Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:36 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
@vidram1, what's ur GMAT score?

Sent from my moto x4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship? [#permalink]
Any thoughts on Olin (full ride) vs. Cornell (partial, on the lower end %) vs. Ross (waitlist).
Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting scholarship at Ross if admitted off the waitlist?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bk2018 wrote:
Any thoughts on Olin (full ride) vs. Cornell (partial, on the lower end %) vs. Ross (waitlist).
Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting scholarship at Ross if admitted off the waitlist?

Full ride - congrats!
What's your GMAT score?

Sent from my moto x4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bk2018 wrote:

Congrats on your admit!
Olin has been generous to GMAT Club members this year.

If you are a US Applicant, I would do more soul searching and employer analysis. For international applicants, I would pick the safety of the scholarship.

US. Res ranks these as #16 and #21. That’s 5 spots apart and a big scholarship is too big to ignore in this case. At the same time, schools are pretty different, class-size, employer recruiting, Ivy League Cornell - those add up and something you can resolve at admit weekend or by talking to current students.

As to scholarship with waitlist. That’s depends. It is unlikely to happen for a US Applicant. International applicants who are unlikely to have funds (and thus would choose not to attend if admitted) have been known to receive scholarships after a waitlist.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
bb wrote:
bk2018 wrote:

Congrats on your admit!
Olin has been generous to GMAT Club members this year.

If you are a US Applicant, I would do more soul searching and employer analysis. For international applicants, I would pick the safety of the scholarship.

US. Res ranks these as #16 and #21. That’s 5 spots apart and a big scholarship is too big to ignore in this case. At the same time, schools are pretty different, class-size, employer recruiting, Ivy League Cornell - those add up and something you can resolve at admit weekend or by talking to current students.

As to scholarship with waitlist. That’s depends. It is unlikely to happen for a US Applicant. International applicants who are unlikely to have funds (and thus would choose not to attend if admitted) have been known to receive scholarships after a waitlist.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you! I am international, from a developing country, which is why the scholarship weighs so heavily. I'm kind of leaning towards Olin as I had a great experience when I visited, but sometimes I have doubts as Cornell is an Ivy with a name that many people know and respect. Probably not worth the 100+K :?
In terms of employment... I don't see a really significant difference and I heard from current students that only a handful of people go to MBB from each school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks for your input, it's really helpful.

Do you have any comments on the same topic but only for European universities, and finding a job post-gradution for an international student?

Thanks!! :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
Send PM
Absolutely agree with the OP.

Most people I know in top 10 business schools got what they wanted if they set their sights on it to begin with. This excludes:
(1) People who focused exclusively on investment banking or management consulting recruiting between August & December, flamed out without a single offer in January, and decided to pivot last minute and
(2) People who had an extremely narrow range of desired firms/functions but lacked the necessary prerequisite experience (someone without entrepreneurial/IB/corp fin background gunning for PE/VC).

Not saying people from these categories don't succeed - I'm in group (2) and I came away with a number of offers I'm extremely happy with - but most of the people who didn't come away with a job they wanted in the US were from one of these two categories.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent post and I had a somewhat similar dilemma with choosing between UNC and Rice. I got a very generous scholarship from Rice and decided to go there despite the offer from UNC. In terms of location , it's a no match as there are only a few locations which could Trump downtown Houston. Secondly, with my background I felt as if I was a much better fit at Rice. Lastly, when I closely observed rankings I observed Jones constantly climbing up the ladder. It's 45 on Financial Times list of best MBA across the world, 22nd on US News and within top 10 in Business week ranking so surely the difference isn't a whole lot. Given the current scenario with immigration and the uncertainty which comes with it, i decided to go ahead with Jones and bb seems to have alluded the same thing in his post too. Though he focused exclusively on top 10 MBA programs but I do feel as if this post is very relevant for say a top 20 MBA vs top 40 MBA with scholarship.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts