Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619478 [16]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 890 [2]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: Only computer scientists understand the architecture of personal compu [#permalink]
Quote:
Only computer scientists understand the architecture of personal computers, and only those who understand the architecture of personal computers appreciate the advances in technology made in the last decade. It follows that only those who appreciate these advances are computer scientists.

Which one of the following most accurately describes a flaw in the reasoning in the argument?

(A) The argument contains no stated or implied relationship between computer scientists and those who appreciate the advances in technology in the last decade.

(B) The argument ignores the fact that some computer scientists may not appreciate the advances in technology made in the last decade.

(C) The argument ignores the fact that computer scientists may appreciate other things besides the advances in technology made in the last decade.

(D) The premises of the argument are stated in such a way that they exclude the possibility of drawing any logical conclusion.

(E) The premises of the argument presuppose that everyone understands the architecture of personal computers.

argument
if cs => arch => appreciate tech
then appreciate tech = cs

ans (B) what if some cs !=not tech? then the arg falls
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [1]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Only computer scientists understand the architecture of personal compu [#permalink]
Kudos
Only computer scientists understand the architecture of personal computers, and only those who understand the architecture of personal computers appreciate the advances in technology made in the last decade. It follows that only those who appreciate these advances are computer scientists.

Meaning Derived -

(1) ONLY CS (computer scientists) -> understand -> architecture of (PC) personal computers
(2) ONLY Who understand the architecture of PC -> appreciate -> advances in technology [in the last decade]
(1) + (2) ONLY Who appreciate these advances are computer scientists.

We need to find the gap here.

From (2) -> ONLY Who understand the architecture of PC -> ONLY CS

Hence (2) can be re-written as
(2) ONLY CS -> appreciate -> advances in technology [in the last decade]

That is okay but do all CS appreciate the advances. No proof of that mentioned.

Hence when we go through the options, we find only one matching this idea, i.e., (B)

Hence, correct answer is (B), IMO

(B) The argument ignores the fact that some computer scientists may not appreciate the advances in technology made in the last decade.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos

Stimulus: computer scientists understand the architecture of personal computers and only those who understand the architecture of personal computers will appreciate it. So the only ones who appreciate the architecture are computer scientists.

IMO B it ignores the fact that computer scientist may not appreciate the new technology

Which one of the following most accurately describes a flaw in the reasoning in the argument?

(A) The argument contains no stated or implied relationship between computer scientists and those who appreciate the advances in technology in the last decade.

(C) The argument ignores the fact that computer scientists may appreciate other things besides the advances in technology made in the last decade.

(D) The premises of the argument are stated in such a way that they exclude the possibility of drawing any logical conclusion.

(E) The premises of the argument presuppose that everyone understands the architecture of personal computers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
fiftyoneverbal

Could you do a video on this sort of (false) reasoning logic? Maybe with some Venn circles? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Send PM
Gmat700Knight wrote:
fiftyoneverbal

Could you do a video on this sort of (false) reasoning logic? Maybe with some Venn circles? :)

This is a great idea - I'll definitely try to put something together.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Gmat700Knight wrote:
fiftyoneverbal

I've done a video tackling exactly this type of question here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXwhwU_yIFE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
Only computer scientists understand the architecture of personal compu [#permalink]
Please advise where I'm going wrong.

"Only" is defined as "exclusively" or "solely"
"Only" does not mean "all"

Therefore, (B) does not affect the reasoning in the argument because exclusively--but not necessarily all--computer scientists understand the architecture. This appears to be a poorly written question.

Originally posted by draftpunk on 21 Aug 2020, 19:43.
Last edited by draftpunk on 22 Aug 2020, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Only computer scientists understand the architecture of personal compu [#permalink]
Kudos