It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 19:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Verbal Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 12:20
hlin wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Aaliyah537, I do think that is seriously good advice, and I know the blog you are referring to, and they are known to make solid posts. My 2 bits is that you will never know when that lightbulb will go off, and it is more likely that it will while you are working on some other essays. That said, it should not stop you from writing the Why Stanford content.

hlin - I'd be curious to know if you are willing to share your what matters most and why approach. How did you tackle it?

I originally fell into the trap of thinking about what...I care about most (which is education). But I don't think I was being honest with myself by saying that education is what has mattered to me most in the last twenty-some years of my life. I care the most about education NOW...but that's not something that has defined who I am as a person for my entire life.

I think what led me towards the correct path was thinking about what I love to do. I would suggest using lists, meditation, thinking out loud in the shower, running, yoga, whatever method of thought processing works for you. Think about what you TRULY like to do and also what personality trait(s) is/are constantly "noticed" by others (for me, it was the fact that I like talking...A LOT.

After landing on the "what" - this is where I ran into my biggest hurdle. I fell into explaining "what" it is that matters to me and that's exactly what they tell you NOT to do. I wrote an entire essay that was more centered around the "what" than the "why". Had to toss the entire essay. HOWEVER, it did help me get a better grasp around the "what" and helped me clearly define it...so at the end, it was still a helpful exercise.

So after I tossed my "what-centric" essay, I took a step back and thought: Ok, so I love to talk. I love to communicate. But why? Why is it important to me? Why do I talk so much? Why do I think it's important to others? How has talking a lot impacted me in a good/bad way? What does this mean for my future? Ask yourself questions like that.

TLDR: (1) Make lists/workout/shower/meditate do whatever to figure out the why, focus on things you like to do and things ppl notice about you. (2) Don't spend your entire essay writing about the what, but do have a very well-defined "what". (3) Ask yourself lots of questions to get to the "why"

Worth reading each and every word that you wrote hlin! The approach you have taken is clearly the right approach specifically when you are writting an essay for GSB.

All the best for your application, do keep us posted.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Verbal Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 12:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mvictor wrote:
Good morning/evening everyone,
Is anyone interested in having a chat with an admitted student, to whom Africa MBA Fellowship was granted?
I believe applicants from Africa would love to hear from him. Let me know, and we'll try to schedule a chat!

mvictor, it will be great to be a part of such an event, please do let us know the details.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GRE 1: 317 Q162 V155
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 22:06
mvictor wrote:
Is anyone interested in having a chat with an admitted student, to whom Africa MBA Fellowship was granted?
I believe applicants from Africa would love to hear from him. Let me know, and we'll try to schedule a chat!

Hello mvictor. This would be great, thanks a lot. I'm definitely interested.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 23:44
(y)
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:40
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
That would be awesome ♡

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

ydmuley wrote:
mvictor, it will be great to be a part of such an event, please do let us know the details.

kplu1 wrote:
Hello mvictor. This would be great, thanks a lot. I'm definitely interested.

I am trying to arrange for it! More info soon!

p.s. I have just noticed that the stats in first post is not working; I asked Narenn to help with that too.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mvictor wrote:
I am trying to arrange for it! More info soon!

p.s. I have just noticed that the stats in first post is not working; I asked Narenn to help with that too.

Thanks for reporting the issue. It's fixed now.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Board of Directors
P
Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 10:29
good news; we'll have the chat session that I promised soon.
Will let you know the date as soon as I have it!

p.s. on the topic: I got myself cornered in such a way, that I no longer know what exactly I want, and this is very very bad
even throwing at least some ideas for "what matters to you, and why?" essay seems almost impossible...on the other hand - I definitely do not want to lie...

how's everyone else tackling this essay?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 330 Q161 V169

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
mvictor wrote:

I'd really like to join the chat when its scheduled!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 13:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
:thumbup:

Last edited by champachameli on 20 Sep 2017, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 20:34
Any Jamaicans here?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello GSB aspirants. Actually became a little tiny bit famous for this blog I posted in GMAT Club last year…might be a helpful read.

https://www.mbaessaycoaching.com/stanfo ... icipation/

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 19:05
Why hasn't Stanford or MIT Sloan set up events in India :/

MIT is coming in September as part of the MBA Tour - but that's soooo late!
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
Please let me know what kind of questions you have for our chat session so that the person could be better prepared to answer the questions!
thanks!
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.77
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 10:12
mvictor wrote:
Please let me know what kind of questions you have for our chat session so that the person could be better prepared to answer the questions!
thanks!

I do like to know where in the application does the Stanford admissions determines your intellectual vitality and demonstrated leadership potential?

Is this chat with the student that received the Africa MBA Fellowship? Also, when is this chat going to be held?

Thanks.
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 10:16
qaoguntade wrote:
mvictor wrote:
thanks!

I do like to know where in the application does the Stanford admissions determines your intellectual vitality and demonstrated leadership potential?

Is this chat with the student that received the Africa MBA Fellowship? Also, when is this chat going to be held?

Thanks.

yes, with him
I plan to schedule it for this Saturday if possible; if not - next
9 AM PST (LA) - 10 AM CST (Chicago) - 11 AM EST (New York) - 9:30PM India time
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 330 Q161 V169

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 11:38
mvictor wrote:
thanks!

I'd like to know about his/her background prior to school, how they put together a strong application, and what they think seperates a GSB student from others.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.77
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 14:58
That is great mvictor. I was selected as this year finalist, so I do love to hear about his perspective. Also, I am in EST, so the time works well for me.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 14:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bb10 wrote:

Stanford coming in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 18:46
Events posted?

souvik101990 wrote:
bb10 wrote:

Stanford coming in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
qaoguntade wrote:
mvictor wrote:
thanks!

Thanks.

qaoguntade I can answer that - have your recommenders select anecdotes that speak to these qualities, discussing instances where you have modeled leadership and intellectual curiosity. The kind of hobbies and interests show the intellectual vitality part as well. Make good use of the "additional" section on the resume. And Why Stanford might also be a good way to share substantiation of how you have these qualities, to a lesser degree. WMM&W essay CAN also be a conduit for this however doesn't have to. Of course, interview responses will optimally show these qualities as well.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2017, 01:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  20    Next  [ 388 posts ] 

Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: ydmuley, mvictor

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap