Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 05:46 It is currently 23 May 2024, 05:46
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3630 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.94
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
FYI I just spoke to the admissions office and the video essay is not due until 5PM CST tomorrow, the 13th.

Cheers to all my fellow procrastinators out there!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3630 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
nautikal wrote:
FYI I just spoke to the admissions office and the video essay is not due until 5PM CST tomorrow, the 13th.

Cheers to all my fellow procrastinators out there!

That is absolutely in line with their instructions that video essay is due 1 week after the admission deadline. Hopefully people will now have a post to refer back to.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Landing my internship — and future job — at Google

Jeff Hoffman is a second-year student interested in entrepreneurship and technology. He is passionate about the intersection of data science and application, focusing specifically on how data sets and insights can be leveraged to create, refine and market new products and services.

This past summer Jeff interned at Google and will return to the technology firm after graduation. He recently participated in a Career Management Center webinar about career opportunities and his experiences working with Kellogg’s career coaches. Watch the entire webinar, or continue reading to see what Jeff had to say about recruiting, his experience at Google and why he thinks Kellogg graduates are perfectly equipped to succeed in the technology industry.

On why an MBA
I thought an MBA was a great opportunity to build leadership traits as well as broaden my experiences with the types of people I’m able to work with. In my career prior to Kellogg, I had a lot of experience executing, but not a lot of experience leading and managing teams. I knew that pursuing an MBA would give me the leadership experience necessary to jump back into the working world and provide an impact right away.

On why Kellogg
I was very fortunate to work with graduates of a lot of different MBA programs, and I was really drawn to the leaders who came from Kellogg. The Kellogg MBAs were the most personable and best-connected leaders that I had worked with, and I hoped to develop a similar leadership style.

Kellogg was particularly interesting to me because I could refine my interest and knowledge of analytics, digital marketing, and tech strategy to develop an analytical mindset within the team-oriented structure of Kellogg’s curriculum and the analytics pathway.

Additionally, leading the Big Data + Analytics club has given me a great opportunity to interact more closely with important thought leaders in the industry like Florian Zettelmeyer and gain exposure to even more perspectives on analytical leadership and trends outside of the classroom.

The type of work I have focused on through my time at Kellogg set me up to secure my internship with Google and to be able to contribute from day one once I am back at the firm full time. I am looking forward to leveraging my analytical, team-oriented mindset while working alongside and leading other employees from sales, marketing and product-oriented teams.

On pursuing a job in the tech industry
Since starting at Kellogg, I’ve had access to any career I would have wanted. I knew I didn’t want to start my own company, but I was hoping to work in a data-driven, entrepreneurial setting. Not surprisingly, I was drawn to a career in the technology industry. It was great to see that all of the big tech firms — Apple, Amazon, Twitter, LinkedIn, Uber — come here to recruit for diverse positions.

Tech companies are more entrepreneurial and team-driven, and the Kellogg curriculum is really designed around that team environment and entrepreneurial thinking. We’re really set up to jump right into a tech company, and without a lot of training integrate ourselves right into the team and get right on to whatever project we’re working on.

On off-campus recruiting
I primarily focused on off-campus recruiting. I figured I would mostly be on my own, but was really happy to find the CMC was able to support me through this less defined path.

Conducting an off-campus job search can be a little more difficult because it is very self guided, but I’ve been very encouraged by the career search strategy the CMC helped me build, from figuring out companies I wanted to target, to Kellogg alumni to reach out to, to how to approach interviews, and keeping me honest and on track.

On the alumni network
I have been stunned by how great the alumni of Kellogg have been. I was doing mostly off-campus recruiting, so there was a lot of cold emailing (people). I probably reached out to 75 or 100 Kellogg alumni, and every single one of them has gotten back to me.

On interning at Google over the summer

I was fortunate enough to get an offer from Google, as well as a couple of startups here in Chicago. I thought for my summer it would be a great opportunity to learn what it’s like to work at Google and learn from the best.

I was in an analytical consulting role on the sales team that supports Procter & Gamble, Google’s largest client. I was responsible for mining for insights on how Procter & Gamble customers use mobile devices and helping the team consult with P&G about how to reach these types of customers. It was great. I was able to be an entrepreneurial leader working on an impactful project with exposure to P&G’s CEO and was able to have my hands on all kinds of fun Google data.

On getting a job offer
I had a great experience over the summer and was fortunate enough to receive an offer from Google as an Analytical Lead. Based on the feedback I received at the end of my internship and through the final offer conversion process, the leadership and teamwork skills and traits that I developed in my first year at Kellogg were integral to Google extending an offer. I have accepted the offer and am excited to get to work!

On data analytics courses
The analytics classes I’ve taken helped me at Google, and they’re going to help me in my future career, specifically in understanding analytical techniques, but also being able to ask that “So what” question. I think that’s really important to understand the “So what” of an insight you may find. That’s something Kellogg’s analytics curriculum really hammers home and can really mean the difference in any sort of data-driven business decision.

I don’t think I’d be in the position I am without the support of Kellogg and the things I’ve learned in my classes.

Watch the complete Career Opportunities webinar.

Filed under: Academics, Career, Student Life Tagged: alumni, analytics, big data, Career Management Center, data analytics, entrepreneurship, Google, internship, pathways, recruiting, technology
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Can somebody comment on the second question of the video essay?

what should we expect?

Thanks a lot!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
ubii88 wrote:

what should we expect?

Thanks a lot!!

Per the Kellogg Application instructions, the second questions will be, literally, “What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?”

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pro ... ocess.aspx
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ch88 wrote:
ubii88 wrote:

what should we expect?

Thanks a lot!!

Per the Kellogg Application instructions, the second questions will be, literally, “What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?”

Thanks!! I was wondering if they could change the question a bit, for example : Why you are a great fit for Kellogg? But I guess they will just ask the question you mentioned.

Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.14
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
ubii88 wrote:
ch88 wrote:
ubii88 wrote:

what should we expect?

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks!! I was wondering if they could change the question a bit, for example : Why you are a great fit for Kellogg? But I guess they will just ask the question you mentioned.

Thanks a lot!

At least for Round 1, "What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?” is literally what they asked (as they stated they would) for the second video essay question.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for sharing! I feel that 1 min is too little to answer this question, I have to speed it up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Done with my video essays. Such a relief.. phew!

I think I did not do well on the first one. It was a generic answer, was not able to bring a key take away suited to Kellogg's culture. Even faltered for 2 secs midway. I hope it does not result in a ding.

My question was: What is your best vacation and why?

The second one was the usual and went off fine.

All the best everyone. My advice - be spontaneous and calm, it will be done in no time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
Pillarsofcreation wrote:
I don't understand what you guys mean when you say that the second question asked was 'normal' or 'standard' or 'was what was expected'? Is there a list of such questions or do you mean these questions are the usual Why MBA, Why Kellogg, Short term, long term questions?

The poster above has answered your question very well. But just to add to what has already been mentioned, the 1st question will be from a list of 10 practice questions that you see on the video essay portal. For the second question, it will be the standard Why Kellogg, ST/LT goals, what do you hope to achieve at Kellogg and other possible variations of the same question.

This is the reason why the 2nd question is being called "standard" or "normal".

So, the other question will only come from the fixed list of 10 practice question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: CBS '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I faced an issue while completing my video essays. My first question was, "What was your aim in life when you were a child?". While I was answering the question, a message popped up midway asking me to refresh the browser (it said it would revert to where I started from). I did that and was back to the home screen. And, when I clicked on Question 1, a different prompt popped up this time - "What is a risk you took and what did you learn?" The platform went smoothly after that, but I'm not sure what the repercussions could be. :/
P.S.: I can't possibly have an internet connectivity issue. I completed the essays from office and have never seen an internet connectivity issue in the last 2.5 years I worked there. MBB can't get that wrong, for sure. ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61
Send PM
One question : Is there a list of 10 questions for everybody from which one gets the random question (apart from the standard why kellogg question)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just want to share my experience. I have done many practice questions, but ended up receiving a different one. My question was more and less like this: "Have you ever collected things, what it was and why?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know when does Kellogg starts sending interview invites for R2 non-US applicants. I read somewhere that they start reading the application only after the interview.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Non-US applicant here. Thailand. Received interview invite this morning and just scheduled my interview. I think the invite will come when they are able to match interviewer for you. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Send PM
woraphotk wrote:
Non-US applicant here. Thailand. Received interview invite this morning and just scheduled my interview. I think the invite will come when they are able to match interviewer for you. Good luck!

Congratulations! Best of luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
Schools: Darden '20
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Done with the video interviews....
First question was different from the practice question. It was something like "most interesting person you have met and why they are interesting?". I felt I did good on this.

Second question was the pathway and why Kellogg question. I did not do a great job here. Fumbled a lot and talked about why Kellog for only 10 seconds as I was running out of time.

I hope they do not give a lot of weight to these essays or my Kellogg dreams are over.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41  ...  58   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts