Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: On the test day [#permalink]
I went thru the post by using the link (above). Somewhere the following was mentioned -

"11. Get some food, a sugary drink, and some water with you to the testing center. It is better to have more. You never know how you will be feeling, so try to be prepared to anything; often when nervous, the stomach gets a mind of its own. Good nutrition for several days before the test is also good; it lets you be physically well and enhances endurance."

I guess I will drink an energy drink just before leaving for the test center. This will provide me energy at least for 5-6 hours (enough for the test). The test is at a time when I usually take lunch. And the last thing I want is feeling drowsy. Since I wont be eating n e thing during the break I guess the energy drink is a viable choice.

What do guys reckon ? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You might want to consider bringing a bag of almonds, other nuts, energy bar, etc to eat during break.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
greatchap wrote:
I went thru the post by using the link (above). Somewhere the following was mentioned -

"11. Get some food, a sugary drink, and some water with you to the testing center. It is better to have more. You never know how you will be feeling, so try to be prepared to anything; often when nervous, the stomach gets a mind of its own. Good nutrition for several days before the test is also good; it lets you be physically well and enhances endurance."

I guess I will drink an energy drink just before leaving for the test center. This will provide me energy at least for 5-6 hours (enough for the test). The test is at a time when I usually take lunch. And the last thing I want is feeling drowsy. Since I wont be eating n e thing during the break I guess the energy drink is a viable choice.

What do guys reckon ? :)

I gave some hints on a test day in my GMAT debrief a while ago where I attacked the practise of overstating the importance of food and drink on the test day. You might want to look at that post, you can find the link in my signature bellow.

The point is that you shouldn't do anything that could jeopardize your concentration on the test day. Said that, you should try to behave usually, as much as possible. If you don't drink energy drinks and coffee regularly, you might consider avoiding them on the G-day also because packing yourself with coffeine and taurine can lead you to nervousness and hypertension. If that is the case, stick to coke or some other carbonated sugar-packed drink - it will provide enough energy.

Probably the most important thing is to have a night of quality sleep before the test. I am not a morning person and tend to stay late every night, so I had scheduled my exam for 14:30 (luckily, I could). That way, I slept untill 11 and entered test center totally relaxed. Other things - try to do what you do everyday. I had usual breakfast, had a cup of coffe just as I have everyday and even read a newspaper - I tried to do what I do on the weekends, this is somewhat usual Saturday morning routine for me.

In the test center I brought just one can of energy drink and one cereal bar, but that's something I do almost everyday, so I did it on the G-day to.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I agree... I would not do anything that is out of the ordinary. Get up/sleep same time, eat foods you are familiar with, do not try any new diets etc.

Plus, as stated, do not underestimate what a regular routine of 8+hrs of sleep has on your mental abilities...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I know guys you are right, the best way is to make sure you treat the test day as a normal day and take plenty of rest the day before (and at night).

To be honest I am not a coffee person. Infact I have never tried coffee in my life. The reason I tried energy drink is because I was sleeping very late and was getting only 5-6 hours of sleep. Thus at noon I would feel drowsy and energy drink did what it was suppose to do.

That is why I thought I could try that so I can stay alert during the test. After the test there is no need for me to drink those drinks anymore.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Just try to stick a a schedule the week before.

I brought a granola bar with me, but I was so nervous, I couldn't eat anything (and I like to eat :-D ). I wouldn't drink anything either - all I could think is if I drink something I will have to go to the bathroom right in the middle and it will be all I can think of.
GMAT Club Bot