It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 22:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:33) correct 61% (01:46) wrong based on 94 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revise disposal methods for residual waste, which is waste from households that contains recyclable materials that have not yet been processed separately. Residual waste typically contains a mixture of biodegradable materials as well as hazardous toxins. Hayfield plans to use the latest waste-to-energy technology to convert the biodegradable materials from residual waste into energy, thereby making the most efficient use of such waste products.

Which of the following most strengthens the given plan?

A) The quantity of residual waste generated by the city is greater than that of any other kind of waste.

B) Biodegradable materials consist of over three-fifths of the total annual amount of residual waste in Hayfield.

C) Toxins found in waste products are not indistinguishable from non-toxic materials.

D) The latest waste-to-energy technology can also be used to recycle discarded materials other than residual waste.

E) The amount of waste generated by Hayfield’s industrial regions is among the highest anywhere in the country.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 33

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 9

GPA: 2.75
CAT Tests
Re: To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
Plan: efficient use of biodegradable waste products.
We have to strengthen this plan.

If it is proven that toxic wastes can be separated from non toxic ones then our plan of efficient use of residual waste will be successful.

C exactly points out that they can be separated. Hence our plan will work.

Posted from my mobile device

+1 Kudos if my post helps in any way :)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Re: To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 05:05
Is n't the option B the better choice?
If 3/5ths of the residual waste generated is bio-degradable and the new waste-to-energy technology will be helpful in converting the biodegradable materials, then doesn't the option B sound better?
Experts please help

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 186

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
GPA: 3
To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 06:08
Even I chose B. Could anyone please explain why C is the answer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 541

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 06:19
IMO B
Hi I think the answer is B .
We are not concerned whether the toxins can be separated from the residual waste.We want to utilise it effeciently.
B states that three fifths of waste that means we can produce energy as there will be more supply .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 541

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

GPA: 2.75
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
The point is that biodegradabe materials are mixed with toxic wastes in the residual waste. Hayfied plans to convert biodegradabe material into energy but whether it is possible to do so depends on whether the toxic wastes will cause a problem in conversion process. If we can successfully distinguish between the two, I guess the plan will be a success.

The amount of biodegradabe material present in the residual woudn't matter if we coudn't separate biodegradabe material from toxins.
Besides, the argument isn't taking about the amount of energy generated but rather the feasibility of the process. Hence B doesn't fit here

Hope it helps

+1 Kudos if my post helps in any way :)

Last edited by bunny12345 on 01 Oct 2017, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 06:44
Okay I got it.

This is a step by step process.
1. The process of collection of Residual waste( Mixture of Bio Deg waste + Toxic waste).
2.Than Hay-field wants to convert this Bio Deg waste to energy.

This is only possible if the mixture can be separated.i.e If we will be able to distinguish between the Biodegradable waste and the Toxic waste.

Please correct me if I am missing something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V32

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 06:48
IMO D
Because residual waste contains
both biodegradable and toxic waste. If waste to energy technology also converts toxins to energy then this method will be most efficient. Hence D will strengthen the argument.

Sent from my MI MAX using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5869 [0], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 08:44
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revise disposal methods for residual waste, which is waste from households that contains recyclable materials that have not yet been processed separately. Residual waste typically contains a mixture of biodegradable materials as well as hazardous toxins. Hayfield plans to use the latest waste-to-energy technology to convert the biodegradable materials from residual waste into energy, thereby making the most efficient use of such waste products.

Which of the following most strengthens the given plan?

A) The quantity of residual waste generated by the city is greater than that of any other kind of waste.

B) Biodegradable materials consist of over three-fifths of the total annual amount of residual waste in Hayfield.

C) Toxins found in waste products are not indistinguishable from non-toxic materials.

D) The latest waste-to-energy technology can also be used to recycle discarded materials other than residual waste.

E) The amount of waste generated by Hayfield’s industrial regions is among the highest anywhere in the country.

Hi...

The answer has to be C if you are given both the choices B and C...

What does the para say..
Lot of residual waste ...
Residual waste consists of biodegradable and hazardous toxics.
Waste to energy means biodegradable to energy..

Now let's see what each statement tells..
B) biodegradable consists of over 3/5 of total..
Yes it will give us more 'waste to energy' and would be close 2nd choice.
But efficient use of waste product does not necessarily mean efficiency of the machine.
So if we take it as only 1/5th of total, does it mean the plan is not working....NO

C) Toxins are not indistinguishable from biodegradable.
Yes, it tells us that plan will work.
Say it is not true, the plan will fall flat..

So C

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5869 [0], given: 118

Re: To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 08:44

To process waste more efficiently, the city of Hayfield plans to revis

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap