Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618823 [14]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [11]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion [#permalink]
D seems to be the answer.
As in A "assertion for" seems incorrect

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618823 [3]
Send PM
Re: Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion for a force in the earth that attracted objects towards it; he named this force gravity.

(A) Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion for

(B) Observing an apple fall from a tree is what made Newton come up with the assertion that

(C) Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion that

(D) Newton, observing an apple fall from a tree, came up with the assertion of

(E) Observing an apple fall down from a tree, Newton was able to come up with the assertion that

Official Explanation:

Answer: C

Assertion is the same thing as a claim and must be followed by that. Thus, options A and D can be eliminated. The use of is what made in B makes it unnecessarily wordy and cumbersome. Similarly, the use of the redundant fall down and was able to makes E unnecessarily wordy. C states the same thing in fewer words and is the correct answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [4]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bunuel

Isn't the sentence incomplete without "there is": Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion that there is

If we plug choice C in the sentence : Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion that a force in the earth that attracted objects towards it; he named this force gravity.

It looks like a fragment. This was the main reason I eliminated this choice and selected D instead.

Kindly help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
AndrewN can you have a shot at this

Thanks

I don't find the OA convincing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion [#permalink]
Bookmarks
AndrewN wrote:
MPRS22 wrote:
AndrewN can you have a shot at this

Thanks

I don't find the OA convincing

If you find the OA unconvincing, MPRS22, you have good reason: the answer cannot be (C) as it appears above. My take on the answer choices:

Bunuel wrote:
Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion for a force in the earth that attracted objects towards it; he named this force gravity.

As a general rule, I do not like to eliminate answers based on idioms unless I know the idiom is off. Could Newton have come up with an assertion for a force? It kind of sounds as though he made the assertion on behalf of the force, and that interpretation would, of course, be ridiculous. We have nothing else to conjure up to justify for, though. That is, I could make an assertion for (on behalf of) someone else, as strange as that may sound, but I could not make an assertion for an idea.

What I like about this answer choice is that the opening phrase clearly modifies Newton, and the main clause flows seamlessly: Newton + [verb] + [object]. In my first pass of the answer choices, I would leave this one alone.

Bunuel wrote:
(B) Observing an apple fall from a tree is what made Newton come up with the assertion that

This is an easy elimination. Nothing made Newton come up with an assertion. Rather, Newton thought of an idea upon observing nature. There is no need to turn the observing phrase into a gerund and follow it up with this sloppy clause construct in what made... I will save that for my discussion of (C) below. This one should already be out of the running.

Bunuel wrote:

To be clear, an assertion that something is perfectly idiomatic. The problem, however, lies in the grammatical quagmire we find ourselves stuck in as soon as we hit the semicolon.

Newton came up with the assertion that a force in the earth that attracted objects towards it

The line above is NOT an independent clause. There are two ways to make it one:

1) Place some additional information either before or after a force:

• BEFORE the noun—there was a force
  • there existed a force

• AFTER the noun—a force existed
  • a force was present

2) Remove the second that to allow attracted to act as a verb within the subordinated clause:

Newton came up with the assertion that a force in the earth that attracted objects towards it

In the absence of one of these alterations, choice (C) must be incorrect. I would eliminate it.

Bunuel wrote:

The placement of the phrase as an interrupter of the main clause is grammatically acceptable, albeit less preferred than what we saw in the original sentence. It is simply easier to follow a modifying phrase followed by a main clause than it is to start the main clause, put that thought on hold for a moment to deliver additional information, and then pop back into the sentence. Apart from that peccadillo, though, there is nothing to argue against here: the assertion of something works idiomatically, and, most importantly, we get an independent clause ahead of the semicolon. Essentially, Newton came up with an assertion of a force that did something. Yes, that sentence checks out. Put this one on hold and look for an easier elimination if you can find it.

Bunuel wrote:
(E) Observing an apple fall down from a tree, Newton was able to come up with the assertion that

Now this is more like it. Fall down is commonly heard, but in the sentence, down is not necessary to convey the image of what Newton saw. The same can be said of was able to. It is not exactly incorrect, but there is nothing wrong with the earlier, more direct iterations that use the simple past (i.e. came) instead. Finally, that at the end of the underlined portion is flat-out wrong, as discussed above.

After the first cut, between (A) and (D), the latter is the safer option. Rather than chase an answer that may sound better in (A), we should look to get behind the one that is harder to argue against. The idiom assertion for is incorrect in (A), while (D) has a slightly awkward placement of a phrase in the beginning, but not one that is wrong. For this reason, the best answer is (D).

I have noticed a few irregularities with Aristotle questions. Solver beware. (And, as much as possible, stick to official questions for Verbal.)

- Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I have a question, would it also be right to reject A on the basis of incorrect cause and effect in the verbing modifier.

What i beleive is the, the verbing is usually the cause and the noun+verb part is the effect.
Eg: the bird flew away, flapping its wings.
In this case the flapping its wings is the cause and thr flying away is the effect.

Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks in advance.

Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
gauranggarg wrote:
Hi Andrew,
I have a question, would it also be right to reject A on the basis of incorrect cause and effect in the verbing modifier.

What i beleive is the, the verbing is usually the cause and the noun+verb part is the effect.
Eg: the bird flew away, flapping its wings.
In this case the flapping its wings is the cause and thr flying away is the effect.

Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, gauranggarg. I think the causal relationship you outlined is fine; your conclusion based on it, regarding (A), is off the mark. The same cause-and-effect relationship exists:

CAUSE: Observing an apple fall from a tree
EFFECT: Newton came up with [an idea]

If we wanted to map the sentence onto your bird one and add "by" to clearly delineate the causal relationship, we could do so:

1) Newton came up with [an idea] by observing an apple fall from a tree.
2) The bird flew away by flapping its wings.

In short, there is no problem with the modifier in (A). I hope the issue makes sense now.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Life
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Education)
Send PM
Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion [#permalink]
Kudos
The OA is wrong. It should be D.
Quote:
a force in the earth that attracted objects towards it; he named this force gravity.

In the non-underlined part, a semi-colon is used, the use of whose suggests that the two are independent clauses.
Hold on to me, observe the that in the non-underlined portion. "That" is used to define the "force" and not to act as a modifier.

e.g.
GMAT, a test that attracts many MBA aspirants. (Not Independent)
and not:
GMAT-a test that attracts many MBA aspirants, is conducted throughout the year. (Independent)

So the correct answer is D.
Quote:
Newton, observing an apple fall from a tree, came up with the assertion of a force in the earth that attracted objects towards it; he named this force gravity.
Simply put, he asserted the presence of such a force.

C would be correct, if the sentence were something like this:
Quote:
Observing an apple fall from a tree, Newton came up with the assertion that a force in the earth that attracted objects towards it, is strong; he named this force gravity
Basically, giving the force an action!

Thanks
I would love to hear from Experts if anything is wrong in my logic above.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618823 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Official Explanation from Aristotle:

Answer: C

Assertion is the same thing as a claim and must be followed by that. Thus, options A and D can be eliminated. The use of is what made in B makes it unnecessarily wordy and cumbersome. Similarly, the use of the redundant fall down and was able to makes E unnecessarily wordy. C states the same thing in fewer words and is the correct answer
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts