Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V41
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
To be fair, I did think about it the past 2 months, and I thought I knew what I was going to write but I told my friend about it yesterday and she said that doesn't sound like something a B-school would be interested in reading about and now I am in a soup. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
MV23 wrote:
To be fair, I did think about it the past 2 months, and I thought I knew what I was going to write but I told my friend about it yesterday and she said that doesn't sound like something a B-school would be interested in reading about and now I am in a soup. :)

No offense to your friend... but that shouldn't matter. It should be about you and what matters most to you, not what matters most to my friend and his/her thoughts on what a B-school would be interested in reading about.

Want to hear a crazy story...? A friend was admitted to Stanford. In their what matters most essay, they wrote about electricity and it's impact on civilization. So..... my advice would be to write about just that.... what matters most to you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
munkee2018 wrote:
Me too, guys! I also want in on the brainstorm party :lol: So far I just have the essay questions written down LOLOL. OK, but seriously, I have such a difficult time with "What matters most." Does that mean it should be limited to 1 thing? Because a great number of things matter to me. Can it be like, what matters most to me are (1) x, (2) y, (3) z

Has anyone tried the multi-answer approach? Is it a no-no? Stanford seems like a place that accepts breaking conventions and bold decisions so maybe it's ok?

Hello munkee, please allow me to share my two cents. The question is "What matters most to you, and why?" Please take note of the word "most." You may have many important things but try to decide on one most important thing. Given your situation, a way to look at them is that you are one level deep. Think about what all of these things together will help you achieve. For example, if I like ice cream and pizza but I have to choose one, if I can I will take the difficult decision and go with one. If I think both are important, I will go one level higher and talk about why I don't like to be hungry and make these two things equally important to me. In this case, I am giving importance to hunger.
This is a deep introspection essay mate. So, think about what you want the most. Make them feel it.

btw, each applicant is different and you don't need to follow my suggestions. Follow your heart, that's what Stanford is looking for. Your uniqueness is what adds diversity to the class but don't overthink.

Originally posted by Amateur on 15 Sep 2015, 18:25.
Last edited by Amateur on 16 Sep 2015, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
MV23 wrote:

I'm also just an applicant so what do I know but think about this:

Stanford (and other schools) have continuously stated that there is NO answer that they WANT to hear. They want to hear and learn about you, not read what they expect / something generic. You should write about what YOU think is matters most to you and not what you think they want to hear you talk about.

Just a thought!

Submitted 2 days ago.

Cheers from Bhutan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Stanford Applicant! I just finished a new analysis of Stanford MBA acceptance rate. If you are interested in how GMAT and GPA impact your chances of getting in, check it out.

Good luck with applications!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Are there any expert suggestions available for the 'Describe yourself in 20 or fewer words' prompt?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
generalist wrote:
Are there any expert suggestions available for the 'Describe yourself in 20 or fewer words' prompt?

oh I just wish I had the audacity to put in "Winter is coming" as an answer to that question :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
MV23 wrote:
generalist wrote:

oh I just wish I had the audacity to put in "Winter is coming" as an answer to that question :)

"A Lannister always pays his debts" might be more appropriate. Or the Targaryen "Fire and Blood."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
generalist wrote:

Hmm, I mean that is literally only a question you can answer.

Or maybe your mom? They are not looking for the magic combination of words or phrases in that answer...

Originally posted by TheLostOne on 17 Sep 2015, 09:44.
Last edited by TheLostOne on 17 Sep 2015, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I've had successful clients write a list of adjectives, and I've had other successful clients that write their response in short-sentence form. So either way is definitely fine.

And as a fellow big-time GoT fan myself (as in, I took a trip to Northern Ireland in June to visit shooting locations--MEGA-NERD ALERT!!!), I honestly think they would appreciate knowing what pop-culture things you're into. So maybe "Passionate Game of Thrones fan" as part of your list of descriptive words/phrases? Remember, letting your personality come through is key for Stanford. They want to know what sort of things you'll be bonding/talking with your classmates over outside of class.

Best of luck to everyone!

MV23 wrote:
generalist wrote:

Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi all -

A lot of what I have to say has been echoed here, so I'll just highlight a few key thoughts. My past successful Stanford clients have picked ONE thing ("matters MOST" implies one) and have been heart-on-their-sleeve honest about it. This essay requires A LOT of introspection and soul-searching, and Stanford will see right through it if you write something just because you think it's what they want to hear. (On that note, for the love of Pete, DO NOT listen to your friends' advice on this sort of thing! Go with your gut instinct and be real.) If you whip something together at the last minute that is not well thought out, you are doing yourself a disservice and might be better off waiting until Round 2 just so you can give this essay the effort it deserves.

How you'll know you picked the right thing is that you'll have plenty of "examples" in the form of stories/anecdotes to back up why X really is the most important thing to you. You'll have proved it with your actions and decisions and what you've prioritized over the course of your entire life--or perhaps ever since a specific event/experience happened to you.

Best of luck!

MV23 wrote:
Well, since we are doing group therapy :P , I would like to add that I am in the same predilection. What matters to me the most? Should I talk about the principle that matters to me the most? Or what I want to do or did? What if two things matter to me the most and they aren't really independent of each other! Sigh!

munkee2018 wrote:
Me too, guys! I also want in on the brainstorm party :lol: So far I just have the essay questions written down LOLOL. OK, but seriously, I have such a difficult time with "What matters most." Does that mean it should be limited to 1 thing? Because a great number of things matter to me. Can it be like, what matters most to me are (1) x, (2) y, (3) z

Has anyone tried the multi-answer approach? Is it a no-no? Stanford seems like a place that accepts breaking conventions and bold decisions so maybe it's ok?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.83
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Ah, that makes me feel good. After I chose my topic and started to brainstorm, there were tons of old, forgotten stories that came back to memory, and I added them all to my essay. I even sort of had a realization--"Wow, this topic REALLY is important to me"--more important than I realized before writing the essay.

Odds are I'll still get dinged but at least I'm proud of my essay.

SBCErikaOlson wrote:

How you'll know you picked the right thing is that you'll have plenty of "examples" in the form of stories/anecdotes to back up why X really is the most important thing to you. You'll have proved it with your actions and decisions and what you've prioritized over the course of your entire life--or perhaps ever since a specific event/experience happened to you.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
I've had successful clients write a list of adjectives, and I've had other successful clients that write their response in short-sentence form. So either way is definitely fine.

And as a fellow big-time GoT fan myself (as in, I took a trip to Northern Ireland in June to visit shooting locations--MEGA-NERD ALERT!!!), I honestly think they would appreciate knowing what pop-culture things you're into. So maybe "Passionate Game of Thrones fan" as part of your list of descriptive words/phrases? Remember, letting your personality come through is key for Stanford. They want to know what sort of things you'll be bonding/talking with your classmates over outside of class.

Best of luck to everyone!

MV23 wrote:
generalist wrote:

Thanks a lot :) That was helpful!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
Send PM
Any thoughts on the 750/400 split between Essays A and B?? I'm trying to finalize my drafts and find that my split is more like 550/600. Would that be a problem??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I am exceeding the word count by 7%, should I worry?

On the other hand, I am having a lot of trouble with the describe yourself in 20 words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
Send PM
Bombardeiro wrote:
I am exceeding the word count by 7%, should I worry?

On the other hand, I am having a lot of trouble with the describe yourself in 20 words.

I would think sticking to the 1150 limit is mandatory. They seem quite definite about that.

What I find most challenging is the character limits in the professional experience column! Every alphabet counts :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Butterflies wrote:
Any thoughts on the 750/400 split between Essays A and B?? I'm trying to finalize my drafts and find that my split is more like 550/600. Would that be a problem??

IMO, GSB wants to know more about you. If you feel you achieved that part, then disregard my statement. You are in accordance to their guidelines. One last comment, show them what you want to tell... not what they want to hear... Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  43   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts