It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.84
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 15:05
HeadingEast wrote:
mvictor wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
[quote="procman"]Hey mvictor, why does your decision tracker for Stanford already say WD?

are you applying anywhere?

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

I don't think I am...no recommendations is one of the reasons...second...I think that I'm not smart enough to get in any of the top10-20-50...

I don't believe that. What constitutes smart in the world of MBA applications? your GMAT right. To me the biggest challenge of the GMAT is the time crunch. You have to learn and practice these concepts until you can do them in your sleep. That's the only way to beat the time constraint. The GMAT in my opinion is not about how smart you are but how damn prepared you are. I got a 490 on my first practice test and people told me "you can only improve by 100 points or so beyond that it's just intellect." That's BS. I studied 15 hrs a week for 4 months and got the score I wanted.[/quote]

Agreed. Gmat can be learned so it’s actually not a good indicator for how smart people are.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 11:14
HeadingEast wrote:
I don't believe that. What constitutes smart in the world of MBA applications? your GMAT right. To me the biggest challenge of the GMAT is the time crunch. You have to learn and practice these concepts until you can do them in your sleep. That's the only way to beat the time constraint. The GMAT in my opinion is not about how smart you are but how damn prepared you are. I got a 490 on my first practice test and people told me "you can only improve by 100 points or so beyond that it's just intellect." That's BS. I studied 15 hrs a week for 4 months and got the score I wanted.

Well, I improved on GMAT by 100 points, and I know that it's possible to improve even further...
Nonetheless, looking at my experience, my educational background, and my recent interviews that I have had, I am far away from the guys who apply here.
I can only wish to get to where some of you are right now :)
p.s. further, I guess I have a fear that even if I get into any b-school, it would turn out that I am not prepared to be in there.

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 200

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 83

Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 330 Q161 V169
Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 11:33
mvictor wrote:
HeadingEast wrote:
I don't believe that. What constitutes smart in the world of MBA applications? your GMAT right. To me the biggest challenge of the GMAT is the time crunch. You have to learn and practice these concepts until you can do them in your sleep. That's the only way to beat the time constraint. The GMAT in my opinion is not about how smart you are but how damn prepared you are. I got a 490 on my first practice test and people told me "you can only improve by 100 points or so beyond that it's just intellect." That's BS. I studied 15 hrs a week for 4 months and got the score I wanted.

Well, I improved on GMAT by 100 points, and I know that it's possible to improve even further...
Nonetheless, looking at my experience, my educational background, and my recent interviews that I have had, I am far away from the guys who apply here.
I can only wish to get to where some of you are right now :)
p.s. further, I guess I have a fear that even if I get into any b-school, it would turn out that I am not prepared to be in there.

I think its all in your mindset, to be quite honest. For instance, when you say you are not smart enough to get into a top 50, I'm very confused. Schools in the 35 - 50 range have admit rates of 30% and above. Are you saying if you applied to four schools like, say Uni of Georgia, Uni of Rochester, Temple University, etc., and their cumulative admit rates sum up to 100% or more, not one of those would accept you? Is this really how you think, or are you exaggerating? If its really how you think, I'm not sure applying to MBA programs is going help. Not because you're not smart enough, but because you need more confidence. If you're exaggerating, then its best to stop. You're a leader - putting yourself down isn't useful.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 83

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 198 [1], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@mvictor what is this crap about not smart enough. NOT all smart people do well on the GMAT. I don't know I think you should probably reexamine that assumption. With regards the recommendations yes I think that that is probably something you'll need to work out and if it's not an option at work, then I would recommend that you get involved with a community-based volunteer group established a leadership position and work at that angle rather than the employer angle. And also I'd like for everyone to know that it's beyond possible to get into a top school without a supervisor recommendation. One of my students at Wharton right now submitted a peer recommendation and a community involvement peer recommendation. My last piece of advice would be if you to fall asleep to the subliminal self esteem binaural beats affirmations on YouTube.

Farrell Dyan
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 198 [1], given: 76

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 06:56
Has anyone heard about the invitations for the MSx program? I'm not sure whether there is a different thread for that. Nothing on Clearadmit.com as well

Sent from my MI 6 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 10:28
mvictor I increased my GMAT 100 points in three weeks. Did I magically become smarter in 3 weeks? doesn't seem likely

Farrell Dyan
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 76

6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [6], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
Got the invite today!!! :-)

Invited to Interview: 2017/10/30
Heard back via: Email
Location: Cambridge, MA (originally from Central Asia; first-year graduate student at Harvard Kennedy School)
GPA: 3.71 (from Top-30 US university with double honors in quantitative majors)
WE: 15 months (4 months launching an NGO in home country, 7 months in consulting, 3 months at the UN)
Industry: Non-profit/Social impact
Post-MBA career goal: Entrepreneurship
Submited on: 2017/09/19

Stanford GSB is absolutely a dream school. Also applied for the Knight-Hennessy Scholarship.

Kudos [?]: 6 [6], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Schools: Stanford '20 (S)
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
john9922

Congratulations!!! must be a great feeling. Best of luck preparing for it.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 14:56
Is it confirmed that all invites are being sent out at 1:30et each day?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 11:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey guys,

I am a new user here. I am a college senior from Eastern Europe interested in learning more about the Stanford's Deferred enrollment program from anyone that might have any further clue.

1. Do you have any stats? Acceptance rates or "class profile"?
2. Is it ok to apply together with HBS 2+2 in R3, or am I supposed to apply in R1/R2 (basically R2 since R1 deadline has passed a long time ago)?
3. Say for example you have been admitted for class of 2023, could you ask to further defer enrollment after that period of time (as you can at HBS up to 2 extra years after the 2 first years)?

Also, I am supposed to post such questions in a different thread of the forum?

Thank you so much in advance.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 800 Q60 V60

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 12:52
culdesac wrote:
Is it confirmed that all invites are being sent out at 1:30et each day?
The email from Stanford specifically stated 10:30AM PT.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 12:53
BillyM26 wrote:
Hey guys,

I am a new user here. I am a college senior from Eastern Europe interested in learning more about the Stanford's Deferred enrollment program from anyone that might have any further clue.

1. Do you have any stats? Acceptance rates or "class profile"?
2. Is it ok to apply together with HBS 2+2 in R3, or am I supposed to apply in R1/R2 (basically R2 since R1 deadline has passed a long time ago)?
3. Say for example you have been admitted for class of 2023, could you ask to further defer enrollment after that period of time (as you can at HBS up to 2 extra years after the 2 first years)?

Also, I am supposed to post such questions in a different thread of the forum?

Thank you so much in advance.

Please write to the admissions office. They will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '20, ISB '19 (I)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 12:56
Are most of the invites sent over the next two weeks? Very little activity so far!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 13:11
mk10071986 wrote:
Are most of the invites sent over the next two weeks? Very little activity so far!
My theory is the Adcom runs through the entire application for the round and start sending invites on a second read through. This way, they get to build the diversity they want in the class....Diversity not based on race, age or work experience... but diversity in the contribution your experience and aspiration brings to the class.

Makes sense that the bulk of the invites will be from tomorrow.

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '20, ISB '19 (I)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 13:39
Thefort: Thank You! Just wanted to say 'well done' for the 800 on GMAT :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 14:10
mk10071986 wrote:
Thefort: Thank You! Just wanted to say 'well done' for the 800 on GMAT :)

Thank you. You're far too kind.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 10:41
Thefort wrote:
mk10071986 wrote:
My theory is the Adcom runs through the entire application for the round and start sending invites on a second read through. This way, they get to build the diversity they want in the class....Diversity not based on race, age or work experience... but diversity in the contribution your experience and aspiration brings to the class.

Specifically 11/1? Or do you just mean generally in Nov?

Agree it has been pretty quiet on here.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 10:50
jz818 wrote:
Thefort wrote:
mk10071986 wrote:

Specifically 11/1? Or do you just mean generally in Nov?

Agree it has been pretty quiet on here.

Might also be that people are less prone to report this year? looks like they have historically (2016) been sending invites fairly evenly across the period, but this year there have been fewer reports.
EDIT: Clarification, this is GSB only
Attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 30.41 KiB | Viewed 2752 times ]

Last edited by KLANO on 01 Nov 2017, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 10:54
mk10071986 wrote:

Might also be that people are less prone to report this year? looks like they have historically (2016) been sending invites fairly evenly across the period, but this year there have been fewer reports.

Very interesting graph. I felt that there were a ton of people reporting yesterday immediate after the Wharton emails came out. Curious to see how that compares to last year's reporting rate as well (assuming your graph is just for GSB, not across all schools).

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 16:28
Got an interview invite last Friday and confirmed my location on the application website. Haven't heard anything this week. Does anyone know how long it takes for someone to reach out to you to schedule the interview?

Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2017, 16:28

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  15    Next  [ 294 posts ] 

Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: ydmuley, mvictor

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap