GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2013, 20:39
8
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:32) correct 58% (02:42) wrong based on 571 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source LSAT: Dec, 2009

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remain today. Apart from the rare cases where the seal authenticated a document of special importance, most seals had served their purpose when the document was opened. Lead was not expensive, but it was not free: most lead seals would have been recast once they had served their purpose. Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Most of the lead seals produced during the early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that were then opened during that period.

(B) Most of the lead seals produced during that early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that have since been destroyed.

(C) The amount of lead available for seals in the early Byzantine Empire was much greater than the amount of lead that remains in the seals today.

(D) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were at most 40,000 documents of enough importance to prevent the removing and recycling of the seal.

(E) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were fewer than 40,000 seals affixed to documents at any given time.




Could someone please explain why is wrong?

_________________

Kudos if the post helped! :)

The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night. -H.W. Longfellow

Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2013, 00:46
Answer D is incorrect because it does not really support the conclusion that "Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals. " We can understand the argument in the following way:
number of remaining (reused) seals = X
The seals that were not recycled were probably destroyed together with documents and there is no correlation between their number and the number of the remaining seals. We don't know how many times a seal could be recast but probably many. Thus the total number of sealed documents of no special importance = X times Y
Y - how many times a seal was reused
Answer tells us that 40000 seals could not be recycled. The number of seals that could not be recycled has no influence on the number of the recycled/ remaining ones and thus answer D is irrelevant.
_________________

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2013, 08:28
KasiaEconomistGMAT wrote:
Answer D is incorrect because it does not really support the conclusion that "Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals. " We can understand the argument in the following way:
number of remaining (reused) seals = X
The seals that were not recycled were probably destroyed together with documents and there is no correlation between their number and the number of the remaining seals. We don't know how many times a seal could be recast but probably many. Thus the total number of sealed documents of no special importance = X times Y
Y - how many times a seal was reused
Answer tells us that 40000 seals could not be recycled. The number of seals that could not be recycled has no influence on the number of the recycled/ remaining ones and thus answer D is irrelevant.


Thanks! I had read option D as just "documents" instead of "documents of enough importance"
_________________

Kudos if the post helped! :)

The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night. -H.W. Longfellow

Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 03:39
notrandom wrote:
KasiaEconomistGMAT wrote:
Answer D is incorrect because it does not really support the conclusion that "Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals. " We can understand the argument in the following way:
number of remaining (reused) seals = X
The seals that were not recycled were probably destroyed together with documents and there is no correlation between their number and the number of the remaining seals. We don't know how many times a seal could be recast but probably many. Thus the total number of sealed documents of no special importance = X times Y
Y - how many times a seal was reused
Answer tells us that 40000 seals could not be recycled. The number of seals that could not be recycled has no influence on the number of the recycled/ remaining ones and thus answer D is irrelevant.


Thanks! I had read option D as just "documents" instead of "documents of enough importance"


Glad I could help. Keep up the good work!
_________________

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1744
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2014, 14:20
notrandom wrote:
Source LSAT: Dec, 2009

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remain today. Apart from the rare cases where the seal authenticated a document of special importance, most seals had served their purpose when the document was opened. Lead was not expensive, but it was not free: most lead seals would have been recast once they had served their purpose. Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Most of the lead seals produced during the early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that were then opened during that period.

(B) Most of the lead seals produced during that early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that have since been destroyed.

(C) The amount of lead available for seals in the early Byzantine Empire was much greater than the amount of lead that remains in the seals today.

(D) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were at most 40,000 documents of enough importance to prevent the removing and recycling of the seal.

(E) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were fewer than 40,000 seals affixed to documents at any given time.




Could someone please explain why is wrong?


How is A correct here? I didn't quite get it . Would someone kindly elaborate?

Cheers!
J
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 529
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 05:53
2
1
jlgdr wrote:
notrandom wrote:
Source LSAT: Dec, 2009

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remain today. Apart from the rare cases where the seal authenticated a document of special importance, most seals had served their purpose when the document was opened. Lead was not expensive, but it was not free: most lead seals would have been recast once they had served their purpose. Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Most of the lead seals produced during the early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that were then opened during that period.

(B) Most of the lead seals produced during that early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that have since been destroyed.

(C) The amount of lead available for seals in the early Byzantine Empire was much greater than the amount of lead that remains in the seals today.

(D) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were at most 40,000 documents of enough importance to prevent the removing and recycling of the seal.

(E) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were fewer than 40,000 seals affixed to documents at any given time.




Could someone please explain why is wrong?


How is A correct here? I didn't quite get it . Would someone kindly elaborate?

Cheers!
J



Hey Jlgdr,
Let me first break down the argument.
The argument states that "the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals."
The assumption here is that these lead seals were used on documents that ended up being opened and as a consequence recycled. In other words "most of the lead seals produced were opened during that period" and as a consequence recycled.

Option A says this and supports the argument.

Let's play devil's advocate here to ascertain the validity of option A.
If it were found that No, Most of the lead seals produced during the early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that were NOT opened during that period. I.e. they remained sealed forever. Then the assumption that 'these lead seals were recycled' will be broken - therefore breaking the conclusion!

By doing this negation we realise that this option is quite relevant.

Hope that clarified things :)
Peo - Verbal Trainer, CrackVerbal
_________________

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 21:37
can someone pls elaborate and help me understand the argument

Regards,
MSJ
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1744
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2014, 09:21
1
msj1234567 wrote:
can someone pls elaborate and help me understand the argument

Regards,
MSJ


Dude CrackVerbal GMAT just did so one post above. Please read carefully and specifically explain what is it that you don't understand so that other experts can provide help
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 21
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 05:58
can sum1 diff btw option a and b. actually i opted for option b. how is ans a.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 319
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 14:50
Very nice question with plenty of traps.

In the end, focusing on what is actually mentioned in the original statement has been the key to success. If we focus on seels beeing resused, we assume the original documents were opened during the byzantian timeperiod.
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 14:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.