Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:01 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33028 [36]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [9]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one [#permalink]
Bookmarks
This appears quite strange to me .. Or may be I'm missing something ... :roll:
"Which" is supposed to modify a noun just preceding it; However, the fragment "by Paul Simon, which" suggests that "which" here refers to "Paul Simon" instead of "The “Graceland” album".

Anyone... Any ideas why?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one [#permalink]
Kudos
Kryptographer wrote:
"Which" is supposed to modify a noun just preceding it; However, the fragment "by Paul Simon, which" suggests that "which" here refers to "Paul Simon" instead of "The “Graceland” album".

Anyone... Any ideas why?

You are absolutely correct that "which " refers to noun preceding to it
And same thing is applied here too
The "Graceland Album by Paul Simon" together considered a single noun word.

I still believe that some ambiguity is there, but this is best among all other options

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
arjittak wrote:
Kryptographer wrote:

Anyone... Any ideas why?

You are absolutely correct that "which " refers to noun preceding to it
And same thing is applied here too
The "Graceland Album by Paul Simon" together considered a single noun word.

I still believe that some ambiguity is there, but this is best among all other options

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I guess here the word 'which' is clearly modifying 'Graceland Album' because in the phrase 'Graceland Album by Paul Simon', 'by Paul Simon' is the adverbial modifier so can be ignored.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Bookmarks
Remember the following 2 rules for 'which' to be correct on the GMAT:

1. ‘Which’ should always come after a comma
2. ‘Which’ must refer to the noun that comes immediately before the comma.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

In case, either of these conditions is not satisfied, there's a pronoun error in the sentence and needs to be corrected.

(A) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one that I loaned to Mudita.

(B) Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita. Incorrect

(C) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one which I loaned to Mudita. Incorrect

(D) Paul Simon (missing comma) which is my favorite is the one which I loaned to Mudita. Incorrect

(E) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is (the) one that I loaned to Mudita. Incorrect
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6131 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Expert please explains why the first "which" here refers to the album but Paul Simon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Can someone explain what is wrong with b? which/that are supposed to be controversial in the given contraction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [2]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Ruigr3 wrote:
Can someone explain what is wrong with b? which/that are supposed to be controversial in the given contraction.

The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one that I loaned to Mudita.

(B) Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita.
(C) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one which I loaned to Mudita.
(D) Paul Simon which is my favorite is the one which I loaned to Mudita.
(E) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is one that I loaned to Mudita.

which clause preceded by comma is used as non-essential modifier and that clause without comma is ueds as essential modifier
Now the question is what are essential modifier and what are non-essential modifier
essential modifer is that modifer without that the meaning of the sentence is not clear whereas non essential modifier is that modfier, even after removing non- essential modifier from the sentence the meaning doesn't chage.
So
consider theoption B
Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita.
now read the sentence without that clasue
the sentence looks like
The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one I loaned to Mudita , is the one that I loaned to Mudita.
do we have any problem in understanding the meaning? definitely no so we need a non essential modifer to add some extra meaning to the sentence.
We also need that after one that clause after one is essential modifer and we need that modifier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Hey daboo343.
Thank you for the explanation.
I still have some difficulties with the second part.
If we omit the first non essential modifier, then we have:
The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one that I loaned to Mudita. vs The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one I loaned to Mudita. Why that is so critical? Can't I say The ticket on the table is the one I booked yesterday ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ruigr3 wrote:
Hey daboo343.
The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one that I loaned to Mudita. vs The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one I loaned to Mudita. Why that is so critical? Can't I say The ticket on the table is the one I booked yesterday ?

I think you're correct, Ruigr3! In plenty of cases (including your example about the ticket), there's really no need to use "that" if the meaning is clear without it. Actually, many American writing instructors would argue that the word "that" is completely unnecessary in (A), and shouldn't be included in the sentence at all.

But on the GMAT, you won't ever have to worry about that distinction. Whenever you see "that" or "which" used as a noun modifier, you generally just have to figure out whether the modifier makes logical sense. Here, "that I loaned to Mudita" is just modifying "the one" (album), and that's obviously fine.

And my usual disclaimer: the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each GMAT question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete. So as always, please take these non-official questions with a huge grain of salt. This one really doesn't resemble a real question -- even if it is generating some good discussion!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Source: Nova GMAT

The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one that I loaned to Mudita.

(B) Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita.
(D) Paul Simon which is my favorite is the one which I loaned to Mudita.
(E) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is one that I loaned to Mudita.

Though I chose option B, after reading multiple posts, it is clear that this is one of those questions where if we alter the position of "which" is going to change the meaning and/or make the sentence awkward.

And as GMATNinja says, we need to take this question with a "huge grain of salt" as this question is not an official question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
I marked B as the answer.
Experts pl inform why usage of "that" is incorrect.
I thought That is used as a noun entity and it reflects back to Graceland album by Paul Simon.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SAHILJPR wrote:
I marked B as the answer.
Experts pl inform why usage of "that" is incorrect.
I thought That is used as a noun entity and it reflects back to Graceland album by Paul Simon.

Please check out my responses above -- I address both the use of "that" and the reasons why this question might not be worth much of your time:

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A

(A) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one that I loaned to Mudita. -- Correct
(B) Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita. -- Usage of 'that' after comma
(C) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one which I loaned to Mudita. -- Need 'that' after "the one"
(D) Paul Simon which is my favorite is the one which I loaned to Mudita. -- Usage of 'which' without comma
(E) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is one that I loaned to Mudita. -- need 'the' before one
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Can someone please tell me why option C is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GittinGud wrote:
Can someone please tell me why option C is incorrect?

"which" unless preceded by "in" or "for" etc requires a "," before it.

In option C,
There is no comma before the second which.
So, C is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: The Graceland album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
Ruigr3 wrote:
Hey daboo343.

I think you're correct, Ruigr3! In plenty of cases (including your example about the ticket), there's really no need to use "that" if the meaning is clear without it. Actually, many American writing instructors would argue that the word "that" is completely unnecessary in (A), and shouldn't be included in the sentence at all.

But on the GMAT, you won't ever have to worry about that distinction. Whenever you see "that" or "which" used as a noun modifier, you generally just have to figure out whether the modifier makes logical sense. Here, "that I loaned to Mudita" is just modifying "the one" (album), and that's obviously fine.

And my usual disclaimer: the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each GMAT question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete. So as always, please take these non-official questions with a huge grain of salt. This one really doesn't resemble a real question -- even if it is generating some good discussion!

GMATNinja you are the best! I spent almost 30 mins reading all the comments to understand why is the absence of "that" in option B incorrect and wasted all my time. This post should really be at the top of the discussion.

bb I think GMAT Club topic discussions should really have a "expert filter" option. While I totally agree community discussions helps clarifying a lot of doubts, sometimes you just want to jump into what an expert has to say. Hope I am making sense.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Graceland album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts