Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 13:07 It is currently 28 May 2024, 13:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1125 [34]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
Schools: ISB '19
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [2]
Given Kudos: 275
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis [#permalink]
Kudos
Even I chose B. Could anyone please explain why C is the answer?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis [#permalink]
IMO B
Hi I think the answer is B .
We are not concerned whether the toxins can be separated from the residual waste.We want to utilise it effeciently.
B states that three fifths of waste that means we can produce energy as there will be more supply .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Schools: ISB '19
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis [#permalink]
Kudos
The point is that biodegradabe materials are mixed with toxic wastes in the residual waste. Hayfied plans to convert biodegradabe material into energy but whether it is possible to do so depends on whether the toxic wastes will cause a problem in conversion process. If we can successfully distinguish between the two, I guess the plan will be a success.

The amount of biodegradabe material present in the residual woudn't matter if we coudn't separate biodegradabe material from toxins.
Besides, the argument isn't taking about the amount of energy generated but rather the feasibility of the process. Hence B doesn't fit here

Hope it helps

Originally posted by bunny12345 on 01 Oct 2017, 06:41.
Last edited by bunny12345 on 01 Oct 2017, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [1]
Given Kudos: 275
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis [#permalink]
Kudos
Okay I got it.

This is a step by step process.
1. The process of collection of Residual waste( Mixture of Bio Deg waste + Toxic waste).
2.Than Hay-field wants to convert this Bio Deg waste to energy.

This is only possible if the mixture can be separated.i.e If we will be able to distinguish between the Biodegradable waste and the Toxic waste.

Please correct me if I am missing something.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
IMO D
Because residual waste contains
both biodegradable and toxic waste. If waste to energy technology also converts toxins to energy then this method will be most efficient. Hence D will strengthen the argument.

Sent from my MI MAX using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [2]
Given Kudos: 310
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revise disposal methods for residual waste, which is waste from households that contains recyclable materials that have not yet been processed separately. Residual waste typically contains a mixture of biodegradable materials as well as hazardous toxins. Hayfield plans to use the latest waste-to-energy technology to convert the biodegradable materials from residual waste into energy, thereby making the most efficient use of such waste products.

Which of the following most strengthens the given plan?

A) The quantity of residual waste generated by the city is greater than that of any other kind of waste.

B) Biodegradable materials consist of over three-fifths of the total annual amount of residual waste in Hayfield.

C) Toxins found in waste products are not indistinguishable from non-toxic materials.

D) The latest waste-to-energy technology can also be used to recycle discarded materials other than residual waste.

E) The amount of waste generated by Hayfield’s industrial regions is among the highest anywhere in the country.

Hi...

The answer has to be C if you are given both the choices B and C...

What does the para say..
Lot of residual waste ...
Residual waste consists of biodegradable and hazardous toxics.
Waste to energy means biodegradable to energy..

Now let's see what each statement tells..
B) biodegradable consists of over 3/5 of total..
Yes it will give us more 'waste to energy' and would be close 2nd choice.
But efficient use of waste product does not necessarily mean efficiency of the machine.
So if we take it as only 1/5th of total, does it mean the plan is not working....NO

C) Toxins are not indistinguishable from biodegradable.
Yes, it tells us that plan will work.
Say it is not true, the plan will fall flat..

So C
Own Kudos [?]: 1977 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revise disposal methods for residual waste, which is waste from households that contains recyclable materials that have not yet been processed separately. Residual waste typically contains a mixture of biodegradable materials as well as hazardous toxins. Hayfield plans to use the latest waste-to-energy technology to convert the biodegradable materials from residual waste into energy, thereby making the most efficient use of such waste products.

A) The quantity of residual waste generated by the city is greater than that of any other kind of waste. -Doesn't matter. Even if small amount of waste can generate energy that can be used elsewhere, then the plan is a success.

B) Biodegradable materials consist of over three-fifths of the total annual amount of residual waste in Hayfield. -Same as A

C) Toxins found in waste products are not indistinguishable from non-toxic materials. -Correct. If the toxins are not distinguishable then the plan will be a failure.

D) The latest waste-to-energy technology can also be used to recycle discarded materials other than residual waste. -This is just stating an alternate purpose of the plan.

E) The amount of waste generated by Hayfield’s industrial regions is among the highest anywhere in the country. -Out of scope
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Interesting question.
As one can see, a CR question requires active reading and concentration.
A and E are out of scope.
B seems an additional evidence, but the argument is about more efficient method.
C fills the gap and directly connects with the argument.
I thought of D but I changed my mind. "other than residual waste." is not good
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 480 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
(C)

one reason to eliminate B.
Even though there is 3/5th of biodegradeable waste, what if such waste is indistinguishable from other hazardous toxin waste? Then how is the plan going to be efficient?

Answer (C) fills this gap and strengthens
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
How do we know if the toxins must be distinguished for the tech to work? This is an assumption. On the other hand, if most of the residual waste is biodegradable, we know the plan will work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: Duke '22 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Other)
Send PM
This is a horrible non gmat question. One could easily argue that D allows for the process of waste to be more efficient because the adapted technology can be used elsewhere on other types of waste. Thus making the process more efficient. Can maybe make a halfway case for B as well

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
bkpolymers1617 wrote:

A) The quantity of residual waste generated by the city is greater than that of any other kind of waste.

B) Biodegradable materials consist of over three-fifths of the total annual amount of residual waste in Hayfield.

C) Toxins found in waste products are not indistinguishable from non-toxic materials.

D) The latest waste-to-energy technology can also be used to recycle discarded materials other than residual waste.

E) The amount of waste generated by Hayfield’s industrial regions is among the highest anywhere in the country.

Hi egmat bkpolymers1617 GMATNinja
I feel the wording in the question is incorrect, because of which many people are getting confused.
In the last line of the paragraph, it says "thereby making the most efficient use of such waste products"
Now, in the beginning of the passage several times "Residual waste" is being mentioned and "biodegradable materials" is mentioned.
So, when the last line says "such waste products", i think of "Residual waste".
If the last line stated "such materials" then i would have understood "biodegradable materials".
So, as per my reasoning, the most efficient use of "Residual waste" is when "biodegradable materials" is in large proportion in it.
so that is why i selected B as my answer.

Is my reasoning correct ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 853 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6951 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
827 posts