Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [6]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
How to review RCs? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey KB04 and mrinal0308 ,

Here are a few tips:

Whenever you review any question, try to understand:

1. Did you reject any answer choice for the right reasons?
2. Did you really understand that part of the passage, infact the entire passage, well?
3. What made you think a wrong answer choice was right?
4. Was the issue related to terminology or understanding?
5. Did you spend more time on right answers? If yes, you need to understand why did that happen.
6. Did you spend more time on wrong answers and still couldn't make it?

Finally, don't try to review the explanations first. If you are getting a question wrong under timed conditions, try to read the passage again and get to the right answer. Force yourself to get a very clear understanding of the passage.

All the best :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM
Re: How to review RCs? [#permalink]
Thank you so much, abhimahna and jennpt, for taking the time out and helping us with the query.

These are some fantastic points to review questions based on RCs and I am sure these will help other students, too.

I am certainly going to incorporate them in my RC regime and if I have questions, will post them here.

Thank you again!

KB

abhimahna, read your debrief a couple of time bro. It is really fascinating to see your verbal score improvement. Best of luck as you are soon going to embark an important journey.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
jennpt wrote:
Hi KB04 and mrinal0308,

abhimahna has made some great suggestions. Here's what I would add:

Your goals in RC practice:
1) Learn how GMAT asks questions
2) Learn what differentiates a correct RC answer from an incorrect one and how GMAT has arrived at that correct answer
3) Identify potential weaknesses with specific content types (scientific, for example) so you can do outside reading in that area

For any type of RC question other than a Main Idea, you should be able to point to a specific part of the passage that provides the evidence for your answer choice. When practicing, you might try writing a short note to yourself about where you found the evidence (say, line 20).
Then, when you review, even if you had the correct answer, check to see if the OG references the same evidence you used. If not - why? Why didn't you choose the same evidence they did? How can you change your approach to look for that type of evidence in the future?

(Note: I don't recommend noting the line number of evidence during an actual exam, but it can be good during practice to help you analyze where you are going wrong, AND to build your discipline that the answers to all RC questions except Main Idea MUST be based on evidence.)

For Main Idea questions, you might have specific evidence in a thesis sentence, but not always, so don't expect that there will be one specific piece of evidence to point to. Sometimes the correct answers in RC, especially on Main Idea questions, are unsatisfying. Many candidates eliminate a correct Main Idea answer because it seemed too vague or general, and instead choose something that sounds more specific. However, there was something about that specificity that made their answer choice wrong. Is this happening for you?

You mention that you are using an Error Log, which is great, but only as good as the data you put into it. Try to be as analytical as possible about exactly why you chose certain answers, and what was wrong with that reasoning or technique.

Let me know if this helps!

Best, Jennifer

Hi jennpt

Very nice post. Could you please share some tips of how time should be spend on the initial read? How much and what all needs to be comprehended during the initial read?

Any tips on doing RC's quickly would also be helpful.
Thank you for this nice tips!
jennpt wrote:
Hi KB04 and mrinal0308,

abhimahna has made some great suggestions. Here's what I would add:

Your goals in RC practice:
1) Learn how GMAT asks questions
2) Learn what differentiates a correct RC answer from an incorrect one and how GMAT has arrived at that correct answer
3) Identify potential weaknesses with specific content types (scientific, for example) so you can do outside reading in that area

For any type of RC question other than a Main Idea, you should be able to point to a specific part of the passage that provides the evidence for your answer choice. When practicing, you might try writing a short note to yourself about where you found the evidence (say, line 20).
Then, when you review, even if you had the correct answer, check to see if the OG references the same evidence you used. If not - why? Why didn't you choose the same evidence they did? How can you change your approach to look for that type of evidence in the future?

(Note: I don't recommend noting the line number of evidence during an actual exam, but it can be good during practice to help you analyze where you are going wrong, AND to build your discipline that the answers to all RC questions except Main Idea MUST be based on evidence.)

For Main Idea questions, you might have specific evidence in a thesis sentence, but not always, so don't expect that there will be one specific piece of evidence to point to. Sometimes the correct answers in RC, especially on Main Idea questions, are unsatisfying. Many candidates eliminate a correct Main Idea answer because it seemed too vague or general, and instead choose something that sounds more specific. However, there was something about that specificity that made their answer choice wrong. Is this happening for you?

You mention that you are using an Error Log, which is great, but only as good as the data you put into it. Try to be as analytical as possible about exactly why you chose certain answers, and what was wrong with that reasoning or technique.

Let me know if this helps!

Best, Jennifer
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts