Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: One legacy of Madison Avenue’s recent campaign to appeal to people fif [#permalink]
In choice A, the plural pronoun their does not agree in number with the singular noun person. Choices C, D, and E can be faulted for failing to complete the construction One legacy ... is with a noun that matches the noun legacy; these choices use verb forms--the infinitive to realize or the present participle realizing --in place of a noun such as realization. Further, when in C and D is less precise than as in characterizing a prolonged and gradual process such as aging. B is the best answer

Credits : souvik101990
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: One legacy of Madison Avenues recent campaign to appeal to people fif [#permalink]
What is this parallel structure people are talking about in this question.?? Noun to Noun Parallelism.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: One legacy of Madison Avenues recent campaign to appeal to people fif [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Piyushggmat wrote:
What is this parallel structure people are talking about in this question.?? Noun to Noun Parallelism.

Hello Piyushggmat,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the parallel structure here is actually between two clauses - "people age" and "their concerns change"; both clauses follow the simple structure "noun + verb".

The parallelism marker here is the conjunction "as"; the phrase "as people age, their concerns change" is just an inverted version of the construction "their concerns change as people age", so the parallel structure here is "clause + conjunction + clause"; remember, any elements linked by conjunction must be parallel.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Piyushggmat wrote:

Hi Piyushggmat,

In the correct option, a noun (legacy) is parallel to another noun (realization):

1. One legacy of Madison Avenue’s recent campaign to appeal to people fifty years old and over is the realization that as people age, their concerns change as well.

The realization is a better fit here (for legacy) than either to realize or realizing.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos