Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 03:18 It is currently 08 May 2024, 03:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Booth or Yale

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Boothx   Yalex   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73109 [0]
Given Kudos: 18936
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]
Top Contributor
chocodol wrote:
Hi all,

I need your help pulling the trigger here. I have pretty much made up my mind but cannot make the final call.

Post-MBA, I would like to get a few years working in the States as a consultant but want to settle in Asia in the long term.

Two thing I could not quite let go about Yale are 1. given its integration with the rest of Yale, the potential broader alumni basis to tap into 2. its brand on the main street (even in the business world the majority do not go to bschool and many have no idea of the ranking)

Would appreciate your takes on this!

Thanks a ton!

Congrats on the admits!!

Booth is a much stronger brand name and definitely has great consulting placements. The Univ of Chicago has also some prominent faculty members in the B-school and that could change your perspective completely about a subject.

I would suggest to speak to the Bschool alums of both the schools and try to get the feel of the school.

Hope this helps!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
Send PM
[#permalink]
The Yale University alumni network is probably the most integrated network there is. That is, there's no meaningful distinction between an SOM alum vs a law school alum vs Yale College. If you go to Yale you're a Yalie. This is a lot different compared to schools like Harvard or Penn, where the network is much more siloed.

There are plenty of reasons to choose booth over Som, but the overall university alumni network and consulting placements aren't among them.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
FWIW - multiple folks at McKinsey who I have talked to said that SOM placed very well last year across the firm (on par with HSW). This may not necessarily continue going forward, but just a data point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
Send PM
fourierloko wrote:
FWIW - multiple folks at McKinsey who I have talked to said that SOM placed very well last year across the firm (on par with HSW). This may not necessarily continue going forward, but just a data point.

While McKinsey numbers increased, most of the increase in MBB hiring came from Bain and bcg. They basically doubled the number of SOM students for class of 2017 vs class of 2016.

bb I hope you take notice!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you want to work in Asia in the long run, I think Yale has a better international recognition, brand name.
If you plan to stay in the US, Booth is a great choice.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 4
Send PM
Booth or Yale? [#permalink]
YSOM did very well with McK this year, 25+ for McK internships alone. Given that there are only around students 150 recruiting for consulting, that's not bad. If full-time recruiting takes twice as many students (this is historically the case) then that could mean a third of the consulting class goes to McK alone.

However, the key stat is that there were over 100 McKinsey OCR interview slots in a consulting cohort of 150 (note that intl students may go off-campus). Once you're through to interviews, its more about you and your prep than the school.

Further, I am an intl student and I secured two intl internships by emailing the CEO of my target firms directly (both firms have 50k+ employees but do not take on MBA interns), using the company's email-naming conventions I found online. They both replied and invited me to successful meetings. I am not sure that this would have been possible without the Yale brand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
larryofiah wrote:
YSOM did very well with McK this year, 25+ for McK internships alone. Given that there are only around students 150 recruiting for consulting, that's not bad. If full-time recruiting takes twice as many students (this is historically the case) then that could mean a third of the consulting class goes to McK alone.

However, the key stat is that there were over 100 McKinsey OCR interview slots in a consulting cohort of 150 (note that intl students may go off-campus). Once you're through to interviews, its more about you and your prep than the school.

Further, I am an intl student and I secured two intl internships by emailing the CEO of my target firms directly (both firms have 50k+ employees but do not take on MBA interns), using the company's email-naming conventions I found online. They both replied and invited me to successful meetings. I am not sure that this would have been possible without the Yale brand.

Do you mind sharing more info ? Like how exactly you contacted them and how did it turn out ? Is it possible from all schools ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 4
Send PM
mbsingh wrote:
larryofiah wrote:

Do you mind sharing more info ? Like how exactly you contacted them and how did it turn out ? Is it possible from all schools ?

I've given all the info that I'm wiling to disclose above.

I imagine that it is possible from other schools. My conjecture is only that it may be easier for intl recruiting from world wide brands like H Y S MIT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
larryofiah wrote:
mbsingh wrote:
larryofiah wrote:

I've given all the info that I'm wiling to disclose above.

I imagine that it is possible from other schools. My conjecture is only that it may be easier for intl recruiting from world wide brands like H Y S MIT.

Cool thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
chocodol wrote:
Hi all,

I need your help pulling the trigger here. I have pretty much made up my mind but cannot make the final call.

Post-MBA, I would like to get a few years working in the States as a consultant but want to settle in Asia in the long term.

Two thing I could not quite let go about Yale are 1. given its integration with the rest of Yale, the potential broader alumni basis to tap into 2. its brand on the main street (even in the business world the majority do not go to bschool and many have no idea of the ranking)

Would appreciate your takes on this!

Thanks a ton!

Nice job! Jealous of your decision! Would you mind sharing your stats?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I would say Booth if your post MBA goal is consulting.

Also, i don't think you would have any difficulty with job placement in Asia from either school.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Booth is the call here, the quality of your school/rep has a greater impact on your immediate career opportunities and then after that it is largely up to you when you're making subsequent career moves. I would base your decision on that and with that in mind Booth is the call here although Yale is certainly on the rise
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts