GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 03:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Re: Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 11:28
Butterflies wrote:
Any thoughts on the 750/400 split between Essays A and B?? I'm trying to finalize my drafts and find that my split is more like 550/600. Would that be a problem??

Length
Your answers for both essay questions combined may not exceed 1,150 words (1,200 words if you are applying to both the MBA and MSx programs). Each of you has your own story to tell, so please allocate these words between the essays in the way that is most effective for you. Below is a suggested word count, based on what we typically see.

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/m ... als/essays

In my opinion, try limiting your essay to the count. However, if you cannot make it and feel that your essays are very strong and each line is supporting your end message, don't stress out. Take note of GSB's use of "may" instead of strong words such as "can". I still think you can cut words. Good luck.
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 14:12
That would absolutely not be a problem. I've definitely had clients split the essays out in similar ways to yours in the past. If they reeeeeaaaalllly wanted #1 to be 750 and #2 to be 400, they would've made those hard limits. Best of luck!

Butterflies wrote:
Any thoughts on the 750/400 split between Essays A and B?? I'm trying to finalize my drafts and find that my split is more like 550/600. Would that be a problem??

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 14:16
Most of my clients are within 5% of the total limit. So yes, going over is fine, but I'd try to keep it to less than 5% if you can... definitely not more than a total of 10% over. They're most likely only going to eyeball the length, not run a word-counting program on it. :)

Here's a post I wrote about how to cut essays down even further that you might find helpful:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2015/08/31 ... ba-essays/

Best of luck!

Bombardeiro wrote:
I am exceeding the word count by 7%, should I worry?

On the other hand, I am having a lot of trouble with the describe yourself in 20 words.

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 19:53
I switched a couple of teams with the same employer I have been for past three years. Anyone knows how if I need to add separate jobs in the application data form under employer for each of the teams although all of them was under the same group?

Thanks in advance!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 23:54
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
That would absolutely not be a problem. I've definitely had clients split the essays out in similar ways to yours in the past. If they reeeeeaaaalllly wanted #1 to be 750 and #2 to be 400, they would've made those hard limits. Best of luck!

Thanks Erika, that is really helpful and reassuring.

I have two other quick questions - is it ok to use exclamation marks in essays or are they a no-no? How about don't and can't??

Any thoughts would be really helpful!
Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 05:57
Sure thing. Here are my thoughts:

1) Re: exclamation points, I would say to ask yourself whether you REALLY need to use one to emphasize the point you're making. If so, I would limit yourself to ONE (and only one) exclamation point per essay, or else it's going to be overdoing it and could come off as a little immature.

2) I think it's totally fine to use almost all contractions (I'm, I'll, can't, don't, etc), if that's how you'd normally speak. Your essays should sound like your speaking voice, within reason and without being TOO informal. Plus contractions help save on word count.

Good luck!

Butterflies wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Thanks Erika, that is really helpful and reassuring.

I have two other quick questions - is it ok to use exclamation marks in essays or are they a no-no? How about don't and can't??

Any thoughts would be really helpful!

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 06:10
Assuming those were different roles when you switched teams within the same employer, then yes, you should separate each one out in the application form. You would keep the overall employer company name the same each time, but then switch the Position Title for each entry. That way you can add in detail for Responsibilities/Challenge/Sig Accomplishment for each role and let them know more about you than they otherwise would've if you didn't separate out each role. Also, for the "Reason for Leaving" for each position up until your current one (for that current position you should just leave "Reason for Leaving" blank), you can say why you made the switch--perhaps it was a promotion, you were asked to move to a new team, you sought out new skills in a different team, etc.

Good luck!

hustler222 wrote:
I switched a couple of teams with the same employer I have been for past three years. Anyone knows how if I need to add separate jobs in the application data form under employer for each of the teams although all of them was under the same group?

Thanks in advance!

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 13:45
On the professional experience portion of the application, if you have more than one position/title at a company, should they be entered in reverse chronological order like they would be listed on a resume? Or the other way around?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 19:01
Watermelon wrote:
On the professional experience portion of the application, if you have more than one position/title at a company, should they be entered in reverse chronological order like they would be listed on a resume? Or the other way around?

I would recommend listing in reverse chronological order. Most application portals have automatically ordered positions based on the employment dates, or they at least allow you to manually order them once entered.

Unfortunately, it looks like you need to enter these reverse chronologically if you want them to appear that way.

Changing the order of mine as we speak.........
BSchool Thread Master
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 20:35
Submitted my application. The wait is going be long for this one!
BSchool Thread Master
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 20:40
I do want to give a shout out to Erika (@SBCErikaOlson) for taking time to answer our questions here, it made a difference, truly.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 03:27
Submitted my application. Fingers crossed!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 09:16
Aww, thanks! Even though I applied 15 years ago (WHAT!?! #OLD), I do still vividly remember how stressful the process was and am happy if I could make it even a little bit less so for any of you out there. Now you just have to promise to let me know how things end up.

GOOD LUCK!

- e

MV23 wrote:
I do want to give a shout out to Erika (@SBCErikaOlson) for taking time to answer our questions here, it made a difference, truly.

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 09:17
Yep, reverse chronological order is the way to go.

Watermelon wrote:

Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 10:49
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Watermelon wrote:

Also, as an FYI, I had issues with the order of my positions within the same company and trying to re-enter them. I was told by the Admissions Office that as long as your dates/periods correct, Stanford's reviewing system will automatically order the positions in reverse chronological order.

I'm not advising to put it in any order, but just thought it would be worth noting.
Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 13:00
That's great info to get directly from the AdCom -- thanks for sharing!

aeropower wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Watermelon wrote:

Also, as an FYI, I had issues with the order of my positions within the same company and trying to re-enter them. I was told by the Admissions Office that as long as your dates/periods correct, Stanford's reviewing system will automatically order the positions in reverse chronological order.

I'm not advising to put it in any order, but just thought it would be worth noting.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 13:52
Hey guys, do you think they will disregard my application if one of my recommenders does not post his letter on time?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 16:19
Just submitted - dodged a bullet because on my last review I noticed that I had uploaded my essays where the Resume goes.

May the force be with me and you guys, always.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 00:42
MV23 wrote:

I second that! Thanks Erika!

Submitted last night. Fingers crossed now! Good luck all!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.86
WE: Project Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 01:59
Submitted, hope i can get some positive news in Oct.
Re: Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2015, 01:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  43    Next  [ 853 posts ] 

Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: ydmuley, mvictor

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap