Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 795 [35]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [14]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4224 [6]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [2]
Send PM
Re: Of the 800 students at a certain college, 250 students live on campus [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
blog wrote:
OF the 800 students at a certain college, 250 students live on campus and are more than 20 years old. How many of the 800 students live on campus and are 20 years old or less?

1. 640 students at the college are more than 20 years old.
2. 60 students at the college are 20 years old or less and live off campus.

C. Use a double set matrix

We find that the number of On campus under 20 yrs old =100.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Of the 800 students at a certain college, 250 students live on campus [#permalink]
C

from stat 1 all you can tell is the number of 20 plus yr olds who live off campus

from stat 2 all you can tell is the number of less than 20s who live off campus

together, you can find the number of total students who live off campus, and therefore, the number that live on campus . as you already know the number who live on campus that are 20 plus, the difference between the total and that number will be the number of less than 20s who live on campus.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Quote:
OF the 800 students at a certain college, 250 students live on campus and are more than 20 years old. How many of the 800 students live on campus and are 20 years old or less?

niks18 Bunuel amanvermagmat gmatbusters chetan2u
I have a query regarding approach by reto. In actual mock I was confused in forming such a table by
not knowing what to label rows and columns. Do the labels need to be mutually exclusive, eg. If a column
is labelled football then next column can not be baseball, it has to be those not playing football. In simpler
words, the two events CAN NOT occur together at any point of time. (mutually exclusive)

Can this problem be also solved using venn diagrams?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5581 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
the two events CAN NOT occur together at any point of time. (mutually exclusive)
YES

YES

adkikani wrote:
Quote:

niks18 Bunuel amanvermagmat gmatbusters chetan2u
I have a query regarding approach by reto. In actual mock I was confused in forming such a table by
not knowing what to label rows and columns. Do the labels need to be mutually exclusive, eg. If a column
is labelled football then next column can not be baseball, it has to be those not playing football. In simpler
words, the two events CAN NOT occur together at any point of time. (mutually exclusive)

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92904 posts