It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1101 [1], given: 544

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (00:49) correct 43% (00:42) wrong based on 611 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source: Nova GMAT

The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one that I loaned to Mudita.

(A) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one that I loaned to Mudita.
(B) Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita.
(C) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one which I loaned to Mudita.
(D) Paul Simon which is my favorite is the one which I loaned to Mudita.
(E) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is one that I loaned to Mudita.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1101 [1], given: 544

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 13:09
The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one that I loaned to Mudita.

(D) Paul Simon (missing comma) which is my favorite is the one which I loaned to Mudita.
(E) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is (the) one that I loaned to Mudita.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 22:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This appears quite strange to me .. Or may be I'm missing something ... :roll:
"Which" is supposed to modify a noun just preceding it; However, the fragment "by Paul Simon, which" suggests that "which" here refers to "Paul Simon" instead of "The “Graceland” album".

Anyone... Any ideas why?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 25

Re: The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
Kryptographer wrote:
"Which" is supposed to modify a noun just preceding it; However, the fragment "by Paul Simon, which" suggests that "which" here refers to "Paul Simon" instead of "The “Graceland” album".

Anyone... Any ideas why?

You are absolutely correct that "which " refers to noun preceding to it
And same thing is applied here too
The "Graceland Album by Paul Simon" together considered a single noun word.

I still believe that some ambiguity is there, but this is best among all other options

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 25

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 05:11
arjittak wrote:
Kryptographer wrote:

Anyone... Any ideas why?

You are absolutely correct that "which " refers to noun preceding to it
And same thing is applied here too
The "Graceland Album by Paul Simon" together considered a single noun word.

I still believe that some ambiguity is there, but this is best among all other options

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I guess here the word 'which' is clearly modifying 'Graceland Album' because in the phrase 'Graceland Album by Paul Simon', 'by Paul Simon' is the adverbial modifier so can be ignored.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Schools: IIMA , IIMA PGPX"18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 07:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Remember the following 2 rules for 'which' to be correct on the GMAT:

1. ‘Which’ should always come after a comma
2. ‘Which’ must refer to the noun that comes immediately before the comma.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

In case, either of these conditions is not satisfied, there's a pronoun error in the sentence and needs to be corrected.

(B) Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita. Incorrect

(C) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one which I loaned to Mudita. Incorrect

(D) Paul Simon (missing comma) which is my favorite is the one which I loaned to Mudita. Incorrect

(E) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is (the) one that I loaned to Mudita. Incorrect

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need.

“The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”
-Swami Vivekananda

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1018 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 08:44

Kudos [?]: 1018 [0], given: 61

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1903 [3], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Expert please explains why the first "which" here refers to the album but Paul Simon.

SajjadAhmad wrote:

Typically, we want to place noun modifiers (i.e. which, that, where, when, etc.) as close as possible to the noun, but sometimes a pesky little prepositional phrase (or other modifier) gets in the way, as is the case with choice (A). If we try putting the noun modifier next to "album", we get, "The 'Graceland' album, which is my favorite, by Paul Simon is the one that I loaned to Mudita." Now the noun modifier is right next to the noun but we've created a worse problem by splitting up the prepositional phrase and the noun that it modifies. In this case, putting the noun modifier right after the prepositional phrase is okay, because we really don't have any better options.

You don't see this issue all that often on real GMAT questions, but here are a couple of classic examples:

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1903 [3], given: 454

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 21:59
Can someone explain what is wrong with b? which/that are supposed to be controversial in the given contraction.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 159

Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 23:05
Ruigr3 wrote:
Can someone explain what is wrong with b? which/that are supposed to be controversial in the given contraction.

which clause preceded by comma is used as non-essential modifier and that clause without comma is ueds as essential modifier
Now the question is what are essential modifier and what are non-essential modifier
essential modifer is that modifer without that the meaning of the sentence is not clear whereas non essential modifier is that modfier, even after removing non- essential modifier from the sentence the meaning doesn't chage.
So
consider theoption B
Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita.
now read the sentence without that clasue
the sentence looks like
The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one I loaned to Mudita , is the one that I loaned to Mudita.
do we have any problem in understanding the meaning? definitely no so we need a non essential modifer to add some extra meaning to the sentence.
We also need that after one that clause after one is essential modifer and we need that modifier.

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 159

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 00:01
Hey daboo343.
Thank you for the explanation.
I still have some difficulties with the second part.
If we omit the first non essential modifier, then we have:
The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one that I loaned to Mudita. vs The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one I loaned to Mudita. Why that is so critical? Can't I say The ticket on the table is the one I booked yesterday ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1903 [1], given: 454

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ruigr3 wrote:
Hey daboo343.
Thank you for the explanation.
I still have some difficulties with the second part.
If we omit the first non essential modifier, then we have:
The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one that I loaned to Mudita. vs The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon is the one I loaned to Mudita. Why that is so critical? Can't I say The ticket on the table is the one I booked yesterday ?

I think you're correct, Ruigr3! In plenty of cases (including your example about the ticket), there's really no need to use "that" if the meaning is clear without it. Actually, many American writing instructors would argue that the word "that" is completely unnecessary in (A), and shouldn't be included in the sentence at all.

But on the GMAT, you won't ever have to worry about that distinction. Whenever you see "that" or "which" used as a noun modifier, you generally just have to figure out whether the modifier makes logical sense. Here, "that I loaned to Mudita" is just modifying "the one" (album), and that's obviously fine.

And my usual disclaimer: the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each GMAT question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete. So as always, please take these non-official questions with a huge grain of salt. This one really doesn't resemble a real question -- even if it is generating some good discussion!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |

Kudos [?]: 1903 [1], given: 454

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 13:41
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Though I chose option B, after reading multiple posts, it is clear that this is one of those questions where if we alter the position of "which" is going to change the meaning and/or make the sentence awkward.

And as GMATNinja says, we need to take this question with a "huge grain of salt" as this question is not an official question.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 195

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 08:09
I marked B as the answer.
Experts pl inform why usage of "that" is incorrect.
I thought That is used as a noun entity and it reflects back to Graceland album by Paul Simon.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 21

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1903 [0], given: 454

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 23:28
SAHILJPR wrote:
I marked B as the answer.
Experts pl inform why usage of "that" is incorrect.
I thought That is used as a noun entity and it reflects back to Graceland album by Paul Simon.

Please check out my responses above -- I address both the use of "that" and the reasons why this question might not be worth much of your time:

I hope this helps!

Need an expert reply?

YouTube verbal webinars:

Kudos [?]: 1903 [0], given: 454

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 07:48
IMO A

(A) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one that I loaned to Mudita. -- Correct
(B) Paul Simon, that is my favorite, is the one I loaned to Mudita. -- Usage of 'that' after comma
(C) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one which I loaned to Mudita. -- Need 'that' after "the one"
(D) Paul Simon which is my favorite is the one which I loaned to Mudita. -- Usage of 'which' without comma
(E) Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is one that I loaned to Mudita. -- need 'the' before one

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 07:48

The “Graceland” album by Paul Simon, which is my favorite, is the one

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap