Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Pronounsx                                             
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shivamidolboy1 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,
In option (c), "Unlike those of the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, most parts of Sri Lanka's rains"

"those of" can refer to most parts of Sri Lanka's rain, right?
Putting it back in the sentence and we get "Unlike most parts of Sri Lanka's rains of the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, most parts of Sri Lanka's rains"

And this does not make sense and therefore we reject it. Basically, those of can refer to the entire noun modifier? Instead of just the first noun it encounters?

Interesting question! I think it's fair to say that when we see "those of" in the context of a comparison, we're talking about two different entities. Consider a simplified version of the usage:

Unlike Tim's groceries, those of Dana contain items other than Twinkies and Nutella.

Not the world's most elegant sentence, but it seems to compare Tim's groceries to the groceries of Dana, rather than, say, comparing Tim's groceries to Tim's groceries of Dana. In other words, "those" is a clue that we're going to reference someone else's groceries, so I wouldn't say this usage is wrong.

However, the answer choice you've referenced contains a much more conspicuous error. Even if we argue that "those" simply refers to "parts of," the comparison seems to be between "parts of the United States" and "parts of Sri Lanka's rains." What could that possibly mean? Comparing the Rocky Mountains to a fragment of some raindrops in Sri Lanka? That would be illogical, to say the least.

So we don't have to worry about whether "those" is correct in isolation. There's no way to interpret this sentence in a way that makes sense, so it's out.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: LBS '23
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V34 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or [#permalink]
Kudos
finding this difficult please help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
riyaagarwal wrote:
finding this difficult please help

Hi riyaagarwal,

Have you gone through this post?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
Send PM
Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or [#permalink]
Hi,
GMATNinja daagh

If the answer choice C looked like "Unlike those of the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, Sri Lanka's rains ~," would it be considered a right comparison form?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Recon wrote:
Hi,
GMATNinja daagh

If the answer choice C looked like "Unlike those of the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, Sri Lanka's rains ~," would it be considered a right comparison form?

It's obviously okay to modify "United States" with a "where" clause. And it's okay to say, "Unlike those of the United States, Sri Lanka's rains..."

You might argue that your example is a bit confusing, because at first glance it's not clear whether the "where" clause is meant to modify "those" or "United States." Luckily, it's not an official answer choice, so we don't have to worry about whether it's "wrong" or "right." As long as you understand why (E) is the best choice out of the five available options, you've done your job.

I hope that helps a bit!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Recon wrote:

Does this look ok to you?

Unlike rains of the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain....
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Quote:
If choice C is as below, would it be correct?
Unlike those of the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, Sri Lanka's rains

AR15J, yes, that would be okay because it compares Sri Lanka's rains to those of the United States. Thanks for catching the mistake with the original post!

GMATNinjaTwo
I think, the highlighted part is not perfect at all because 'Sri Lanka does not possess rains-the rains are not the property of Sri Lanka'! Could you share how does 'Sri Lanka's rains' make sense?
I'm a bit confused here in this case!
Thanks in advance..
GMATNinja wrote:
Recon wrote:
Hi,
GMATNinja daagh

It's obviously okay to modify "United States" with a "where" clause. And it's okay to say, "Unlike those of the United States, Sri Lanka's rains..."

You might argue that your example is a bit confusing, because at first glance it's not clear whether the "where" clause is meant to modify "those" or "United States." Luckily, it's not an official answer choice, so we don't have to worry about whether it's "wrong" or "right." As long as you understand why (E) is the best choice out of the five available options, you've done your job.

I hope that helps a bit!

GMATNinja
Hello sir,
I don't know how does Sri Lanka's rains make sense? Sri Lanka's rains means Sri Lanka possess the rains! Is it possible in real life, sir?
I am expecting your cordial response.
Quote:
Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long , the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka are concentrated in the monsoon months, June to September, and the skies are generally clear for the rest of the year.

(A) Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka

(E) In the United States, farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, but in most parts of Sri Lanka the rains

F) In the Unlike United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, but in most parts of Sri Lanka the rains
Request Expert Reply:
Hi honorable experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, VeritasPrepHailey, BrightOutlookJenn,
I'm in dilemma with the use of 'where' in the modifier part in choice F (modified version). Can you share your thought for choice F?
Thanks in advance.
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Quote:
Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long , the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka are concentrated in the monsoon months, June to September, and the skies are generally clear for the rest of the year.

(A) Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka

(E) In the United States, farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, but in most parts of Sri Lanka the rains

F) In the Unlike United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, but in most parts of Sri Lanka the rains
Request Expert Reply:
Hi honorable experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, VeritasPrepHailey, BrightOutlookJenn,
I'm in dilemma with the use of 'where' in the modifier part in choice F (modified version). Can you share your thought for choice F?
Thanks in advance.

I'm eagerly expecting feedback from my honorable experts! Appreciating your help, experts.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

(A) Unlike the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka X

(B) Unlike the United States farmers who can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka X

(C) Unlike those of the United States, where farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, most parts of Sri Lanka's rains X

(D) In comparison with the United States, whose farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka X

(E) In the United States, farmers can usually depend on rain or snow all year long, but in most parts of Sri Lanka the rains CORRECT
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Comparsion Rule 1: Comparison must be apple to apple

(A) the United States compared with the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka - wrong
(B) The United States farmers compared with the rains in most parts of Sri Lanka - wrong
(C) Unlike those of the United States compated with parts of Sri Lanka's rains - wrong
(D) the United States compared with the rains - wrong
(E) In the United States Compared with In most parts of Sri Lanka - Correct comparison
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts