It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Olympic Champion: I can barely explain it.Everything went perfectly,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Olympic Champion: I can barely explain it.Everything went perfectly, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:11) correct 46% (01:09) wrong based on 242 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Olympic Champion: I can barely explain it. Everything went perfectly, from my training to the weather to the race itself. I will never run faster than that world record time; in fact, I’m not sure that anyone ever will.

Coach: Be careful when you say that. Any true champion knows that even the most unbelievable of records will likely be broken someday.

Which of the following can be inferred from the coach’s response?

A.The Olympic champion’s world record will be broken someday.
B.True champions do not make predictions about whether their records will be broken.
C. The Olympic champion is not a true champion.
D. No matter how unbelievable a world record is, it will someday be broken.
E. A champion who does not believe his record could be broken is not a true champion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Olympic Champion: I can barely explain it.Everything went perfectly, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 06:12
IMO answer is E. It is the correct contrapositive

True Champion ----> Knows that any record can be broken

Does not know any record can be broken ----> Not True Champion

Can someone provide the OA and OE please. Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
P
Re: Olympic Champion: I can barely explain it.Everything went perfectly, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 09:35
pushpitkc wrote:
Olympic Champion: I can barely explain it. Everything went perfectly, from my training to the weather to the race itself. I will never run faster than that world record time; in fact, I’m not sure that anyone ever will.

Coach: Be careful when you say that. Any true champion knows that even the most unbelievable of records will likely be broken someday.

Which of the following can be inferred from the coach’s response?

A.The Olympic champion’s world record will be broken someday.
B.True champions do not make predictions about whether their records will be broken.
C. The Olympic champion is not a true champion.
D. No matter how unbelievable a world record is, it will someday be broken.
E. A champion who does not believe his record could be broken is not a true champion.

Answer choice are very close ..IMO answer is E ...Though not very sure :roll: :shock: :|
At first sight , i can eliminate B easily ...
A-- it can't be inferred ---Coach says - likely be broken --kind of speculation , but answer choice say " will be broken " -- kind of certainty ..
B---out of scope
C---he never says that athlete is a true champion or not ...moreover the athlete never says that his record will not be broken --" he is not sure "--again a uncertainty --can't infer this ...
D--Again it is sounding as it is certain that record will break ...coach says that likely to be broken --probably not certain ..--discard this
E -- yes , it is like p ->Q , ~Q -> ~P
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 04:16
I will go with option E.

All the options are pretty close though
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 19:34
Good work mohit2491, sobby, pra1785 and ankita03

Official explanation by Veritas
In an Inference question, the correct answer must be true.
Accordingly, you should hold every answer choice up to that test: if it could be false, then you can eliminated it.

Choice A here is probably true, but not guaranteed: the coach says that even the most unbelievable records will LIKELY be broken, but not that they will all be broken. Note that predictions are very hard to make in Inference questions, as much like your insurance policy they're subject to the "act of god" clause - if a meteor hits the earth and wipes out humankind, then no world records will ever be broken!

Choice B is similarly incorrect: true champions know that records will likely broken, but that doesn't mean that they cannot make predictions about whether their record is one of the few that may never be broken.

Choice C may look tempting, but look back at what the Olympic champion says: "I'm not sure" the record will ever be broken. This stops short of saying "it will not be broken," so you cannot conclusively say that he is not a true champion.

Choice D goes just a bit too far, again because the coach's point is that records will likely be broken, which is a bit short of saying that all will be broken.

Choice E is correct
, in large part because of the adequately-measured wording "could be broken." Since any true champion knows that a record could be broken, if a champion does not at least think that the record could be broken he then does not fit that definition of a true champion.

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Re: Olympic Champion: I can barely explain it.Everything went perfectly,   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 19:34

Olympic Champion: I can barely explain it.Everything went perfectly,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap