Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 23:07 It is currently 22 May 2024, 23:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [30]
Given Kudos: 344
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
How I got a 750 (Q49, V42) on the GMAT. [#permalink]
boskyie

Amazing debrief and congratulations on the great score! :D

Question on CR: I am focusing on only official questions on CR, but I am finding that I get a lot of 700+ level questions wrong on CR. When I analyze my mistakes, I realize that sometimes, in a hurry, I forget to focus on conclusion specifics (silly mistake) OR I focus on the conclusion but still can't relate the right answer to the conclusion and end up getting confused between 2 options. Like in some challenging CR problems, after reading the solution I understand why the correct answer is correct, but while I was solving the question I couldn't think of that option as the right answer. While I am reviewing every single CR question I do, I still feel that in high difficulty questions, my accuracy is not good.

I've gone through Powerscore CR. My plan is to complete as many GMAT prep question and all Question Pack CR questions before my test. Any advice on how to improve? Or What i might be missing here? Is just practicing tons of question the right way to improve?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
yt770 wrote:
boskyie

Amazing debrief and congratulations on the great score! :D

Question on CR: I am focusing on only official questions on CR, but I am finding that I get a lot of 700+ level questions wrong on CR. When I analyze my mistakes, I realize that sometimes, in a hurry, I forget to focus on conclusion specifics (silly mistake) OR I focus on the conclusion but still can't relate the right answer to the conclusion and end up getting confused between 2 options. Like in some challenging CR problems, after reading the solution I understand why the correct answer is correct, but while I was solving the question I couldn't think of that option as the right answer. While I am reviewing every single CR question I do, I still feel that in high difficulty questions, my accuracy is not good.

I've gone through Powerscore CR. My plan is to complete as many GMAT prep question and all Question Pack CR questions before my test. Any advice on how to improve? Or What i might be missing here? Is just practicing tons of question the right way to improve?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I faced a problem similar to what you just described above; there were a couple of times when I couldn't make the connections between the conclusions and the answer choices I was being presented, so my strategy was to review a lot of practice questions and identify why I got it wrong and study how the test makers made the connections or resolved the discrepancies. I felt that if I could think like the test makers, then I shouldn't have a problem solving these questions. And the only way to think like they did was to read their solutions. So I spent more time reading solutions to CR questions than answering them. I read solutions both to the ones I got right and wrong. Especially for the ones I got right, I wanted to see if I had the same manner of thinking and if I didn't, then I tried to see it through their perspective, and adjust my thinking. After awhile, my accuracy improved. I'm not claiming that my method is the best way to tackle CR but that was the best way for me.

Originally posted by chanlex on 04 May 2017, 14:23.
Last edited by chanlex on 06 May 2017, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Re: How I got a 750 (Q49, V42) on the GMAT. [#permalink]
boskyie wrote:
diegocml wrote:
boskyie, congratulation and thank you for writing such a detailed debrief.

You advices under Things I learned are gold!

Besides solving quant questions from the OG and GMATClub, which other third party sources have you used?

All the best with your applications!

Thanks for your comment. I also used the Veritas Prep free Question Bank. But try and focus mostly on the Official Guides, the Official Reviews, Question Packs and the GMATClub before you use other third party prep.

Hey boskyie

One question - I have covered all the MGMAT books and I'm going over them for a second time now.

Would you recommend the Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63984 [3]
Given Kudos: 1794
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Wow, such a phenomenal debrief. Congratulations on the incredible score, boskyie!

Sooooooo much good stuff here:

Quote:
The GMAT has a finite number of concepts that it tests but an infinite way of testing these concepts, so the only way to answer these questions in the shortest time possible is to develop a sense of pattern recognition and this is only possible by only immersing yourself in the test preparation.

:thumbup:

Quote:
Finally, pick a concept and hammer it till you know it dead cold. Stop jumping around without mastering the concepts.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote:
For RC, immerse yourself in the passage, understand it, love it, let it be the most important thing in the world to you at that moment and then go onto the questions. There are times I would spend 5 mins to understand a passage and then answer the questions in less than 30-35 seconds each. It was eventually more efficient than having to bounce between the questions and passage.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :beer

Congrats again, and good luck with your applications!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3836 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
boskyie wrote:
Background
Things I learned
1. The GMAT has a finite number of concepts that it tests but an infinite way of testing these concepts, so the only way to answer these questions in the shortest time possible is to develop a sense of pattern recognition and this is only possible by only immersing yourself in the test preparation. Practice, practice, and practice. Understanding the concepts is not enough, you have to apply these concepts through practice questions, over and over and over again. They have to become a part of you.

Many congratulations on the score. I am really keen on finding the bunch notes that illustrates all those FINITE number of concepts that GMAT tests and then focus on doing ton of ONLY those questions that test such concepts. I have learned that pattern recognition is all that we need to get better at but i could only collect a very few of them. Any advice on this? How did you jot down all of these concepts/patterns? I am specifically trying to get those apart from cause-effect & conditionals in verbal.
Current Student
Send PM
HKD1710 wrote:
boskyie wrote:
Background
Things I learned
1. The GMAT has a finite number of concepts that it tests but an infinite way of testing these concepts, so the only way to answer these questions in the shortest time possible is to develop a sense of pattern recognition and this is only possible by only immersing yourself in the test preparation. Practice, practice, and practice. Understanding the concepts is not enough, you have to apply these concepts through practice questions, over and over and over again. They have to become a part of you.

Many congratulations on the score. I am really keen on finding the bunch notes that illustrates all those FINITE number of concepts that GMAT tests and then focus on doing ton of ONLY those questions that test such concepts. I have learned that pattern recognition is all that we need to get better at but i could only collect a very few of them. Any advice on this? How did you jot down all of these concepts/patterns? I am specifically trying to get those apart from cause-effect & conditionals in verbal.

Go the gmatprepnow.com by Brent Hannesson and not only does he lists all these concepts for both verbal and quantitative sections, but also gives a list of questions that addresses these concepts. These directories link to the gmatclub forums where you can work on other similar questions.
As to how I jot down all these concepts and patterns, I got 4 big notebooks and solved all the questions in them. So in those moments when I am tired of learning new concepts, I just grab these notebooks and go over these questions. I also learnt to bookmark the really ingenious questions and review it over and over again.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what else you need and how I can help.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
diegocml wrote:
boskyie wrote:
diegocml wrote:
boskyie, congratulation and thank you for writing such a detailed debrief.

You advices under Things I learned are gold!

Besides solving quant questions from the OG and GMATClub, which other third party sources have you used?

All the best with your applications!

Thanks for your comment. I also used the Veritas Prep free Question Bank. But try and focus mostly on the Official Guides, the Official Reviews, Question Packs and the GMATClub before you use other third party prep.

Hey boskyie

One question - I have covered all the MGMAT books and I'm going over them for a second time now.

Would you recommend the Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann?

Thanks!

Yes I would recommend Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann but more importantly I will suggest that you get your score up to 650 before you try additional material. It is my firm belief that Manhattan Guides can get you to 650. Use the MGMAT, get to 650 and then branch out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
Fantastic.
At least you and i share a same background with the exception that i life my job as a border police officer in 2008 after serving for five years.

Thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate if you could please share a break up of your scores, Quantitative and Verbal.

I also been working on GMAT by now for well over a year. I managed to get a good Quant score considering that i still have not check the entire GMAT tests and only went over the Comprehensive OG 16.

Yet, one that that really disturbs me is my verbal score.

Anyway, please take long sleeps and only dream of good schools.
Current Student
Send PM
Heseraj wrote:
Fantastic.
At least you and i share a same background with the exception that i life my job as a border police officer in 2008 after serving for five years.

Thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate if you could please share a break up of your scores, Quantitative and Verbal.

I also been working on GMAT by now for well over a year. I managed to get a good Quant score considering that i still have not check the entire GMAT tests and only went over the Comprehensive OG 16.

When you say the breakdown of scores, are you referring to the scores I got in CR, RC, and SC for Verbal and Algebra and Arithmetic for Quantitative?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
boskyie wrote:
Heseraj wrote:
Fantastic.

When you say the breakdown of scores, are you referring to the scores I got in CR, RC, and SC for Verbal and Algebra and Arithmetic for Quantitative?

Well sir,

You are going perhaps one step ahead of me. If you share only the Q and V of GMAC Practice exams, it will be appreciated. I assume you are not a nonnative speaker, Are you?
Unfortunately, I didn't have much of strong educational background and had to learn everything from basic specially about GMAT.

I started to focus on English while i just started my job as Afghan Border Protection Sergeant back in 2004. Not many resources available there but i kept working and am here now trying to find myself in one of the IVY leagues Universities. I started to focus on GMAT in Dec 2015 while i was in America a little over a year. With a survival income, I couldn't afford new books or GMAT classes. The only available resources for me was Internet, Youtube, GMAT Club and lots of PDF files, books and anything i could find on the internet for free.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Congrats on that amazing score!!

So where are you applying? My advice is to start working to boost other areas of your application. You don't want to come off as just a bookworm! BSchool is so much more than that. Of course, it is amazing and will be a huge gold star on your application, but just remember, it's not a free pass! Work hard on the rest of your apps
_
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
Kudos
bookworm? i think this guy is well on his way to any school he wants. Military + Africa with a decent score alone would be a lock for M7. and he goes well above a decent score, getting a EXCELLENT score. Hope we get into the same schools so I can have the honor of calling you a classmate!
Current Student
Send PM
mikelinthebest wrote:
bookworm? i think this guy is well on his way to any school he wants. Military + Africa with a decent score alone would be a lock for M7. and he goes well above a decent score, getting a EXCELLENT score. Hope we get into the same schools so I can have the honor of calling you a classmate!

Thank you for your insightful comment. And congrats on your amazing score (780). I doff my hat to you. Much respect. I hope you get into the school of your dreams as well and who knows we might see each other; it's a small world.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
boskyie wrote:
Background
I am a married father of 2 kids and I am in the military. I grew up in an African country and went to college there as well, graduating with a GPA of 3.74/4.00. I decided to take the GMAT in the Fall of 2015 but it was not until March 2016 that I started studying for the test. Because of the nature of my job, that is being constantly out in the field where study conditions are abysmal and usually working late nights and early mornings - as early as 5 am- whenever I was back at home, I knew that I needed a lot of time to study and immerse myself in it before I could take the test. I did not want to waste money taking tests I was not prepared for. So, I gave myself a year to study.

I split my studying into 4 stages:
1) knowing and understanding all the concepts that the GMAT tests;
2) applying the concepts by practicing GMAT questions;
3) gaining mastery by using specialized prep material and practicing 700 Level questions
4) taking full-length practice tests to include AWA and IR.

Materials that I used for Stage 1: knowing the concepts
1. Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides to include the Foundations of GMAT Math and Verbal: this is the singular best introduction to GMAT concepts but in my opinion, it is not enough.
2. GMATPrepnow by Brent Hanneson: He has tons of free videos on Youtube. I would listen to this while I drove in my car. He has mastered the art of simplifying the GMAT material
3. Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann

Materials that I used for Stage 2: applying the concepts
1. Official Guide 2017
2. Quant Review for Official Guides 2017
3. Verbal Review for Official Guides 2017
4. GMATClub Forum Questions: ( now you have to be careful here so that you don't go crazy as there are a lot of questions. So I decided to solve and understand 50 questions per concept and mostly choose questions from reputable test prep companies)

Materials for Stage 3: Gaining Mastery
1. Powerscore CR Bible: the most important thing I learned from Powerscore is that once you identify the conclusion, your job is half done.
2. Question Pack 1 (494 Questions): while the official guide is good, this is better. If you really want to help yourself, invest in this
3. GMATClub Forums (700 Level Questions): I tried to master and mirror Bunuel's problem-solving skills.
4. GMATClub Tests: I only used the quant tests and I never did take the full-length tests. I was more interested in solving the questions and understanding how Bunuel arrived at his solutions so easily. Bunuel has quantitative eloquence and if you really want to score high in GMAT Quant, try and read everything he has solved on the GMATClub.

Materials for Stage 4: Practice Tests
1. GMATPrep Software Exams 1 and 2
2. Exam Pack 1 and 2

I think the best practice tests are the GMAT's tests. After finishing a test. I would reset and the software would spit out new questions. Some of the questions were repeated and my scores were no longer accurate but I just wanted access to the questions. I did this for about 4 times for each test and I made sure to review over and over again those I got wrong and even some that I got right because there is a tendency to forget how you solved some questions.

These were my scores:
GMATPrep Exam 1 : 710 (March 4, 2017)
GMATPrep Exam 2 : 690 (March 27,2017)
GMATPrep Exam 3 : 730 (April 16, 2017)
GMATPrep Exam 4 : 690 (April 21,2017)

Needless to say, I was very discouraged with the 690 scores and I had to persuade myself to keep on practicing, reviewing and mastering the aspects of the tests that I found challenging.
I decided to stop taking the practice tests because it was too close to my test date and I did not want to be discouraged if I scored below my target range of 730-760. Because of that I never used Exam Pack 2; I still have it unopened. One thing I learned from taking the practice test is that your GMAT Score bounces within a certain range and the score you get on a certain day is dependent on factors such as chance and mental preparedness.

Study Schedule
Because of my work schedule, I knew I would have to study for awhile before I was ready to take the test. The disadvantage with this strategy was that the longer I studied, the more prone I was to forget the materials that I first learned. So to fight this, I became adept at note-taking and constantly reviewing the study materials.
So this was my study plan:
Monday to Fridays, 2 hours minimum daily and usually from 3 am to 5 am.
Saturdays and Sundays, 6 hours minimum. 4 am to 8 am before my family woke up and 2 hours later in the day depending on how things turned up.

I still had to be there for my family. Just because I was studying did not mean I stopped being a father or husband, but my family also made a lot of sacrifices to accommodate my study schedule. Now I must tell you that although this was what I tried to achieve, it didn't always work out as I planned. There were times when I did not study for a long time like when I traveled out of the country for 3 weeks, or when I had my second child and I couldn't study for a full month or the 3 times I was out in the field. But I always resumed my studies with a vengeance.

Things I learned
2. I decided later during my preparations to stop using third party questions and tests for my verbal prep because I realized that the GMAT has a unique way of writing their verbal questions that other prep companies have failed to replicate. I continued using third party tests and questions for quant.
3. Note-taking is very important. I never knew how valuable this was until the final hours of my study when I started going through all of my notes and the concepts just came alive in my mind. It gave me a certain mental calm. I did not go into the test hall feeling empty and this prevented anxiety.
4. Brent Hannesson's gmatprepnow is fantastic. If there is one resource you want to use for GMAT preparation, then use this. Nobody will teach you permutation, combinations, and probability better than he taught me. He essentially boiled everything down to counting. Like I said earlier, he has mastered the art of simplifying GMAT material.
5. Read the review of the Official Guide by mcelroytutoring. It did fantastic things for me.
6. Finally, pick a concept and hammer it till you know it dead cold. Stop jumping around without mastering the concepts.
7. For Sentence Correction, I would solve like 70 questions at a go, identify my mistakes and start solving all over again. After awhile, I recognized the patterns and common traps. For RC, immerse yourself in the passage, understand it, love it, let it be the most important thing in the world to you at that moment and then go onto the questions. There are times I would spend 5 mins to understand a passage and then answer the questions in less than 30-35 seconds each. It was eventually more efficient than having to bounce between the questions and passage. CR was the toughest challenge for me in the verbal section but again, review, review, and review because it is all about understanding the concepts, understanding your errors and pattern recognition.

Test Day
I scheduled the test 24 hours before I took it because I just got tired of studying and angry at the 690 score I got some days earlier. I figured that I wouldn't get smarter between now and another 7 days and I wanted to find out where I stood. I broke the rule of resting before testing; I didn't sleep for more than 3 hours the night prior to the test because I wanted to review everything I had invested time in studying. I was worked late and also had to take my daughter to a program in her school so I stayed up till 1 am and I woke up 4 am. I drove 90 mins to the test center, began my test at 8 am, took a quick break after every section to use the bathroom and drink water.

I finished and saw my scores: Q 49, V 42 and IR 6. Total 750 (98 percentile). Official Score came out today and I scored 5 on AWA.
I was more relieved than happy in the first few seconds because it meant that I could sleep well that night.

Hats off to your dedication and perseverance. I am sure that you went through much more than you jotted down here.. really inspired me.. keep going..

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37471 posts