Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections [#permalink]
Meaning is important here.
Although Alice published many things, it's the third novel which brought success.

C is the correct answer.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize

(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize

(C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize

(D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim

(E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Re: Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections [#permalink]
kinjiGC wrote:
Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

Meaning of the sentence : Although AW published a number of essays, poetry collections and stories. Her third novel, published in 1982, bought her widest acclaim. The claim made her win both the National Book and Pulitzer Prize

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
Three issues:
1) "which was" is redundant. The sentence can have "published in 1982" which can work as a modifier.
2) "in that it" -> we require a cause and effect relationship. "in that" provides a reason and this can work better with "Verbing or participle modifier" to show cause and effect
3) Both X AND Y -> is a idiom . "As well as" doesn't go with Both

VeritasKarishma, Skywalker18, daagh

Need your help.

I don't think there's any thing wrong in point 1 and 2 as stated above and the only error option 'A' has is the usage of idiom 'Both X and Y'.
'In that' can very well give the reason of how the book won AW the widest acclaim, by winning the prizes. Also, 'which was' is not redundant but I agree that removing it does not cause any issues.

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Thanks
Saurabh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
Saurabh wrote

I don't think there's any thing wrong in point 1 and 2 as stated above and the only error option 'A' has is the 'In that' can very well give the reason of how the book won AW the widest acclaim, by winning the prizes.
Also, 'which was' is not redundant but I agree that removing it does not cause any issues.

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Suarabh,

I may not subscribe to your comfort and solace you draw from the otherwise correct status of point 1 and 2. The choice is anyway incorrect because of the third factor. SC's focus is not academic sagacity but effective communication.

No one would want to lose precious seconds in the hall on choices that one knows are wrong for sure.

To be honest to your query, I would nip this mindset in the bud.

Please bear with me, if my words are slightly pricking and bitter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Answer options A and E will be eliminated because the expression both A as well as B is non-idiomatic.

The main verb is missing in the second clause in option C.

Everything is okay in option C. We can see the right use of the participle modifier here. This is the correct option.

In option D, we can see the problem of parallelism. ‘And’ is not connecting a similar entity here.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This is a question that appeared on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread -- and I figured that I'd post it here too, just in case it helps somebody out there:

Mizar18 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

In this question, I got why (C) is the correct answer, but can you clarify why (D) is wrong? I would like to understand more about "which" usage:

Question:

Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize

(C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize

(D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim

(E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim

Sure! Take another look at the relevant portion of (D):

"The Color Purple, which was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim..."

Notice that we have two clauses modifying "The Color Purple": 1) which was published in 1982 and 2) which brought her the widest acclaim. But there's no main verb for the "Color Purple" itself! (It's confusing because a long VERB-ing modifier comes in between the second "which" and "brought." This is intentional. The GMAT can be mean.) :twisted:

Because this part of the sentence lacks a main verb, it's a sentence fragment. And that's a huge problem, because now the sentence doesn't have an independent clause at all. So (D) is very wrong.

I hope that helps!
LithiumIon wrote:

2016 GMAT Official Guide, Question 13

Hi my honorable expert RonPurewal, MartyTargetTestPrep, jennpt, AjiteshArun, ccooley, DmitryFarber, GMATNinja, egmat, generis
I'm very very confused with the use of 'modifier' in this question. I think, the use of COMMA before ''which'' is not OK. Or, we can correct this SC by using the underline up to COMMA (the 'comma' before 'which')!

Explanation for the above statement:
Here, the official correct choice (C) is:
Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.

Here, the "The Color Purple" is a modifier, so we can easily remove this part from the main sentence. If we take out the modifier (The Color Purple) with 2 COMMAs (the bold COMMAs) from the main part of the sentence we can get the bellow one.

Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.
In the above ^^ sentence, the use of COMMA (bold comma, which has been used after the word '1982' is NOT OK anymore-because, we CAN'T use a COMMA in the middle of 'subject' and 'verb' of a sentence! I mean: we can't write a sentence like "Mr. Asad, brought a glass of coffee for Mr. X"
The official sentence IS something like the above one after removing the modifier part published in 1982 (e.g., her third novel, brought her the widest acclaim.)
So, the official correct choice CAN'T be a correct answer anymore to me. I'm requesting my honorable experts to give their insight here. Your help will be appreciated.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
LithiumIon wrote:

2016 GMAT Official Guide, Question 13

Hi my honorable expert RonPurewal, MartyTargetTestPrep, jennpt, AjiteshArun, ccooley, DmitryFarber, GMATNinja, egmat, generis
I'm very very confused with the use of 'modifier' in this question. I think, the use of COMMA before ''which'' is not OK. Or, we can correct this SC by using the underline up to COMMA (the 'comma' before 'which')!

Explanation for the above statement:
Here, the official correct choice (C) is:
Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.

Here, the "The Color Purple" is a modifier, so we can easily remove this part from the main sentence. If we take out the modifier (The Color Purple) with 2 COMMAs (the bold COMMAs) from the main part of the sentence we can get the bellow one.

Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.
In the above ^^ sentence, the use of COMMA (bold comma, which has been used after the word '1982' is NOT OK anymore-because, we CAN'T use a COMMA in the middle of 'subject' and 'verb' of a sentence! I mean: we can't write a sentence like "Mr. Asad, brought a glass of coffee for Mr. X"
The official sentence IS something like the above one after removing the modifier part published in 1982 (e.g., her third novel, brought her the widest acclaim.)
So, the official correct choice CAN'T be a correct answer anymore to me. I'm requesting my honorable experts to give their insight here. Your help will be appreciated.

The comma after "The Color Purple" serves two purposes: 1) it separates "The Color Purple", which clarifies what, exactly "her third novel" is; AND 2) it separates the "published..." modifier.

Just because you remove "The Color Purple" does not mean you can remove both of those commas! That second comma is serving two roles, so we'd have to leave it in: ".. her third novel..., published in 1982, brought her..."

If we remove the "published..." modifier, THEN we can get rid of the remaining two commas that separate it from the rest of the sentence: "... her third novel brought her..."

So (C) is totally fine. :)

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
Send PM
Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections [#permalink]

--> INCORRECT: Both X and Y ...not...Both X as well as Y

(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize -->INCORRECT: There is no Verb to accompany the noun : The Colour Purple.

-->CORRECT: This sentence clearly tells us that The Colour Purple brought Alice the widest acclaim and how(winning both NBA and PPr).

-->INCORRECT: Does which refer to The Colour Purple was published ...and The Colour purple which?? Surely the second clause does not make sense

--> INCORRECT: Same issue as (A), incorrect usage of idiom Both. It also nonsensically implies that as this book was published, simultaneously the winning of blah blah and bringing of blah blah took place. Clearly nonsensical.

Hence (C) is CORRECT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

We've had some great discussion on this already, but let's see if we can break down HOW to answer this question in the quickest and easiest way we can! Before we dive in, here is the original question with the main differences between each option highlighted in orange:

After taking a quick glance over the options, a few key differences stand out:

1. which was published / was published / published
2. and / as well as
3. brought / bringing

The best place to start is anything that will knock out either 2 or 3 answers right away, so let's work our way backwards on our list and start with #3: brought vs. bringing. This is clearly an issue with verbs, so let's determine which one is the best to use here.

To begin, we need to find the subject and verb. Here is the original sentence:

If we cross out all of the modifiers (and there are a few), we're left with this:

Once you take out the modifiers, which are mainly there to confuse readers, it's clear that the subject of the sentence is "The Color Purple." And what did The Color Purple do? It brought Alice Walker acclaim! Let's look over each option more carefully to figure out which ones use the right verb to match the subject. I'll still cross out any modifiers to help you see things more clearly.

(A) The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize --> OK
(B) The Color Purple, published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize --> WRONG
("The Color Purple bringing" isn't the right verb.)
(C) The Color Purple, published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize --> OK
(D) The Color Purple, was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim --> WRONG
(While this does use the correct verb "brought," it also tries to add another verb "was published" inside a modifier, which is a big no-no because it creates a comma splice! So, let's rule this one out too.)
(E) The Color Purple, was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim --> WRONG
(This one is wrong because it uses the incorrect "bringing" and it has a comma splice before "was published.")

We can eliminate options B, D, & E because they use the wrong verbs or have comma splices. Now that we're left with only 2 options to choose from, let's tackle #2 on our list: as well as vs. and.

Whenever we see the word "both" joining two objects, those two objects MUST be joined by the word and:

Both X and Y = CORRECT
Both X as well as Y = WRONG

There you go - option C is the correct choice because it uses the correct verb "brought" and uses the idiom "both X and Y" correctly!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

EMPOWERgmatVerbal please explain how comma splice is created in option d and e
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatthor wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

We've had some great discussion on this already, but let's see if we can break down HOW to answer this question in the quickest and easiest way we can! Before we dive in, here is the original question with the main differences between each option highlighted in orange:

After taking a quick glance over the options, a few key differences stand out:

1. which was published / was published / published
2. and / as well as
3. brought / bringing

The best place to start is anything that will knock out either 2 or 3 answers right away, so let's work our way backwards on our list and start with #3: brought vs. bringing. This is clearly an issue with verbs, so let's determine which one is the best to use here.

To begin, we need to find the subject and verb. Here is the original sentence:

If we cross out all of the modifiers (and there are a few), we're left with this:

Once you take out the modifiers, which are mainly there to confuse readers, it's clear that the subject of the sentence is "The Color Purple." And what did The Color Purple do? It brought Alice Walker acclaim! Let's look over each option more carefully to figure out which ones use the right verb to match the subject. I'll still cross out any modifiers to help you see things more clearly.

(A) The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize --> OK
(B) The Color Purple, published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize --> WRONG
("The Color Purple bringing" isn't the right verb.)
(C) The Color Purple, published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize --> OK
(D) The Color Purple, was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim --> WRONG
(While this does use the correct verb "brought," it also tries to add another verb "was published" inside a modifier, which is a big no-no because it creates a comma splice! So, let's rule this one out too.)
(E) The Color Purple, was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim --> WRONG
(This one is wrong because it uses the incorrect "bringing" and it has a comma splice before "was published.")

We can eliminate options B, D, & E because they use the wrong verbs or have comma splices. Now that we're left with only 2 options to choose from, let's tackle #2 on our list: as well as vs. and.

Whenever we see the word "both" joining two objects, those two objects MUST be joined by the word and:

Both X and Y = CORRECT
Both X as well as Y = WRONG

There you go - option C is the correct choice because it uses the correct verb "brought" and uses the idiom "both X and Y" correctly!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

EMPOWERgmatVerbal please explain how comma splice is created in option d and e

Thanks for your question gmatthor!

The comma splice occurs when the subject (The Color Purple) and the verb (was published) are separated by a comma. It's not correct in English to put a comma in between the two, so we eliminate options D & E.

We hope that helps clear that up! If you have any other questions, feel free to tag us at EMPOWERgmatVerbal and we'll take a look for you! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Idiomatically:
Both X and Y
is the correct construction.
None of the options except C have this.
C is the answer
Hope this helps!
:D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Hi all! Can someone please clarify why just the "which" in "which was published in 1982" is incorrect? I realize this may be a very basic answer, but are you not supposed to use "which" in modifiers? Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
GMATNinja, How could we know whether winning modifies the book or Alice?
Many thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Shibo731 wrote:
I don’t understand in choice C, why winning modify the book. Comma+doing should modify the entire preceding clause?

Posted from my mobile device

Many thanks!!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
G99 wrote:
Shibo731 wrote:
I don’t understand in choice C, why winning modify the book. Comma+doing should modify the entire preceding clause?

Posted from my mobile device

Many thanks!!

Take another look at the main clause with the non-essential modifiers stripped out:

The Color Purple brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.

Remember that when we get an "-ing" modifier following a comma and a full clause, that "-ing" will often modify the entire previous clause. In this case "winning the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize" is giving context for why The Color Purple brought Alice Walker her widest claim. So while it's true that it was the book that won the awards -- Alice Walker herself doesn't appear in the main clause -- it's more accurate to say that "winning" describes the full clause.

Perhaps more importantly, it would be perfectly logical to write that an author won an award or that a book won an award. So if you find yourself trying to figure out what a modifier is describing -- but either interpretation seems fine -- you'll want to use other decision points to eliminate wrong answer choices.

I hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections [#permalink]
A. which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
(1) This makes it sound like “the widest acclaim” and “both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize” are two distinct things with no relation (in that = this is true in this way); (2) idiom error: “both…as well as…” needs to be “both…and…”

B. published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
(1) Not a complete sentence. No action verb;

C. published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
Bingo. It shows the transition perfectly – (Alice published a bunch of stuff – presumably, this stuff didn’t lead her to wide acclaim) her published third novel, on the other hand, brought her the widest acclaim; acclaim that brought about winning an award and prize.

D. was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim
(1) revered order – should be the widest acclaim brought her the award/prize. (2) The reverse results in a different meaning – it sounds like the “Color Purple” won the award and the prize, not Alice

E. was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim
(1) This makes it sound like “the widest acclaim” and “both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize” are two distinct things with no relation – but logically, the acclaim would come first and then all these great awards (because of that acclaim); (2) moreover, the meaning completely changes – “her third novel…was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award and bringing her the widest acclaim.” Shows that the mere act of publishing = winning awards and gaining acclaim; presumably, you would have wide acclaim -> then awards; (3) idiom error: “both…as well as…” needs to be “both…and…”
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize - 'which was published in 1982' is correctly used. The problem with this choice is use of pronoun 'it' with multiple possible antecedents such as 'novel' and 'wildest acclaim'. Logically, we know 'it' should refer to the novel - Her third novel won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize. But this choice doesn't convey this point - Reject

(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize - Missing main verb. Reject

(C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize - Perfectly fine before 'comma winning'. What does 'winning' refer back to? - The subject, third novel, of the preceding main clause. It now makes perfect sense. Bingo!

(D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim - Changes the meaning by suggesting that 'Although Alice Walker published X, her third novel was published in 1982'. Also, this choice follows the structure - (active construction, passive construction), which results in an illogical construction.

(E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim - Same error as D
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts