Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Inequalities trick [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Jitu20 wrote:
krishp84 wrote:
WoW - This is a cool thread with so many thing on inequalities....I have compiled it together with some of my own ideas...It should help.

1) CORE CONCEPT
@gurpreetsingh -
Suppose you have the inequality

f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0

Arrange the NUMBERS in ascending order from left to right. a<b<c<d
Draw curve starting from + from right.

now if f(x) < 0 consider curve having "-" inside and if f(x) > 0 consider curve having "+" and combined solution will be the final solution. I m sure I have recalled it fully but if you guys find any issue on that do let me know, this is very helpful.

So for f(x) < 0 consider "-" curves and the ans is : (a < x < b) , (c < x < d)
and for f(x) > 0 consider "+" curves and the ans is : (x < a), (b < x < c) , (d < x)

If f(x) has three factors then the graph will have - + - +
If f(x) has four factors then the graph will have + - + - +

If you can not figure out how and why, just remember it.
Try to analyze that the function will have number of roots = number of factors and every time the graph will touch the x axis.

For the highest factor d if x>d then the whole f(x) > 0 and after every interval of the roots the signs will change alternatively.

Note: Make sure that the factors are of the form (ax - b), not (b - ax)...

example -
(x+2)(x-1)(7 - x)<0

Convert this to: (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)>0 (Multiply both sides by '-1')
Now solve in the usual way. Assign '+' to the rightmost region and then alternate with '-'
Since you are looking for positive value of the expression, every region where you put a '+' will be the region where the expression will be greater than 0.

2) Variation - ODD/EVEN POWER
@ulm/Karishma -
if we have even powers like (x-a)^2(x-b)
we don't need to change a sign when jump over "a".
This will be same as (x-b)

We can ignore squares BUT SHOULD consider ODD powers
example -
2.a
(x-a)^3(x-b)<0 is the same as (x-a)(x-b) <0
2.b
(x - a)(x - b)/(x - c)(x - d) < 0 ==> (x - a)(x - b)(x-c)^-1(x-d)^-1 <0
is the same as (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)(x - d) < 0

3) Variation <= in FRACTION
@mrinal2100 -
if = sign is included with < then <= will be there in solution
like for (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)(x-4) <=0 the solution will be -2 <= x <= 1 or 4<= x <= 7

BUT if it is a fraction the denominator in the solution will not have = SIGN

example -
3.a
(x + 2)(x - 1)/(x -4)(x - 7) < =0
the solution will be -2 <= x <= 1 or 4< x < 7
we cant make 4<=x<=7 as it will make the solution infinite

4) Variation - ROOTS
@Karishma -
As for roots, you have to keep in mind that given \(\sqrt{x}\), x cannot be negative.

\(\sqrt{x}\) < 10
implies 0 < \(\sqrt{x}\) < 10
Squaring, 0 < x < 100
Root questions are specific. You have to be careful. If you have a particular question in mind, send it.

Refer - https://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities ... ml#p959939
Some more useful tips for ROOTS....I am too lazy to consolidate

<5> THESIS -
@gmat1220 -
Once algebra teacher told me - signs alternate between the roots. I said whatever and now I know why :o Watching this article is a stroll down the memory lane.

I will save this future references....
Please add anything that you feel will help.

Anyone wants to add ABSOLUTE VALUES....That will be a value add to this post

Didn't understand 2 and 3 VeritasKarishma Bunuel could you please explain?

This video explains this point comprehensively. Please check: https://youtu.be/PWsUOe77__E

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 11 Apr 2021, 23:15.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 29 Nov 2023, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Inequalities trick [#permalink]
Quote:
These three posts explain these points comprehensively. Please check:

Hi KarishmaB - I've been going through this thread/your articles (all great resources/posts, so thank you!). One bit of confusion as I'm still wrapping my head around when Division of the roots doesn't change anything, as well as the situations where the inequality includes an "=" sign. When I read the 3rd post you link, I cannot tell what the inequalities are (all I see are "?" where the signs should be), and can't grasp this topic.

As well, I don't see much detail on why the division aspect has no impact on the values. Would you be able to elaborate just a little, or link another resource if easier?

Thanks so much, everything else makes perfect sense so far!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
CM12 wrote:
Quote:

Hi KarishmaB - I've been going through this thread/your articles (all great resources/posts, so thank you!). One bit of confusion as I'm still wrapping my head around when Division of the roots doesn't change anything, as well as the situations where the inequality includes an "=" sign. When I read the 3rd post you link, I cannot tell what the inequalities are (all I see are "?" where the signs should be), and can't grasp this topic.

As well, I don't see much detail on why the division aspect has no impact on the values. Would you be able to elaborate just a little, or link another resource if easier?

CM12

Hope you understand that the solution of say (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) < 0
is all about the sign of the factors (x-a), (x-b) and (x-c).

(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) < 0 only means that (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) must be negative. Which means that either exactly one of these factors or all three must be negative and our entire method is based on that one concept.

Now notice that if instead the factors are written as (x-a)(x-b) / (x-c) does it change anything regarding the sign of the expression based on the signs of the factors?

Consider two numbers a and b.
The sign of both ab and a/b will depend on the sign of a and sign on b.
If a and b are both positive, ab and a/b both are positive too.
If a is positive and b is negative, ab and a/b both are negative.
If a is negative and b is positive, ab and a/b both are negative.
If a and b are both negative, ab and a/b both are positive.

It doesn't matter whether a and b are multiplied or divided, the sign of ab and a/b will always be the same.

The only difference between ab and a/b is that in a/b, b cannot be 0 because division by 0 is not allowed.

So solution of \(ab \leq 0\) includes a = 0 or b = 0 (because the expression can be 0 too now)

but solution of \(\frac{a}{b} \leq 0\) includes only a = 0 (b cannot be 0)

So solution of (x-a)*(x-b) < 0 is the same as the solution of (x-a) / (x-b) < 0.

But solution of \((x-a)*(x-b) \leq 0\) includes x = a, x = b but solution of \(\frac{(x-a)}{(x-b)} \leq 0\) includes only x = a.

This is the concept in brief.

I have discussed it in more detail in my inequalities and absolute values module here:
https://anglesandarguments.com/study-module
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Inequalities trick [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
CM12 wrote:
Quote:

CM12

Hope you understand that the solution of say (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) < 0
is all about the sign of the factors (x-a), (x-b) and (x-c).

(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) < 0 only means that (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) must be negative. Which means that either exactly one of these factors or all three must be negative and our entire method is based on that one concept.

Now notice that if instead the factors are written as (x-a)(x-b) / (x-c) does it change anything regarding the sign of the expression based on the signs of the factors?

Consider two numbers a and b.
The sign of both ab and a/b will depend on the sign of a and sign on b.
If a and b are both positive, ab and a/b both are positive too.
If a is positive and b is negative, ab and a/b both are negative.
If a is negative and b is positive, ab and a/b both are negative.
If a and b are both negative, ab and a/b both are positive.

It doesn't matter whether a and b are multiplied or divided, the sign of ab and a/b will always be the same.

The only difference between ab and a/b is that in a/b, b cannot be 0 because division by 0 is not allowed.

So solution of \(ab \leq 0\) includes a = 0 or b = 0 (because the expression can be 0 too now)

but solution of \(\frac{a}{b} \leq 0\) includes only a = 0 (b cannot be 0)

So solution of (x-a)*(x-b) < 0 is the same as the solution of (x-a) / (x-b) < 0.

But solution of \((x-a)*(x-b) \leq 0\) includes x = a, x = b but solution of \(\frac{(x-a)}{(x-b)} \leq 0\) includes only x = a.

This is the concept in brief.

I have discussed it in more detail in my inequalities and absolute values module here:
https://anglesandarguments.com/study-module

That helps a lot and makes sense, thank you again. I was definitely over thinking the division aspect.

Edit:
Hi KarishmaB - I'm just reviewing your posts in https://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-and-roots-118619.html#p959939. Based on this and in regard to the 4th lesson covered early in this thread around roots & inequalities, how come \(\sqrt{x} < 10\) results in 0 < x < 100 when squared? Mainly, why must x be greater than 0, and not > or = 0?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92904 posts