Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 3.77
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Thanks, SBCErikaOlson for the suggestions. Even I'm yet to start brainstorming for Stanford. I can figure out what I can draft for "Why Stanford" but as souvik101990, I'm struck in deciding what I should draft for "What Matters Most. May be your suggestions would really help. I know Stanford values community oriented things. Should I include that and show the integrity and leadership in my 1st essay as well?
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I would suggest a different approach -- it sounds like you're trying to write what you think they want to hear and shoehorn examples in, which is usually not a good strategy for What Matters Most (or really, any MBA essay).

I would think back on your life and see if there is a common thread to things you've done that you're proudest of, or a theme to times you've taken action or initiative. Some of the stories could even be from childhood or when you were younger. If a common thread emerges, that's probably a hint as to what your "answer" is to What Matters Most. You have to be genuine and back up your answer with proof (things you've done/actions you've taken) about the thing you're claiming is all-important to you.

Hope that helps!

Gnpth wrote:
Thanks, SBCErikaOlson for the suggestions. Even I'm yet to start brainstorming for Stanford. I can figure out what I can draft for "Why Stanford" but as souvik101990, I'm struck in deciding what I should draft for "What Matters Most. May be your suggestions would really help. I know Stanford values community oriented things. Should I include that and show the integrity and leadership in my 1st essay as well?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Top Contributor
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
I would suggest a different approach -- it sounds like you're trying to write what you think they want to hear and shoehorn examples in, which is usually not a good strategy for What Matters Most (or really, any MBA essay).

I would think back on your life and see if there is a common thread to things you've done that you're proudest of, or a theme to times you've taken action or initiative. Some of the stories could even be from childhood or when you were younger. If a common thread emerges, that's probably a hint as to what your "answer" is to What Matters Most. You have to be genuine and back up your answer with proof (things you've done/actions you've taken) about the thing you're claiming is all-important to you.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again for your suggestion. I will try based on the approach you provided. :-D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Dear All,

it looks like there aren't that many questions for our chat session.
Maybe we should postpone it for a later date?
Board of Directors
Send PM
https://gmatclub.com/blog/2017/07/a-per ... =hootsuite

Some cool article on GMATClub!

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Send PM
Deadline for first round fast approaching - everyone finishing up his/her app already? :)
Board of Directors
Send PM
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton: What’s the Difference?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Finishing??!? bruh we still have almost 2 months. I'm planning to finish the essays after coming back from burning man lol, hopefully enlightened...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson, thanks a lot for your thoughts! Any advice for GSB reapplicants? In particular, given that the essay is the same, should it be different from the previous one? I understand CV and app form must be updated with all the accomplishments and developments, but what about essays? I believe there are basically 3 options:
1) Trying to write a completely different answer to WMM&W question
2) Keeping the same essay
3) Some mix of 1 and 2
What would you generally recommend?

Similar question about references - should they be from different recommenders or from the same recommenders but different letters or could just be the same letters?

Questions are obviously GSB specific.

Thanks in advance!
Board of Directors
Send PM
CorporateFinancier wrote:
SBCErikaOlson, thanks a lot for your thoughts! Any advice for GSB reapplicants? In particular, given that the essay is the same, should it be different from the previous one? I understand CV and app form must be updated with all the accomplishments and developments, but what about essays? I believe there are basically 3 options:
3) Some mix of 1 and 2

Similar question about references - should they be from different recommenders or from the same recommenders but different letters or could just be the same letters?

Thanks in advance!

actually, some really good questions...as a re-applicant, I would love to know what to do with essays as well...should I keep the same or should I re-write everything from the scratch?
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there -

I have worked with some successful Stanford reapplicants (note: they had all been interviewed in past attempts) and they mostly kept their What Matters Most essay the same. Because, I mean... wouldn't it be weird to CHANGE What Matters Most to you in the course of a year or so? Doing so would imply you hadn't really thought it through last time around. However, if there are additional examples/stories you can include in your response to provide further proof that you are "walking the walk" and actually DOING something about what matters most to you, that would be a worthy update to the essay. And if What Matters Most to you can somehow be tied to reapplying to Stanford then you could add that in as well (again, only if it makes sense -- not if it seems forced).

As for Essay 2, it's OK if you have tweaked your career goals (which would in turn slightly change your Why Stanford? details in that same response) -- perhaps you've done something else since the last time you applied that further solidified your goals or opened you up to a new direction. But if nothing has changed on that front either, that's OK too. Leave the essay the same.

Reapplying is mostly about taking the chance to see if you stack up better in the adcom's eyes with the new applicants you'll be compared to this year. But when it comes to a school like Stanford where the odds are so low in the first place, I would obviously recommend candidates apply to other schools as first-time applicants as well.

Best of luck!

mvictor wrote:
CorporateFinancier wrote:
3) Some mix of 1 and 2

Thanks in advance!

actually, some really good questions...as a re-applicant, I would love to know what to do with essays as well...should I keep the same or should I re-write everything from the scratch?
Board of Directors
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Hi there -

I have worked with some successful Stanford reapplicants (note: they had all been interviewed in past attempts) and they mostly kept their What Matters Most essay the same. Because, I mean... wouldn't it be weird to CHANGE What Matters Most to you in the course of a year or so? Doing so would imply you hadn't really thought it through last time around. However, if there are additional examples/stories you can include in your response to provide further proof that you are "walking the walk" and actually DOING something about what matters most to you, that would be a worthy update to the essay. And if What Matters Most to you can somehow be tied to reapplying to Stanford then you could add that in as well (again, only if it makes sense -- not if it seems forced).

As for Essay 2, it's OK if you have tweaked your career goals (which would in turn slightly change your Why Stanford? details in that same response) -- perhaps you've done something else since the last time you applied that further solidified your goals or opened you up to a new direction. But if nothing has changed on that front either, that's OK too. Leave the essay the same.

Reapplying is mostly about taking the chance to see if you stack up better in the adcom's eyes with the new applicants you'll be compared to this year. But when it comes to a school like Stanford where the odds are so low in the first place, I would obviously recommend candidates apply to other schools as first-time applicants as well.

Best of luck!

Thank you, Erika,

What if, say, I did not reflect enough on my "what matters to you, and why?" essay, and now I think I need to have it completely changed? just wondering - Does the admission committee check the app for last year for the re-applicants?
Send PM
Expert Reply
While I think we can never know for sure and I find it hard to believe that the adcom would NOT recheck your past application to see what notes they had before they actually admit a reapplicant,
I have a client this year who called all of the top programs about this and it seems like Kellogg is the only one who said they definitely will look back at the past app upon their first review of a reapplicant's new submission. (The other schools said they would NOT look back at it... but I'm wondering if that's only for their first review/interview-invite determination and they still would before actually admitting something.)

That being said, if you feel like you didn't put your best foot forward in your previous application with your WMM answer and have thought it through more thoroughly now, then yes, I do think you should rewrite it. But I would NOT mention anything about your past application or actually say anything comparing it to what you wrote before. No need to call attention to it!

Good luck!

mvictor wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Hi there -

Best of luck!

Thank you, Erika,

What if, say, I did not reflect enough on my "what matters to you, and why?" essay, and now I think I need to have it completely changed? just wondering - Does the admission committee check the app for last year for the re-applicants?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Thank you SBCErikaOlson!
another question regarding the re-applicants, maybe someone knows too...
if GMAT score & TOEFL were sent last year, do I need to resend the scores again, knowing that the university already has my records?
Send PM
Expert Reply
I believe that as long as the scores are within the timeframe the school dictates (meaning they're not too old to be considered invalid) then you would not need to resend them as they would have them from last year).

However, this is a reason you should not wait until the last minute to upload your materials. The systems usually show check marks against each component of the application, so I believe you will get confirmation that they still have your scores once they match everything with your ID number/email (or however they match everyone's test scores to their applications).

If you are concerned, call them to be sure. And remember it usually takes at least 2 weeks for the test companies to send reports to the school (electronically) if you do indeed need to resend.

Good luck!

mvictor wrote:
Thank you SBCErikaOlson!
another question regarding the re-applicants, maybe someone knows too...
if GMAT score & TOEFL were sent last year, do I need to resend the scores again, knowing that the university already has my records?
Board of Directors
Send PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-jxVIX ... e=youtu.be

how to get into Stanford GSB live stream!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Hi guys! Also applying to GSB as my top choice in Rd 1.

GMAT: 760 (49 Q, 44 V)
GPA: 3.7 from HYP undergrad
Occupation: Finance (2 yrs MBB, currently in investment management)

Good luck to everyone!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  24   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts