It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth or Yale?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Booth or Yale

  • 67% [19]
  • 32% [9]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Dec 2014
Posts: 22

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 22:11
Hi all,

I need your help pulling the trigger here. I have pretty much made up my mind but cannot make the final call.

Post-MBA, I would like to get a few years working in the States as a consultant but want to settle in Asia in the long term.

Two thing I could not quite let go about Yale are 1. given its integration with the rest of Yale, the potential broader alumni basis to tap into 2. its brand on the main street (even in the business world the majority do not go to bschool and many have no idea of the ranking)

Would appreciate your takes on this!

Thanks a ton!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15572

Kudos [?]: 28477 [0], given: 5106

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 23:55
Yale has a good global name recognition - e.g. Your aunt and niece will be proud but the business side of things does not work out as well in terms of baschool alums, recruiting, and salaries.

I doubt however you will find too much support from the undergrad community of alums unless it is an isolated local such as Hong Kong or Rome where there may be 5-10 alums.

In the states, while you share the same school name, you actually have had different experiences and you're not the same alums. It is weird and a bit unusual to be contacted by a bschool alum or undergrad while you are in bschool. In part it's because by the time you need to tap into the undergrad network it has been 20 years for most of those people since they graduated. In my experience this undergrad network only works in remote places.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28477 [0], given: 5106

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 185

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 30

Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '17 (M)
GPA: 3.75
Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 06:35
Biases aside, I think Booth is the easy call here. Booth does significantly better with consulting recruiting than Yale and is solidified as a top 3-5 school while Yale is top 10-12. Yale has made great strides with SOM and the overall Yale brand is strong but it still lags Booth when it comes to class profile and overall opportunities.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 30

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 343

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 27

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 07:39
Top Contributor
chocodol wrote:
Hi all,

I need your help pulling the trigger here. I have pretty much made up my mind but cannot make the final call.

Post-MBA, I would like to get a few years working in the States as a consultant but want to settle in Asia in the long term.

Two thing I could not quite let go about Yale are 1. given its integration with the rest of Yale, the potential broader alumni basis to tap into 2. its brand on the main street (even in the business world the majority do not go to bschool and many have no idea of the ranking)

Would appreciate your takes on this!

Thanks a ton!


Congrats on the admits!!

Booth is a much stronger brand name and definitely has great consulting placements. The Univ of Chicago has also some prominent faculty members in the B-school and that could change your perspective completely about a subject.

I would suggest to speak to the Bschool alums of both the schools and try to get the feel of the school.

Hope this helps!!
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2014
Posts: 68

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 17

Location: United States
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 10:57
The Yale University alumni network is probably the most integrated network there is. That is, there's no meaningful distinction between an SOM alum vs a law school alum vs Yale College. If you go to Yale you're a Yalie. This is a lot different compared to schools like Harvard or Penn, where the network is much more siloed.

There are plenty of reasons to choose booth over Som, but the overall university alumni network and consulting placements aren't among them.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.93
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 14:05
FWIW - multiple folks at McKinsey who I have talked to said that SOM placed very well last year across the firm (on par with HSW). This may not necessarily continue going forward, but just a data point.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2014
Posts: 68

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 17

Location: United States
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 14:21
fourierloko wrote:
FWIW - multiple folks at McKinsey who I have talked to said that SOM placed very well last year across the firm (on par with HSW). This may not necessarily continue going forward, but just a data point.


While McKinsey numbers increased, most of the increase in MBB hiring came from Bain and bcg. They basically doubled the number of SOM students for class of 2017 vs class of 2016.

bb I hope you take notice!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2017
Posts: 14

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 10:56
If you want to work in Asia in the long run, I think Yale has a better international recognition, brand name.
If you plan to stay in the US, Booth is a great choice.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
GPA: 4
Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 07:23
YSOM did very well with McK this year, 25+ for McK internships alone. Given that there are only around students 150 recruiting for consulting, that's not bad. If full-time recruiting takes twice as many students (this is historically the case) then that could mean a third of the consulting class goes to McK alone.

However, the key stat is that there were over 100 McKinsey OCR interview slots in a consulting cohort of 150 (note that intl students may go off-campus). Once you're through to interviews, its more about you and your prep than the school.

Further, I am an intl student and I secured two intl internships by emailing the CEO of my target firms directly (both firms have 50k+ employees but do not take on MBA interns), using the company's email-naming conventions I found online. They both replied and invited me to successful meetings. I am not sure that this would have been possible without the Yale brand.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Aug 2016
Posts: 191

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 43

Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 08:04
larryofiah wrote:
YSOM did very well with McK this year, 25+ for McK internships alone. Given that there are only around students 150 recruiting for consulting, that's not bad. If full-time recruiting takes twice as many students (this is historically the case) then that could mean a third of the consulting class goes to McK alone.

However, the key stat is that there were over 100 McKinsey OCR interview slots in a consulting cohort of 150 (note that intl students may go off-campus). Once you're through to interviews, its more about you and your prep than the school.

Further, I am an intl student and I secured two intl internships by emailing the CEO of my target firms directly (both firms have 50k+ employees but do not take on MBA interns), using the company's email-naming conventions I found online. They both replied and invited me to successful meetings. I am not sure that this would have been possible without the Yale brand.



Do you mind sharing more info ? Like how exactly you contacted them and how did it turn out ? Is it possible from all schools ?
_________________

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 43

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
GPA: 4
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 09:23
mbsingh wrote:
larryofiah wrote:
YSOM did very well with McK this year, 25+ for McK internships alone. Given that there are only around students 150 recruiting for consulting, that's not bad. If full-time recruiting takes twice as many students (this is historically the case) then that could mean a third of the consulting class goes to McK alone.

However, the key stat is that there were over 100 McKinsey OCR interview slots in a consulting cohort of 150 (note that intl students may go off-campus). Once you're through to interviews, its more about you and your prep than the school.

Further, I am an intl student and I secured two intl internships by emailing the CEO of my target firms directly (both firms have 50k+ employees but do not take on MBA interns), using the company's email-naming conventions I found online. They both replied and invited me to successful meetings. I am not sure that this would have been possible without the Yale brand.



Do you mind sharing more info ? Like how exactly you contacted them and how did it turn out ? Is it possible from all schools ?


I've given all the info that I'm wiling to disclose above.

I imagine that it is possible from other schools. My conjecture is only that it may be easier for intl recruiting from world wide brands like H Y S MIT.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Aug 2016
Posts: 191

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 43

Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 09:31
larryofiah wrote:
mbsingh wrote:
larryofiah wrote:
YSOM did very well with McK this year, 25+ for McK internships alone. Given that there are only around students 150 recruiting for consulting, that's not bad. If full-time recruiting takes twice as many students (this is historically the case) then that could mean a third of the consulting class goes to McK alone.

However, the key stat is that there were over 100 McKinsey OCR interview slots in a consulting cohort of 150 (note that intl students may go off-campus). Once you're through to interviews, its more about you and your prep than the school.

Further, I am an intl student and I secured two intl internships by emailing the CEO of my target firms directly (both firms have 50k+ employees but do not take on MBA interns), using the company's email-naming conventions I found online. They both replied and invited me to successful meetings. I am not sure that this would have been possible without the Yale brand.



Do you mind sharing more info ? Like how exactly you contacted them and how did it turn out ? Is it possible from all schools ?


I've given all the info that I'm wiling to disclose above.

I imagine that it is possible from other schools. My conjecture is only that it may be easier for intl recruiting from world wide brands like H Y S MIT.



Cool thanks
_________________

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 43

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 54

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 18:06
chocodol wrote:
Hi all,

I need your help pulling the trigger here. I have pretty much made up my mind but cannot make the final call.

Post-MBA, I would like to get a few years working in the States as a consultant but want to settle in Asia in the long term.

Two thing I could not quite let go about Yale are 1. given its integration with the rest of Yale, the potential broader alumni basis to tap into 2. its brand on the main street (even in the business world the majority do not go to bschool and many have no idea of the ranking)

Would appreciate your takes on this!

Thanks a ton!


Nice job! Jealous of your decision! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Dec 2015
Posts: 26

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests
Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 08:04
I would say Booth if your post MBA goal is consulting.

Also, i don't think you would have any difficulty with job placement in Asia from either school.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2298

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth or Yale? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 18:12
Booth is the call here, the quality of your school/rep has a greater impact on your immediate career opportunities and then after that it is largely up to you when you're making subsequent career moves. I would base your decision on that and with that in mind Booth is the call here although Yale is certainly on the rise
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth or Yale?   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2017, 18:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Booth or Yale?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.