Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 11:20 It is currently 15 May 2024, 11:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65297 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65297 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: Inequalities trick [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Yes, this is a neat little way to work with inequalities where factors are multiplied or divided. And, it has a solid reasoning behind it which I will just explain.

If (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0, we can draw the points a, b, c and d on the number line.
e.g. Given (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)(x-4) < 0, draw the points -2, 1, 7 and 4 on the number line as shown.

Attachment:
doc.jpg

This divides the number line into 5 regions. Values of x in right most region will always give you positive value of the expression. The reason for this is that if x > 7, all factors above will be positive.

When you jump to the next region between x = 4 and x = 7, value of x here give you negative value for the entire expression because now, (x - 7) will be negative since x < 7 in this region. All other factors are still positive.

When you jump to the next region on the left between x = 1 and x = 4, expression will be positive again because now two factors (x - 7) and (x - 4) are negative, but negative x negative is positive... and so on till you reach the leftmost section.

Since we are looking for values of x where the expression is < 0, here the solution will be -2 < x < 1 or 4< x < 7

It should be obvious that it will also work in cases where factors are divided.
e.g. (x - a)(x - b)/(x - c)(x - d) < 0
(x + 2)(x - 1)/(x -4)(x - 7) < 0 will have exactly the same solution as above.

Note: If, rather than < or > sign, you have <= or >=, in division, the solution will differ slightly. I will leave it for you to figure out why and how. Feel free to get back to me if you want to confirm your conclusion.

can we do modulus questions with the help of this method?

Also please suggest when we decide to take the + ve curve values or -ve values.
Tutor
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GmatDestroyer2013 wrote:
Yes, this is a neat little way to work with inequalities where factors are multiplied or divided. And, it has a solid reasoning behind it which I will just explain.

If (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0, we can draw the points a, b, c and d on the number line.
e.g. Given (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)(x-4) < 0, draw the points -2, 1, 7 and 4 on the number line as shown.

Attachment:
doc.jpg

This divides the number line into 5 regions. Values of x in right most region will always give you positive value of the expression. The reason for this is that if x > 7, all factors above will be positive.

When you jump to the next region between x = 4 and x = 7, value of x here give you negative value for the entire expression because now, (x - 7) will be negative since x < 7 in this region. All other factors are still positive.

When you jump to the next region on the left between x = 1 and x = 4, expression will be positive again because now two factors (x - 7) and (x - 4) are negative, but negative x negative is positive... and so on till you reach the leftmost section.

Since we are looking for values of x where the expression is < 0, here the solution will be -2 < x < 1 or 4< x < 7

Note: If, rather than < or > sign, you have <= or >=, in division, the solution will differ slightly. I will leave it for you to figure out why and how. Feel free to get back to me if you want to confirm your conclusion.

can we do modulus questions with the help of this method?

Also please suggest when we decide to take the + ve curve values or -ve values.

This method is only for inequalities with factors such that they are of the form (x-a). You should check out the links of the 3 posts I have given in my post above. They discuss the theory in detail and tell you why the regions are positive or negative. Also, they tell you how to handle complications such as factors of the form (a - x) or (ax + b) etc. When you have all factors of the form (x-a) (or when you convert them to this form), the rightmost region is always positive.

To solve absolute value questions you have a few different methods that you can use.
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/06 ... -the-gmat/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... edore-did/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... h-to-mods/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... s-part-ii/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

Attachment:
doc.jpg

Hi Karishma

Thanks for your valuable tips.
Can you explain the logic when the expression has a denominator or when factors are divided. I did read the solution given below, but can you please explain the logic?
Or if you can share a link in which you have explained expressions with denominators, I would be grateful
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65297 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
alphonsa wrote:

Hi Karishma

Thanks for your valuable tips.
Can you explain the logic when the expression has a denominator or when factors are divided. I did read the solution given below, but can you please explain the logic?
Or if you can share a link in which you have explained expressions with denominators, I would be grateful

Here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/07 ... s-part-ii/
Last question here handles factors in the denominator.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I learnt this trick while I was in school and yesterday while solving one question I recalled.
Its good if you guys use it 1-2 times to get used to it.

Suppose you have the inequality

f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0

Just arrange them in order as shown in the picture and draw curve starting from + from right.

now if f(x) < 0 consider curve having "-" inside and if f(x) > 0 consider curve having "+" and combined solution will be the final solution. I m sure I have recalled it fully but if you guys find any issue on that do let me know, this is very helpful.

Don't forget to arrange then in ascending order from left to right. a<b<c<d

So for f(x) < 0 consider "-" curves and the ans is : (a < x < b) , (c < x < d)
and for f(x) > 0 consider "+" curves and the ans is : (x < a), (b < x < c) , (d < x)

If f(x) has three factors then the graph will have - + - +
If f(x) has four factors then the graph will have + - + - +

If you can not figure out how and why, just remember it.
Try to analyze that the function will have number of roots = number of factors and every time the graph will touch the x axis.

For the highest factor d if x>d then the whole f(x) > 0 and after every interval of the roots the signs will change alternatively.

Hi
Could you please explain this question to me with this logic?

The explanation at (range-for-variable-x-in-a-given-inequality-109468.html ) starts with - + - + logic instead of + - + - as advised above....
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
mayankpant wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I learnt this trick while I was in school and yesterday while solving one question I recalled.
Its good if you guys use it 1-2 times to get used to it.

Suppose you have the inequality

f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0

Just arrange them in order as shown in the picture and draw curve starting from + from right.

now if f(x) < 0 consider curve having "-" inside and if f(x) > 0 consider curve having "+" and combined solution will be the final solution. I m sure I have recalled it fully but if you guys find any issue on that do let me know, this is very helpful.

Don't forget to arrange then in ascending order from left to right. a<b<c<d

So for f(x) < 0 consider "-" curves and the ans is : (a < x < b) , (c < x < d)
and for f(x) > 0 consider "+" curves and the ans is : (x < a), (b < x < c) , (d < x)

If f(x) has three factors then the graph will have - + - +
If f(x) has four factors then the graph will have + - + - +

If you can not figure out how and why, just remember it.
Try to analyze that the function will have number of roots = number of factors and every time the graph will touch the x axis.

For the highest factor d if x>d then the whole f(x) > 0 and after every interval of the roots the signs will change alternatively.

Hi
Could you please explain this question to me with this logic?

The explanation at (range-for-variable-x-in-a-given-inequality-109468.html ) starts with - + - + logic instead of + - + - as advised above....

There are two methods to go about it. Either decide whether the rightmost region is positive or negative depending on your factors or ALWAYS take rightmost region to be positive and adjust your factors accordingly i.e. bring all factors to the form (x-a). The second method is discussed in detail in the links given here: inequalities-trick-91482-60.html#p1358533
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
mrinal2100 wrote:
if = sign is included with < then <= will be there in solution
like for (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)(x-4) <=0 the solution will be -2 <= x <= 1 or 4<= x <= 7

in case when factors are divided then the numerator will contain = sign

like for (x + 2)(x - 1)/(x -4)(x - 7) < =0
the solution will be -2 <= x <= 1 or 4< x < 7
we cant make 4<=x<=7 as it will make the solution infinite

correct me if i am wrong

Can you please explain how the solution will be infinite ? when we take = into consideration.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
vpranavanshu91 wrote:
mrinal2100 wrote:
if = sign is included with < then <= will be there in solution
like for (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)(x-4) <=0 the solution will be -2 <= x <= 1 or 4<= x <= 7

in case when factors are divided then the numerator will contain = sign

like for (x + 2)(x - 1)/(x -4)(x - 7) < =0
the solution will be -2 <= x <= 1 or 4< x < 7
we cant make 4<=x<=7 as it will make the solution infinite

correct me if i am wrong

Can you please explain how the solution will be infinite ? when we take = into consideration.

Given inequality:

\(\frac{(x + 2)(x - 1)}{(x -4)(x - 7)} <= 0\)

What happens if we put x = 4? We get
\(\frac{(x + 2)(x - 1)}{(4 -4)(x - 7)} <= 0\)
\(\frac{(x + 2)(x - 1)}{0} <= 0\)

Division by 0 is not defined. So x cannot be 4 and neither can it be 7.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 524 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma - Could you please help me find solution for this equation using the graph method?

\(|x^2 - 4| > 3x\). I know Bunuel and others have replied with different solutions but could you show me how this can be solved using graphs?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Blackbox wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma - Could you please help me find solution for this equation using the graph method?

\(|x^2 - 4| > 3x\). I know Bunuel and others have replied with different solutions but could you show me how this can be solved using graphs?

Draw the diagram. x^2 is a quadratic with minimum at (0, 0). To get x^2 - 4, move the curve down 4 units on the y axis. Take the mod by flipping whatever is below x axis to its reflection above x axis.
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 15.92 KiB | Viewed 9683 times ]

Before the first intersection of the line 3x with the hump of |x^2 - 4|, |x^2 - 4| is greater.
After this intersection, the line 3x is greater. Note that 3x will intersect the curve again and after that, |x^2 - 4| will again be greater than 3x. So all we need to do is find the intersections.
To get first point of intersection:
-(x^2 - 4) = 3x
x^2 + 3x -4 = 0
x = 1, -4

To get second point of intersection:
x^2 - 4 = 3x
x^2 - 3x - 4 = 0
x = 4, -1

Ignore negative x values since our intersections are in first quadrant only.
Between x = 1 and x = 4, 3x is greater than |x^2 - 4|. But when x < 1 or x > 4, |x^2 - 4| > 3x.
Tutor
Send PM