Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Denied
27 Jan, 2020
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Denied
27 Jan, 2020
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)! [#permalink]
I think I just shot myself in the foot. I just remembered that the GRE score report pdf that I submitted to Columbia lists 3 other schools (H/S/W). What do you guys think?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q31 V41
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)! [#permalink]
EverythingNice wrote:
I think I just shot myself in the foot. I just remembered that the GRE score report pdf that I submitted to Columbia lists 3 other schools (H/S/W). What do you guys think?

Why would your score report list other schools? I can see ETS providing that information to you, the applicant, when you pull up your own information, but I have a hard time believing that when an adcom logs into the portal to verify your scores, they can see the other schools you sent your scores to. What section shows this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q161 V170
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
ayasofaya wrote:
EverythingNice wrote:

Why would your score report list other schools? I can see ETS providing that information to you, the applicant, when you pull up your own information, but I have a hard time believing that when an adcom logs into the portal to verify your scores, they can see the other schools you sent your scores to. What section shows this?

The unofficial report lists the schools you sent it to the day you took it on the second page. I left it on for Columbia because if they do look at it it's clear that Columbia's my #1. Cut it down to one page for those other schools, though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
colnlrunner wrote:
ayasofaya wrote:
EverythingNice wrote:

The unofficial report lists the schools you sent it to the day you took it on the second page. I left it on for Columbia because if they do look at it it's clear that Columbia's my #1. Cut it down to one page for those other schools, though.

Oooooh so it is the one that you accessed for yourself, then uploaded into the application. I would say it depends. CBS may be listed first but that could be ABC order or something, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I think more likely they would match your other schools with the goals in your application and make their own hypotheses about which school you'd be likely to choose. Did you attend a lot of events and speak to a lot of people? Does your app itself make it clear CBS is your top?

Also take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, this is just conjecture based on conversations on this and other forums. I'm not an expert here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Welp! It's over for me. You can catch me in other forums. Good luck everyone. (While Columbia is my top choice, I'm sure the score report will ruin my application and make them question my intent.)

Originally posted by EverythingNice on 27 Jan 2020, 12:17.
Last edited by EverythingNice on 27 Jan 2020, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I think some people either only include the first page of the unofficial report PDF or they upload everything. I doubt the school cares.

The only thing that might be a red flag is if it’s clear you edited out cancelled scores or past attempts.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
EverythingNice wrote:
Welp! It's over for me. You can catch me in other forums. Good luck everyone. (While Columbia is my top choice, I'm sure the score report will ruin my application and make them question my intent.)

What’s the alternative? Only include page 1 of the PDF?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes. I just checked and I cannot remove the previous pdf. Honestly, it's my fault and I clearly didn't use good judgment, knowing that so many schools want to protect their yield.

Blazethrough14 wrote:
EverythingNice wrote:

What’s the alternative? Only include page 1 of the PDF?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
EverythingNice wrote:

It's not over. Come back! Sit back down. My rule is: If you haven't gotten a rejection letter you're not rejected.

My point was that the score report thing probably isn't as indicative of interest as your actual application. I say the same thing when people say that applying after December or whatever is a kiss of death because it's telling them they are your second choice. There's no one data point that's going to kill your chances so significantly, and if there was, it wouldn't be that. If anything your essays would more than other parts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Schools: Duke '22 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Anecdotally, I will tell you I did the same with a top 10 school and it was fine. I got accepted. Obviously its not an apples to apples comparison (M7 vs top 10) but its a signal. Note this was for GMAT as well. Most schools obviously understand that you will be applying to other schools, in fact this shows that you have the foresight to not put all of your eggs in one basket. Frankly, they may be more worried if you were only applying to one school.

What can be a red flag is having 4 M7 schools and 1 top 20 school on your report and sending the full score report to the top 20 with that list. Obviously this is not your case. You'll be fine.

EverythingNice wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
ricyan11 wrote:
Anecdotally, I will tell you I did the same with a top 10 school and it was fine. I got accepted. Obviously its not an apples to apples comparison (M7 vs top 10) but its a signal. Note this was for GMAT as well. Most schools obviously understand that you will be applying to other schools, in fact this shows that you have the foresight to not put all of your eggs in one basket. Frankly, they may be more worried if you were only applying to one school.

What can be a red flag is having 4 M7 schools and 1 top 20 school on your report and sending the full score report to the top 20 with that list. Obviously this is not your case. You'll be fine.

EverythingNice wrote:

What message do you think it sends if you only send the first page of the score report? Not showing which other schools received the report?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Schools: Duke '22 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
No clue. It's what I did for the remaining schools I applied to. So we'll see. But as others have mentioned I don't think the inclusion or exclusion of the list of schools you are sending your scores too is going to substantially move the needle in terms of your candidacy.

Blazethrough14 wrote:
ricyan11 wrote:

EverythingNice wrote:

What message do you think it sends if you only send the first page of the score report? Not showing which other schools received the report?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q40 V44
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.84
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry for the delay. I didn't receive a notification that I had a response. My GMAT is very well below the mean, combined with my demographics and a relatively unknown undergrad institution... and applying late in the cycle does not help either. Hopefully I will get a shot at one of the remaining 6.

Blazethrough14 wrote:
Why’d you think it was a long shot? Stats wise, you look competitive.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q40 V44
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Mid-December. Maybe 13th or 14th.

ILMENF wrote:
computanti wrote:
Knew it was a long shot.
Denied on: 2020/01/09
GMAT: 700, Q43, V42
WE: 85 months
Heard back via: Portal_update

computanti

Sorry to hear! When did you submitt?

Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
computanti wrote:
Mid-December. Maybe 13th or 14th.

ILMENF wrote:
computanti wrote:
Knew it was a long shot.
Denied on: 2020/01/09
GMAT: 700, Q43, V42
WE: 85 months
Heard back via: Portal_update

computanti

Sorry to hear! When did you submitt?

Try not to be discouraged. I hope you also applied to other schools in addition to CBS, but if not there is always next year. If you can bring up your GMAT score and apply with stronger strategic positioning and show some career growth, you may have a shot. One upshot is that the CBS re-app essay portion of the application consists of only one 500 word question which basically is along the lines of "what has changed since last year / how are you a stronger candidate?" If you have a good growth story for the interim time between your applications, you may have a better shot next go around.

Unlike college, lots of people apply to MBA programs over 2 admissions cycles, and if you aren't "too old" (e.g., over 28-29, the age at which additional age is inversely correlated with acceptance), it's totally fine to wait a year. Are you sure you can't get your score up a little bit? A 710 or 720 would be better for your candidacy and may only be the difference in a couple of right answers. Take the exam seriously this summer and you could be applying with a higher score for R1. If you are open to J-term, that is also an option that might maximize acceptance for CBS, specifically. If talking to an admissions consultant about a CBS reapplication (in particular, enhanced strategic positioning) might be helpful to you, feel free to reach out for a free consultation here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Does anyone know when CBS notifies of merit-based scholarships? I was recently accepted via phone but don't see anything on the portal. Does that mean I am not offered one or do they come later?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
CBS DECISION TRACKER

Updates for the last hour:

• Denied, 32 minutes ago, from United States, GMAT:710 (Q48 V39), GPA: 3.56, heard via: email
  • Denied, 48 minutes ago, from United States, GPA: 3.24, heard via: email

UPDATE YOUR STATUS
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts