Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 23:17 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 23:17
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35779 [26]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35779 [4]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 923
Send PM
One of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:
For forum members, aspirants, and non-experts:
All correct answers that contain good explanations will be awarded ONE KUDOS.

Exceptional answers may be "bumped" to Best Community Reply.

Kudos will be awarded after the OE is posted.

The correct answer is option D.

A) of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased

B) of five computers is now purchased by a person whose age is fifty or older, compared to just one of nine computers that were purchased

C) computer in five are now purchased by people aged fifty or older, compared to just one in nine

D) computer in five is now purchased by a person aged fifty or older, compared with just one in nine

E) in five computers is now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: One of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or [#permalink]
Kudos
One of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased in 2001.

A) of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased Incorrect

SV error - One is singular, are plural

B) of five computers is now purchased by a person whose age is fifty or older, compared to just one of nine computers that were purchased Incorrect

idioms error - age is fifty or older, like age is fifty or age is older; age is fifty or more correct idioms

C) computer in five are now purchased by people aged fifty or older, compared to just one in nine Incorrect

SV error - One is singular, are plural

D) computer in five is now purchased by a person aged fifty or older, compared with just one in nine Correct

E) in five computers is now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased Incorrect

idioms error - aged fifty years or more, double age uses wrong
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1300 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Re: One of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or [#permalink]
Kudos
One of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased in 2001.

A) of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased-> Subject verb agreement issue. "Are" is incorrect for "one of five".

B) of five computers is now purchased by a person whose age is fifty or older, compared to just one of nine computers that were purchased -> "a person who aged", we can say " a person aged". Further, "were" is incorrect, Subject verb agreement issue.

C) computer in five are now purchased by people aged fifty or older, compared to just one in nine- > Subject verb agreement issue. "Are" is incorrect for "one in five".

D) computer in five is now purchased by a person aged fifty or older, compared with just one in nine -> No subject verb agreement issue. Let's keep it.

E) in five computers is now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased -> "one in five" and "one of nine" is not parallel.

So, I think D. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
A) of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased — “one of X” needs a singular verb. Eliminate.

B) of five computers is now purchased by a person whose age is fifty or older, compared to just one of nine computers that were purchased — very wordy and that’s made me wary of this. Keep but not a strong keep.

C) computer in five are now purchased by people aged fifty or older, compared to just one in nine - “One in X” needs a singular verb. Eliminate.

D) computer in five is now purchased by a person aged fifty or older, compared with just one in nine — nothing obvious. Eliminate B after reviewing this.

E) in five computers is now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased — “one in five” compared with one “of” five. Not sure why was this change needed but again makes me wary.

When you review B, D and E together, you notice the more idiomatic construction “aged fifty or older” is just so much more idiomatic.

D is the answer because nothing about D makes me wary.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35779 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zhanbo wrote:
Note: The phrase "compared
zhanbo wrote:
Note: The phrase "compared with" is used to compare similar things, while the phrase "compared to" is used to compare dissimilar things. Does such distinction play a role in this question?

zhanbo , no.

The distinction is not tested.

I've scoured official guides and not found a question whose correct answer turns on the distinction.

Ron Purewal, formerly of Manhattan Prep, apparently did the same thing quite awhile ago and came to the same conclusion.
See here.
The 6th edition of Manhattan Prep's Sentence Correction book does not distinguish between the two. (I don't have the latest edition right at hand.)
I'm quoting from page 223:
Note: The GMAT ignores the traditional distinction between COMPARED TO (emphasizing similarities) and COMPARED WITH (emphasizing differences).

Mike McGarry of Magoosh concurs.
See this post, here and scroll down to "Comparisons with TO." See also the Magoosh GMAT Idiom Ebook, at page 12, which you can download from this post, here.

Hope that answer helps.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35779 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

Quote:

A) of five computers are now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased

B) of five computers is now purchased by a person whose age is fifty or older compared to just one of nine computers that were purchased

C) computer in five are now purchased by people aged fifty or older, compared to just one in nine

D) computer in five is now purchased by a person aged fifty or older, compared with just one in nine

E) in five computers is now purchased by people aged fifty years or more, compared with just one of nine purchased

• Split #1: SUBJECT/VERB agreement

One of/in five Xs is singular and should be coupled with the verb is [purchased].
→ Correct: One in five Americans is Latino (LatinX).
→ Correct: One of five candidates at the academy fails before the end of the first semester.

Options A and C incorrectly use are.
ELIMINATE A and C

• Split #2: Idiom/Construction

To talk about age, we say aged 50 years or older, not aged 50 years or more
→ You may hear "or more" in colloquial or informal speech, but "or older" is idiomatic.

Option E incorrectly uses "or more."

Option E also contains a construction issue. It's small and bothersome but not enough on its own to eliminate E.
The second "purchased" is not necessary and in fact sets up a strange construction in which it almost sounds as though the noun computers, which is modified by "one in five," were being compared with purchased.
Now, we can omit nouns. Such omission is called ellipsis and is correctly used in option D.
But if we omit the noun the second time, which in its first mention is coupled via the linking verb is with the subject complement purchased, we do not need to include the adjective purchased again.
ELIMINATE OPTION E

• Split #3: Style/Rhetorical construction

Option B is not well-written, a fact that is easier to see when we compare (B) to (D).
Concision tops the list of reasons that option B is inferior to option D.
a person whose age is (B) is a needlessly long way to say a person aged
→ we don't need to repeat the information computers that were purchased: we know what "one in nine" refers to.
ELIMINATE B

The best answer is D.

NOTES

GMAC does not test the traditional difference between compare to and compare with.
Spend ZERO time on the issue.
I answered zhanbo 's question about the matter in this post, here.

COMMENTS

beeblebrox (great username!), welcome to SC Butler.

ravigupta2912 , this sentence made me laugh:
D is the answer because nothing about D makes me wary.

For all of you, there will indeed be moments when you have analyzed the grammar and style as much as you can, and one answer does not bother you.
Pick that one.
You may not be able to articulate why it does not bother you, but after decent mastery of grammar rules and consistent reading of prose written in English, you will develop a sense for which option is better or worse than the others. (Please, do not look for one correct answer. Eliminate the four worst answers, an approach that the wryly funny sentence captures perfectly.)

These answers range from very good to excellent. Nice work!

Apart from idiom issue in E, I think another issue could be people vs person. One in five computers can be purchased by one person. It sounds logical why plural (people) would purchase one computer. This way, we can arrive at Option D.

Thank You
Vighnesh
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts