GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 16:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the form

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the form  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 04:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:54) correct 37% (02:02) wrong based on 331 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the formation of the Rocky Mountains in a series of pulses during a mountain-building process known as the Laramide orogeny also resulted in the creation of the volcanic system known as the Coast Range Arc.

A. Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the formation of the Rocky Mountains in a series of pulses during a mountain-building process known as the Laramide orogeny also resulted

B. Caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses, the Laramide orogeny, which is the process through which the Rocky Mountains were formed over 70 million years ago, also resulted

C. The Laramide orogeny, a mountain-building process of the Rocky Mountains, caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses over 70 million years ago, also resulted

D. Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements causing the formation in a series of pulses of the Rocky Mountains during a mountain-building process known as the Laramide orogeny, also resulting

E. The Rocky Mountains, formed over 70 million years ago during the mountain-building period process known as the Laramide orogeny, caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses, resulted

The subject of the original sentence, the tectonic movements, is modified by the following relative clause:
that caused the formation of the Rocky Mountains in a series of pulses during a mountain-building period process known as the Laramide orogeny
After verifying there are no mistakes in this relative clause, we may ignore it. The rest of the sentence is still correct:
... the tectonic movements ... also resulted in the creation of the volcanic system known as the Coast Range Arc.

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
Manager
Manager
Re: Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the form  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 05:49
A for me.

BCE each changes the meaning.

D: the -ing form does not sound very well.

reto wrote:
Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the formation of the Rocky Mountains in a series of pulses during a mountain-building process known as the Laramide orogeny also resulted in the creation of the volcanic system known as the Coast Range Arc.

A. Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the formation of the Rocky Mountains in a series of pulses during a mountain-building process known as the Laramide orogeny also resulted

B. Caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses, the Laramide orogeny, which is the process through which the Rocky Mountains were formed over 70 million years ago, also resulted

C. The Laramide orogeny, a mountain-building process of the Rocky Mountains, caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses over 70 million years ago, also resulted

D. Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements causing the formation in a series of pulses of the Rocky Mountains during a mountain-building process known as the Laramide orogeny, also resulting

E. The Rocky Mountains, formed over 70 million years ago during the mountain-building period process known as the Laramide orogeny, caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses, resulted

The subject of the original sentence, the tectonic movements, is modified by the following relative clause:
that caused the formation of the Rocky Mountains in a series of pulses during a mountain-building period process known as the Laramide orogeny
After verifying there are no mistakes in this relative clause, we may ignore it. The rest of the sentence is still correct:
... the tectonic movements ... also resulted in the creation of the volcanic system known as the Coast Range Arc.

Re: Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the form  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 05:50
I cross off BCD and leave AE
the reason that I cross E off is we don't know what "caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses" modifies either The Rocky Mountains or Laramide orogeny.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 06:53
I think the meaning approach is very useful to answer this question. there is no clear grammatical error to eliminate options. please experts help me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 07:00

A. Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the formation of the Rocky Mountains in a series of pulses during a mountain-building process known as the Laramide orogeny also resulted >> perfect

B. Caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses, the Laramide orogeny, which is the process through which the Rocky Mountains were formed over 70 million years ago, also resulted >> Not the subject, second red part (IMO) is awkward, and makes passive

C. The Laramide orogeny, a mountain-building process of the Rocky Mountains, caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses over 70 million years ago, also resulted >>Not the subject

D. Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements causing the formation in a series of pulses of the Rocky Mountains during a mountain-building process known as the Laramide orogeny, also resulting >> Run-on sentence, no verb
E. The Rocky Mountains, formed over 70 million years ago during the mountain-building period process known as the Laramide orogeny, caused by tectonic movements in a series of pulses, resulted >> Not the subject
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 01:19
A is the right answer. B, C, and E all change the meaning of the sentence. D is awkwardly phrased, ‘causing the formation seems odd’.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the form   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2019, 01:19

Over 70 million years ago, the tectonic movements that caused the form

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics