Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 365 [155]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [35]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [16]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [9]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Once they had seen the report from the medical examiner, the investiga [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Friend
It cant be A

read it again and get the total picture
apart from TENSE issue
there is another Wrong COMPARISON ISSUE here
Once they had seen the report from the medical examiner, the investigators did not doubt whether the body recovered from the river was the man
the Body=the man

pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Once they had seen the report from the medical examiner, the investigators did not doubt whether the body recovered from the river was the man who had attempted to escape from the state prison.

(A) did not doubt whether the body recovered from the river was
(B) have no doubt whether the body recovered from the river was
(C) had not doubted that the body recovered from the river was
(D) have no doubt whether the body recovered from the river was that of
(E) had no doubt that the body recovered from the river was that of

Official Answer: E

I chose A. Could someone explain me what's wrong with A?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [14]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Once they had seen the report from the medical examiner, the investiga [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A has 2 problems

1) DID NOT DOUBT should be HAD NO DOUBTS
because if you notice the start of the sentence,it says "ONCE THEY BALH BLAH BLAH" which means when they started off with the experiment,tthey had some doubts whch got resolved when they BLAH BLAH BLAH...this EFFECT is not represented as well by DID NOT DOUBT as by HAD NO DOUBTS

2) "BODY RECOVERED WAS" THE MAN
new found BODY is being compared with MAN when actually
new found BODY should be compared with THE BODY OF THE MAN..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
During the question I was trying to match PAST PERFECT to SIMPLE PAST. I picked A originally since "did not doubt" sounded like SIMPLE PAST tense to me. I couldn't understand why E was correct. This was bothering me all morning until I realized that I incorrectly thought "had no doubt" was in PAST PERFECT tense. In fact it is in SIMPLE PAST tense. Everytime I see "had" my mind thinks past perfect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Just a basic question . The Sentence structure is Once X had (Past perfect)Y Happened (Past tense). Is "Had no Doubt" is a past tense or perfect tense?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Kudos
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Once they had seen the report from the medical examiner, the investigators did not doubt whether the body recovered from the river was the man who had attempted to escape from the state prison.

Official Answer: E

I chose A. Could someone explain me what's wrong with A?
Thanks

The body .... was the man ! this's even nonsensical. It should be "the body .... was that of .."
A,B and C are out.
At the beginning of the sentence it says " Once they had seen that indicate that there is something happened before a simple past event. So, we need to use a simple past to make sense of the prompt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
Am still doubting why D cannot be the answer, How can had doubt be in simple past tense. Had doubt must be past perfect and Doubted is simple past. Im sorry if i sound moron but am really not understanding what am i missing out here ??
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [11]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
longhaul123 wrote:
Am still doubting why D cannot be the answer, How can had doubt be in simple past tense. Had doubt must be past perfect and Doubted is simple past. Im sorry if i sound moron but am really not understanding what am i missing out here ??

Hi longhaul123, the structure of past perfect is:

had + past particiiple

Past particiiple of the verb doubt is doubted.

So, the past perfect tense of the verb doubt would be had doubted. Hence, had doubt is not past perfect.

Incidentally, the real source of confusion here is that in this sentence, doubt is not used as a verb, but as a noun.

When used as noun, following would be the various tense forms (note that have is the verb here):

I have a doubt.
- Present tense

I had a doubt.
- Past tense

I have had a doubt.
- Present perfect tense

I had had a doubt.
- Past Perfect

When doubt is used as a verb, following would be the various tense forms:

I doubt.
- Present tense

I doubted.
- Past tense

I have doubted.
- Present perfect tense

I had doubted.
- Past Perfect

The structures have had and had had are often a source of confusion for test-takers. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses have had and had had. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

File comment: 'have had', 'has had', and 'had had'
Usage of had had.pdf [17.09 KiB]
Downloaded 266 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
There is no need to make one's life miserable by going into the aspect of past perfect tense and past tense first. After all, you cannot compare a dead body to a man. It should be only in the possessive case of a man. Therefore A, B, and C can be given the boot.

Between D and E, basic intuition can tell us that use of the present tense 'have' in choice D has no licit place in this context.
Therefore, E is the ultimate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Bookmarks
It should jump off the screen when we see the two different comparisons: "the body was the man" and "the body was that of the man", hence A, B, and C are out.

(D) have no doubt whether the body recovered from the river was that of - the past perfect tense in the beginning indicates that the verb "have" is incorrect;

(E) had no doubt that the body recovered from the river was that of - good
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
If we can follow the sequence of this events clearly in this question, it will help us arrive at the right answer choice quickly.

Let’s see here: After the investigators saw the report, they had no doubt about the identity of the body.

Now, the sentence says,
Once they had seen the report…. The investigators … (past tense) no doubt … was the man…

When we scan the options, we see that there are only two options with ‘had’ at the beginning. We can eliminate the other options right away.

Option D is OUT because ‘have’ signifies present tense and we need past tense here. Substitute the option back into the question to see the tense jump.

Option B is OUT of the running because it incorrectly compares ‘the body’ to ‘the man’. What it means is a ‘the body was that of …’

Therefore, Option E is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Adding to the discussion, between D & E. There is a subtle meaning based discussion. IF you dont have a doubt about something, you mention that something. YOu dont still deliberate. Hence the usage of whether in D doesnt go well with the "no doubt".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [4]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A humble request - Please give KUDOS if you like the below explanation. Motivation helps!
Let us first dissect the sentence.
Once they had seen the report from the medical examiner, - this is a phrase that is modifying the investigators. Here the past perfect tense verb had is used meaning that we will compare it with another past event.
the investigators did not doubt whether the body recovered from the river was the man who had attempted to escape from the state prison.
‘The body …was the man‘ is incorrect. In this case ‘The body… was that of‘ is needed.
The two events that happened in the past that are compared are
1) Earlier event with ‘had‘ of seeing the report.
2) The later event of doubting.
"had no doubt" is not in PAST PERFECT tense. In fact it is in SIMPLE PAST tense. Here doubt is used as a noun and not an action. Hence had no doubt is in simple past.

If you are still reading this post I humbly request you to please give KUDOS.

‘The body …was the man‘ is incorrect. In this case ‘The body… was that of‘ is needed.
"had no doubt" is needed to have the effect of comparing two events in the past
Doubt should be followed by that instead of whether.

The use of had is incorrect in this sentence.

Please motivate me and don’t forget to give KUDOS after you have finished reading the post.
Answer is E
UNC Kenan Flagler Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

1. The sequence of events is (i) the body is recovered from the river and (ii) investigators examine the report and have no doubt
2. All the latest - 1 events get past perfect tense (had)
3. Past perfect tense also requires had to be followed by a verb

Options A, B and C - Can be eliminated because (whether the body recovered from the river was) it erroneously refers to the body as the man. The body actually is that of the man is the correct usage

Options D and E - The event occurred in the past so we need past tense and option E uses that using 'had'
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

(A) did not doubt whether the body recovered from the river was -> there are 2 issues, 1) tense error, we need "had v3 form", 2) Incorrect comparison of "the body" with "the man".

(B) have no doubt whether the body recovered from the river was -> Same as A.

(C) had not doubted that the body recovered from the river was -> we have incorrect comparison of "the body" with "the man".

(D) have no doubt whether the body recovered from the river was that of -> Same as A.

(E) had no doubt that the body recovered from the river was that of -> It is better. Comparison is improved as well, of "the body" with " the body of the man".

So, I think E. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Once they had seen the report from the medical examiner, the investiga [#permalink]
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

Hi experts egmat GMATNinja AndrewN

I have a question about the option (E). If we have 'that of' referring to 'body of', will it be wordy?
So we have 'the body recovered from the review was the body of the man'.

I think body and man can be referred to each other then I selected option (A).
It is as we say "This colour is green" rather than say "This colour is that of green"
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Foi2Evei2 wrote:
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

Hi experts egmat GMATNinja AndrewN

I have a question about the option (E). If we have 'that of' referring to 'body of', will it be wordy?
So we have 'the body recovered from the review was the body of the man'.

I think body and man can be referred to each other then I selected option (A).
It is as we say "This colour is green" rather than say "This colour is that of green"

Hello, Foi2Evei2. First of all, I feel the need to stress that wordiness is not a compelling reason to eliminate an answer choice. The clear and concise expression of vital meaning is what we are after, and, depending on the context of the sentence, we may have to use more words to convey that meaning. (The nondescript awkward and wordy are two of the so-called explanations from the Official Guide that I have a hard time stomaching.) Yes, I can see your point; at the same time, in the sentence at hand, we need to be clear that the body (a dead human being) and the man (a living one) are not exactly one and the same. It is the man who attempted to escape prison; the body, not the man, was found in the river. Hence, the body was that of the man is appropriate in the sentence. (Regarding your sample sentence, there is no distinction between living green and dead green, so that of is unnecessary.) Furthermore, had no doubt that in (E) is more idiomatically sound than did not doubt whether in (A), although the test places less emphasis on idioms than it used to.

I hope that helps clarify your concerns. Thank you for thinking to ask, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

Concepts tested here: Tenses + Comparison

• A comparison can only be made between similar things.
• If a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action; the simple past tense is used to refer to the most recent action.
• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.

A: Trap:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly compares "the body recovered from the river" to "the man who had attempted to escape from the state prison"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

B:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "have" to refer to the latest of multiple actions that concluded in the past - the man attempting to escape, the investigators seeing the report from the medical examiner, and the investigators having no doubt that the body was that of the man; remember, if a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action; the simple past tense is used to refer to the most recent action, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.
2/ Option B incorrectly compares "the body recovered from the river" to "the man who had attempted to escape from the state prison"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

C:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had not doubted" to refer to the latest of multiple actions that concluded in the past - the man attempting to escape, the investigators seeing the report from the medical examiner, and the investigators having no doubt that the body was that of the man; remember, if a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action; the simple past tense is used to refer to the most recent action.
2/ Option C incorrectly compares "the body recovered from the river" to "the man who had attempted to escape from the state prison"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

D:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "have" to refer to the latest of multiple actions that concluded in the past - the man attempting to escape, the investigators seeing the report from the medical examiner, and the investigators having no doubt that the body was that of the man; remember, if a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action; the simple past tense is used to refer to the most recent action, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.

E: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly uses the simple past tense verb "had" to the latest of multiple actions that concluded in the past - the man attempting to escape, the investigators seeing the report from the medical examiner, and the investigators having no doubt that the body was that of the man; remember, if a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action.
2/ Option E correctly compares "the body recovered from the river" to "that (the body) of the man who had attempted to escape from the state prison".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts