GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 31 Mar 2020, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:35) correct 63% (01:37) wrong based on 1101 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is remaining empathetic to the needs of patients in the face of all the rigorous training

A. facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is remaining

B. facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is to remain

C. faced by engineering practitioners today apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, which remain

D. faced by Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, and they remain

E. facing Engineering practitioners today, is absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, and besides remaining

Originally posted by daagh on 23 Jun 2011, 02:37.
Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Dec 2018, 07:55, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
V
Re: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2011, 11:15
True & sorry.
A: absorbing, learning and remaining are // .
B. absorbing, learning and to remain are not //
Manager
Re: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2011, 09:42
Now it make sense why A is the right one. D definitely is fragment, but i could not have done much without the complete question.

I was still debating between B and A though.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 10:12
I also believe the same. B looks correct. Someone plz explain the choice A.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 10:28
pkmme wrote:
I also believe the same. B looks correct. Someone plz explain the choice A.

A looks okay:

One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is remaining empathetic to the needs of patients in the face of all the rigorous training

One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today
apart from:
absorbing <%#%#$>
Is:
remaining <%$%#$>

"Gerund-Gerund" looks parallel!!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Sep 2011, 11:14
Quote:

A. facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is remaining

B. facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is to remain

C. faced by engineering practitioners today apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, which remain

D. faced by Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, and they remain

E. facing Engineering practitioners today, is absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, and besides remaining

Answer: A
Perfectly parallel - 'facing ... remaining...'

Let me try to explain why it should be 'remaining' and not 'to remain'.
It is true that the portion 'apart............scientific thought' is extra information and we should be able to read the sentence without this part completely. And so it seems like there is no need for parallelism between this portion and the rest of the sentence (i.e. the main portion).

However, because the main portion talks about 'one of these problems' and the portion 'apart...........scientific thought' tells us exactly what are the other problems that are part of this set of problems, there is a need for parallelism ('remaining', 'absorbing' and 'learning'), simply because they all belong to the same pot of problems.

Hence, A and not B. Hope that helps!

Originally posted by gmatopoeia on 08 Sep 2011, 10:47.
Last edited by gmatopoeia on 08 Sep 2011, 11:14, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 07:34
Setting off in commas, is only to assert the importance of one over the other. It does not mean that you can ignore the inessential modifiers and be happy with the rest.

Take the following case:

The Brazilian football team, though considered the best in the world, was thoroughly mauled in the field by relatively obscure teams

Can we say that the said team being considered the best in the world has no relevance in the context? After all its ignominious defeat at the hands of relatively obscure teams is even more accentuated by its being considered the best in the world.

Take another case:

My family, apart from my wife and mother, consists of my two children.

This sentence may make a perfectly constructed grammatical sentence, without the parenthesis, but does it make complete sense without the inessential modifiers?

So, let us not just look at the bare structure. Let us also look at the totality of the context, which is what GMAT is trying to insist these days IMO.

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 21:30
daagh wrote:
Setting off in commas, is only to assert the importance of one over the other. It does not mean that you can ignore the inessential modifiers and be happy with the rest.

Take the following case:

The Brazilian football team, though considered the best in the world, was thoroughly mauled in the field by relatively obscure teams

Can we say that the said team being considered the best in the world has no relevance in the context? After all its ignominious defeat at the hands of relatively obscure teams is even more accentuated by its being considered the best in the world.

Take another case:

My family, apart from my wife and mother, consists of my two children.

This sentence may make a perfectly constructed grammatical sentence, without the parenthesis, but does it make complete sense without the inessential modifiers?

So, let us not just look at the bare structure. Let us also look at the totality of the context, which is what GMAT is trying to insist these days IMO.

Thanks, I understand your point and agree that setting off in comma doesn't mean that you can ignore that part. Like the second case you mentioned here does not make sense to me without inessential part. But now if change this sentence to this :
John, apart from Michael and Rose, is one of the members of students committee.
Doesn't it make perfect sense if I remove the part within the commas --> John is one of the members of student committee. Now whether I include this inessential part or not, it does not change the meaning of sentence.
So IMO, same holds good for the original question in the post. I don't think that mention of other problems faced changes the meaning/sense of the sentence. Therefore I had this question that why should we make it parallel to the part within the commas.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 23:43
Ok let's kill the modifier:

A: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today ..... is remaining empathetic to the needs ....

B: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today ..... is to remain empathetic to the needs ....

So, I chose B, what am I doing wrong? @daagh?
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2012, 01:23
Aki,
Essential or inessential, you are killing some part of the sentence That is the wrong IMO. Secondly opinions will differ from person to person. I will respect your view, if you think //ism is not essential here, even as I stick to my view. That way, may ask a basic question, why should we care about //ism at all, if you think, you can good meaning without It?
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2012, 02:21
daagh wrote:
Aki,
Essential or inessential, you are killing some part of the sentence That is the wrong IMO. Secondly opinions will differ from person to person. I will respect your view, if you think //ism is not essential here, even as I stick to my view. That way, may ask a basic question, why should we care about //ism at all, if you think, you can good meaning without It?

Yeah, I do understand what you are trying to get at.

I would NEVER say something as horrible as "kill the modifier" on the actual GMAT, I was just trying to save typing time :oops:

But, your question on "importance" of //ism has kinda left me dumbfounded.

Gun to my head, I'd say that since GMAT gives highest priority to meaning clarity over all else(my personal opinion, could be wrong) so I would chose B.

Again, I have no reasons to prove A is wrong since it has no errors, i just chose B because of meaning clarity.

Based on your statement, it seems you also don't find any grammatical issues with B? (That's what I was hoping you'd find :) )
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 02:25
daagh : Not able to understand the meaning behind 'One of the problems facing engg. ..'. How can problems be facing something.?
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 09:30
narendran1990
Hi
Problems facing engineers is is just another literary form of writing; It ultimately means that the problems engineers face.
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 08:00
The source of this topic is an RC question.

One of the greatest challenges facing medical students today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is that of remaining empathetic to the needs of patients in the face of all this rigorous training

You will see that the correct choicein the topic is the same as you find in the RC passage, except for the change of Medical students to Engineering practitioners. Is this passage bonafide or not? If one can accept the RC passage as good enough, then there will be no confusion about accepting A as the correct choice, since the original is using the phrase ‘is remaining’ rather than ‘ to remain”. Absorbing and learning along with ‘is remaining’ is more parallel than absorbing and learning along with ‘to learn’, IMO. All the other choices have other errors. So A.
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 16:27
Can anyone answer why "facing" is correct.....

I chose "faced by"
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 16:43
kumarclub wrote:
Can anyone answer why "facing" is correct.....

I chose "faced by"

Both C and D are inappropriate because "is" should be coming after "One of the greatest problems facing engineering practitioners today.... is _______ "

If you plug in C and D, sentence will be

C - "One of the greatest problems faced by today... which"

D - "One of the greatest problems faced by today...and besides remaining"
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 15:19
Why is Engineering capitalized? What kind of patients do engineers have? What is going on in this problem?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 19:38
if we don't consider other issue .... isn't "faced by " looks more correct than "facing" ....anyone please explain?
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 02:11
Top Contributor
JDF,
You are quite right. There are some unusual typos. As you say, the E need not have been capitalized and it should be 'clients' instead of patients.
S
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 05:45
jrk23 wrote:
if we don't consider other issue .... isn't "faced by " looks more correct than "facing" ....anyone please explain?

yes, you are correct!

but there are other problems with options

Option C: no verb present in the sentence
Option D: pronoun error "they".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today,   [#permalink] 07 May 2019, 05:45

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics