
Thanks for the additional feedback, ubs.

Does anyone know when NYU sends out dings/waitlist notifications? It would be so much easier if decisions were made a little faster...but it is what it is.

I'm reluctant to make the emotional commitment to start studying again right at this moment. My MGMAT class starts in just over a week. If they waitlist me, say, within the next 2 weeks or so, even though the MGMAT course doesn't end until 8/30, I will try to take the exam in mid-August. And if the adcom doesn't want to wait that long for me, then I'll just re-apply for Spring 2011.

When I got waitlisted, I received notification on their deadline of 12/1/09; not sure if this always applies though.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2010, 13:36
Well, if you go by statistics alone... something like 90% of everyone that re-takes the GMAT scores higher (MGMAT instructor quoted that figure). So, I doubt very much that you'll do worse... and with additional studying I'm sure you can easily bump it up 20-30pts to get within the 80% range.

My GMAT score was 610, so I've been on the fence about taking it a second time... I could easily have done better, but I zoned out on 1 question in the verbal (think I spent like 6 min on it for some crazy reason) and it threw my timing WAAY off and screwed my whole score up because I freaked out and had to start randomly guessing to make up time. Since I just made the 80% range, I figure my work experience and EC will balance it out.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck with whichever route you choose.

MCJD4ever wrote:
Thanks for your feedback, Nick79.

So, you too would recommend I take it again soon, huh? Ugh - it just makes my stomach turn. I wonder if a month (there goes my 4th of July Jersey shore plans LOL) of intense studying would really help?

I mean, I wanted to take a full Manhattan GMAT course. I have all of their materials, so maybe I could try studying with just their books.

I wonder if, even if my score is the same (or slightly worse) AdCom would still like the fact that I tried again.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern Part-time

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jul 2010, 21:00

Originally posted by MCJD4ever on 17 Jun 2010, 14:20.
Last edited by MCJD4ever on 04 Jul 2010, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2010, 20:26
MCJD and Carbon, I'm in the same boat with you guys. I have not heard back yet either and recieved a 610 on my GMAT. I am super nervous about being on the fence, I trully feel like it could go either way for me as well. I did improve my score 70 pts from 4yrs ago, but my verbal ended up extremely weak(I also went crazy on 1 question!). However I have decided not to restart studying for the gmats again, primarilly because I am waiting for some type of response from adcom before proceeding (hopefully good!). Plus, as you know the GMAT studying mentally drains you and requires alot of time and energy, effort which I personally only want to make if I have to.Either way hang in there, Ive also been going crazy checking my email! I am sure we will here back soon...I am inspired and encouraged with all the acceptances that have gone out so far...congrats to all. One question for group...do you guys think the 80% 610 min will be much higher this year? Even though this is a good guage from last year, it might be close to 640 this year...thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2010, 04:27
I got notification on June 15th but no official letter in the mail yet...should I be worried?!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern Part-time

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jul 2010, 21:00

Originally posted by MCJD4ever on 18 Jun 2010, 05:28.
Last edited by MCJD4ever on 04 Jul 2010, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2010, 18:37
Hey is anybody aware of any issues with KROLL following a change in job duties since the time of the application? My role changed (for the better really) since June 1st and so did my supervisor's name, but I let the ADcom know so that there wouldn't be any discrepancies. I told the whole truth in my application and I don't want any issues due to silly details.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2010, 20:29
Hi Guys, I have a question in regards to not working while enrolling in a PT program. I know when people are applying for PT programs, the are expected to work. What if you decided not to work after being admitted to NYU's PT program? Does NYU require their students to be working? How can this be enforced, and how would they know if their students are working or not? Is there some sort of check and balance in place? This is not to say that I have been admitted yet, but if I was admitted, I plan on not working, and taking a full time's course load. I'm just trying to find out if there are consequences for this type of action. Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2010, 11:37
mrturbo311,
You can not take a full time course load. If you are admitted you will send in your enrollment deposit and sign a document that states you will not be permitted to take more than 9 credits in fall and spring and 12 credits in the summer, which is basically one additional course per semester. I even think that in your first semester you need special permission to take 9 credits. There are people in my class who have gotten laid off so have petitioned to accelerate and take more credits, however you need to have completed all of your core courses first and it is decided on a case by case basis and is by no means guaranteed. So, you can decide not to work if you want, I guess ( I have no info on this), but don't expect to be able to take more courses. Additionally, as a new student you are low person on the totem pole for the lottery, electives will be filled with students who have seniority and are closer to graduation, before you are allowed to register for any of those additional classes. This is a part time program for working professionals, you can not manipulate the system to treat it as a full time program, if you get in.
Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2010, 11:47
Hi Langone2009,

Thanks for the prompt response. How many classes does 9 credits translate to? And how many credits/classes is a FT load? I'm estimating a course is 4 credits? Please let me know. Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2010, 13:26
Classes are generally 3 credits each, some are 1.5 credits. The program is designed to be completed in 2 to 6 years. You need 60 credits to graduate, so you can do the math for yourself. You should really spend some time looking around the website to familiarize yourself with the program.
www.stern.nyu.edu
If you click on "prospective students" you will find alot of info, you can look under both full time program and part time programs.
Also click on "current students" and then go to sternlinks, where you can get a lot of info, even without a stern ID or password.
You have to apply separately to part time and full time programs adn you can only apply to one. It is not fair to everyone else who is working to try to sneak into the part time program and treat it as a full time program. If you want to go full time then apply full time.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 09:05
hi guys,
i took the quant assessment test this weekend. it was pretty straightforward...
basic high school math. since it's been years since high school, i had trouble remembering all the math "rules". but the good thing is the test isn't timed, so i was able to google them to refresh my memory (thank goodness for google!)
it's 20 questions @ 5pts each, so you can get up to 4 wrong and still pass. it was pretty painless :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Schools: Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 09:16
today wrote:
hi guys,
i took the quant assessment test this weekend. it was pretty straightforward...
basic high school math. since it's been years since high school, i had trouble remembering all the math "rules". but the good thing is the test isn't timed, so i was able to google them to refresh my memory (thank goodness for google!)
it's 20 questions @ 5pts each, so you can get up to 4 wrong and still pass. it was pretty painless :)

I have already pre-scheduled the assessment for the July 4th weekend. Gives me enough time to not feel stressed about it.

Have you you guys joined the Facebook group? I'm in there!!!

The hardest part of this whole shindig is proving to be the medical assessment! My doctor is making me come in for an assessment even though she only needs to fill out info on my medical history. Not my current stats, just my immunization history. Why are doctors awful creatures? More importantly, why did I not pick a PCP near my job so I wouldn't have to take a day off for a visit? Anyway, the next appointment I could get was July 22nd, which is too close for comfort, but should be enough time to get the forms filled and sent.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 10:30
where is the facebook group?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 18:45
Interesting... no updates today?

Posting the spreadsheet link for the benefit of new posters to this thread:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=0
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 03:49
Hello,

I have not yet received my password to check the status of my Langone fall 2010 application. Anybody has faced similar problem?

Also, I had mailed my transcripts and 3rd essay, other than the shipping label was there anything else that had to be on the label so they can consolidate the online application with mailed documents?

I sent Stern admission an email yesterday and waiting for their reply. Getting very concerned.

Thanks,
Hardik
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Schools: Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 06:45
hardikrs wrote:
Hello,

I have not yet received my password to check the status of my Langone fall 2010 application. Anybody has faced similar problem?

Also, I had mailed my transcripts and 3rd essay, other than the shipping label was there anything else that had to be on the label so they can consolidate the online application with mailed documents?

I sent Stern admission an email yesterday and waiting for their reply. Getting very concerned.

Thanks,
Hardik

The password to check your status should have been included in the initial notification letter they sent you. When did you submit your application online? And when did you submit your mailings? If you sent everything in before May 15th, you should have received a confirmation e-mail with your password. Oh, and check your bulk/junk folder! If all else fails, definitely call up the Langone Admissions Office and ask what's going on.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 06:52
Hey guys, I received this generic e-mail; the subject line reads: GAV International Verification Notification‏

"This communication contains information that is confidential,proprietary in nature, and may also be attorney-client privilegedand/or work product privileged. It is for the exclusive use of theintended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) orthe person responsible for delivering it to the intendedrecipient(s), please note that any form of dissemination,distribution or copying of this communication is strictlyprohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received thiscommunication in error, please immediately notify the sender by replyingto this message and delete this email immediately. Thank you for your cooperation. Please be advised that neither Kroll, its affiliates, its employeesor agents accept liability for any errors, omissions or damagescaused by delays of receipt or by any virus infection in thismessage or its attachments, or which may otherwise arise as aresult of this e-mail transmission."

Does this mean they started the verification process? The e-mail doesn't really say much though. Any idea?!
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 06:58
Nick79,
It means that they have started the verification process. They will start calling your employers pretty soon. Atleast that's what happened in my case. My employer got the call on the same day. Hope this helps.
AT

Nick79 wrote:
Hey guys, I received this generic e-mail; the subject line reads: GAV International Verification Notification‏

"This communication contains information that is confidential,proprietary in nature, and may also be attorney-client privilegedand/or work product privileged. It is for the exclusive use of theintended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) orthe person responsible for delivering it to the intendedrecipient(s), please note that any form of dissemination,distribution or copying of this communication is strictlyprohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received thiscommunication in error, please immediately notify the sender by replyingto this message and delete this email immediately. Thank you for your cooperation. Please be advised that neither Kroll, its affiliates, its employeesor agents accept liability for any errors, omissions or damagescaused by delays of receipt or by any virus infection in thismessage or its attachments, or which may otherwise arise as aresult of this e-mail transmission."

Does this mean they started the verification process? The e-mail doesn't really say much though. Any idea?!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 07:00
Ok, so i just did some basic math on the gmat scores of admitted applicants on this forum:

Mean 695
Median 700
10th % 641
80th % 720

Of course, this is not a representative sample, but just to give an indication. Usually class profiles stay relatively constant, but in this market I would think everything skews up. PT'ers now include people who in the past would have considered only FT, but given the job market....who knows? Did you check the class profiles of other competitive PT programs, like Berkeley, Chicago, Northwestern, Emory, UCLA?

MCJD4ever wrote:
hi ks2010!

I dont think the 80% range minimum will change all that much. From what I have seen/heard, the class profile is largely the same each year. I don't see the 80% range going much above 630 (if that). They do accept people below a 610, so those people (thankfully for low GMAT-ers like us!) keep the average from going to high lol

Ugh - the test was such a nemesis for me. I was literally shaking during the math portion. I was completely relaxed during the essays (which are complete BS if you ask me), and the verbal. And the best part is, I AM good at math, as my job (Risk Management/Compliance in Alternative Investments) demands that I be!

Best of luck you ks2010 - keeping my fingers crossed for all of us. My next GMAT course starts next Monday. Would be nice if I knew an answer (ding, waitlist) by then so it would increase my motivate to really make the emotional commitment (again).
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jun 2010, 07:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  31    Next  [ 614 posts ] 

NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap