GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 2940
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 10:11
oddwhile wrote:
Does anyone know when CBS notifies of merit-based scholarships? I was recently accepted via phone but don't see anything on the portal. Does that mean I am not offered one or do they come later?


oddwhile

Try posting the same question in the following topic. It is a topic for all the CBS admits.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-for- ... 91-20.html
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Nov 2019
Posts: 11
Location: United States (NJ)
Schools: CBS '22
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 10:39
Generally speaking, are there any spots left after March for CBS full-time 2020 MBA? For someone with an unconventional background and very strong references, would it still be feasible? I need to boost my GMAT score to have it within an acceptable range so that is why the waiting. Thanks, T
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2020
Posts: 8
Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 11:44
I just got rejected, absolutely devastated. I am not sure what more I could have done.

I took the EA just for Columbia, and got 166.
UG & Master's from top UK universities (one in the world), GPAs roughly convert to 3.7 and 4
3-4 years experience in International Development, including as a diplomat and worked in 6-8 countries.
I spent ages crafting the essays, even went to their London event, really heartbroken because I had given it my absolute all.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Sep 2019
Posts: 15
Location: United States (GA)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q31 V41
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.45
Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 12:01
AjaxFan wrote:
I just got rejected, absolutely devastated. I am not sure what more I could have done.

I took the EA just for Columbia, and got 166.
UG & Master's from top of the top UK universities (one in the world), GPAs roughly convert to 3.7 and 4
3-4 years experience in International Development, including as a diplomat and worked in 6-8 countries.
I spent ages crafting the essays, even went to their London event, really heartbroken because I had given it my absolute all.


I'm starting to wonder who on earth CBS already has in their class that they're pushing all of these amazing people to other schools. Even on ClearAdmit, there are a lot of 730-750+ GMATS with high GPAs being dinged without even an interview. Even people with interesting backgrounds and diversity points to go with their high stats are getting dinged.

I have medium stats and was hoping my interesting background and wild-but-strangely-fitting path to MBA would make up for it, but this is starting to feel less likely every day.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2020
Posts: 8
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 13:15
@
ayasofaya wrote:
AjaxFan wrote:
I just got rejected, absolutely devastated. I am not sure what more I could have done.

I took the EA just for Columbia, and got 166.
UG & Master's from top of the top UK universities (one in the world), GPAs roughly convert to 3.7 and 4
3-4 years experience in International Development, including as a diplomat and worked in 6-8 countries.
I spent ages crafting the essays, even went to their London event, really heartbroken because I had given it my absolute all.


I'm starting to wonder who on earth CBS already has in their class that they're pushing all of these amazing people to other schools. Even on ClearAdmit, there are a lot of 730-750+ GMATS with high GPAs being dinged without even an interview. Even people with interesting backgrounds and diversity points to go with their high stats are getting dinged.

I have medium stats and was hoping my interesting background and wild-but-strangely-fitting path to MBA would make up for it, but this is starting to feel less likely every day.


Hey friend,

I would say my GMAT is comparatively weak, so Columbia was one of my big hopes. I reckon they have filled their seats on rolling admissions, and are looking for people who are ticking off certain quotas now!

Unfortunately, I clearly didn't meet the criteria.

Best of luck!

I hope I get into one of my other 4!
Admissionado
User avatar
D
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 6657
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 17:29
AjaxFan wrote:
@
ayasofaya wrote:
AjaxFan wrote:
I just got rejected, absolutely devastated. I am not sure what more I could have done.

I took the EA just for Columbia, and got 166.
UG & Master's from top of the top UK universities (one in the world), GPAs roughly convert to 3.7 and 4
3-4 years experience in International Development, including as a diplomat and worked in 6-8 countries.
I spent ages crafting the essays, even went to their London event, really heartbroken because I had given it my absolute all.


I'm starting to wonder who on earth CBS already has in their class that they're pushing all of these amazing people to other schools. Even on ClearAdmit, there are a lot of 730-750+ GMATS with high GPAs being dinged without even an interview. Even people with interesting backgrounds and diversity points to go with their high stats are getting dinged.

I have medium stats and was hoping my interesting background and wild-but-strangely-fitting path to MBA would make up for it, but this is starting to feel less likely every day.


Hey friend,

I would say my GMAT is comparatively weak, so Columbia was one of my big hopes. I reckon they have filled their seats on rolling admissions, and are looking for people who are ticking off certain quotas now!

Unfortunately, I clearly didn't meet the criteria.

Best of luck!

I hope I get into one of my other 4!


I'm so sorry for the heartbreaking news about Columbia. You are unfortunately in good company. Columbia has a very low acceptance rate. I'm wondering how old you are. (Given that you've already served as a diplomat, which likely confers more than the 4-5 years average work experience of CBS students when they enter the full-time MBA program). If you are older, strategic positioning is really important. If you'd like to apply next year, keep that in mind. The CBS re-app essay is pretty easy to complete relative to the first time around. It's basically just a 500 word essay that asks what has changed since your last app. My fingers are crossed for your other applications!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Sep 2018
Posts: 44
Schools: CBS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 19:11
Very sorry to learn about this disappointing news. But you can consider reapplying. What’s your GMAT? And perhaps consider apply much earlier next time. Good luck!!

AjaxFan wrote:
I just got rejected, absolutely devastated. I am not sure what more I could have done.

I took the EA just for Columbia, and got 166.
UG & Master's from top UK universities (one in the world), GPAs roughly convert to 3.7 and 4
3-4 years experience in International Development, including as a diplomat and worked in 6-8 countries.
I spent ages crafting the essays, even went to their London event, really heartbroken because I had given it my absolute all.


Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2020
Posts: 8
Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Jan 2020, 00:36
[/quote]

I'm so sorry for the heartbreaking news about Columbia. You are unfortunately in good company. Columbia has a very low acceptance rate. I'm wondering how old you are. (Given that you've already served as a diplomat, which likely confers more than the 4-5 years average work experience of CBS students when they enter the full-time MBA program). If you are older, strategic positioning is really important. If you'd like to apply next year, keep that in mind. The CBS re-app essay is pretty easy to complete relative to the first time around. It's basically just a 500 word essay that asks what has changed since your last app. My fingers are crossed for your other applications![/quote]

Thanks for the support.

I'm 26. I was the youngest one and only ethnic minority (when I joined at least) in the mission out of maybe 30 diplomats so I thought I had a lot going for me as a result.

I'm a bit perplexed because I'm really not sure what more I could have done professionally or academically.

To date, I have just over 3 years work experience in Government, where I've had 4 roles across foreign policy/development roles.

In addition, I've had 3 months Associate Consultant experience at an MBB equivalent firm that only does international development projects, there's only one firm of this kind doing development strategy consulting.


Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by AjaxFan on 29 Jan 2020, 21:16.
Last edited by AjaxFan on 30 Jan 2020, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2653
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 22:32
AjaxFan That's awful, I'm sure you are absolutely gutted. And the fact that you took the executive assessment tells me that you were pinning all of your hopes on Columbia , so even more so.

Questions I would have. Did you apply a bit too late for your particular ethnicity group when most of the seats were taken for people with that profile?

The next question would be did you rely on impact in your essays or more so prestige. A lot of applicants think prestige matters when it's really about delivering examples that show how you've made a business impact. So really offering examples of leadership teamwork and problem solving - and the metrics impacted by that should be in your resume.

And then the next question would be, what about your goals. Are your goals realistic for your background, are you recruitable? Are your goals clear, so that if you were to set foot in Columbia right now would you know how to leverage alumni to make it happen?

AjaxFan wrote:
I just got rejected, absolutely devastated. I am not sure what more I could have done.

I took the EA just for Columbia, and got 166.
UG & Master's from top UK universities (one in the world), GPAs roughly convert to 3.7 and 4
3-4 years experience in International Development, including as a diplomat and worked in 6-8 countries.
I spent ages crafting the essays, even went to their London event, really heartbroken because I had given it my absolute all.

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2020
Posts: 8
Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2020, 00:22
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
AjaxFan That's awful, I'm sure you are absolutely gutted. And the fact that you took the executive assessment tells me that you were pinning all of your hopes on Columbia , so even more so.

Questions I would have. Did you apply a bit too late for your particular ethnicity group when most of the seats were taken for people with that profile?

The next question would be did you rely on impact in your essays or more so prestige. A lot of applicants think prestige matters when it's really about delivering examples that show how you've made a business impact. So really offering examples of leadership teamwork and problem solving - and the metrics impacted by that should be in your resume.

And then the next question would be, what about your goals. Are your goals realistic for your background, are you recruitable? Are your goals clear, so that if you were to set foot in Columbia right now would you know how to leverage alumni to make it happen?

AjaxFan wrote:
I just got rejected, absolutely devastated. I am not sure what more I could have done.

I took the EA just for Columbia, and got 166.
UG & Master's from top UK universities (one in the world), GPAs roughly convert to 3.7 and 4
3-4 years experience in International Development, including as a diplomat and worked in 6-8 countries.
I spent ages crafting the essays, even went to their London event, really heartbroken because I had given it my absolute all.


I didn't actually.

The essay on a leader, I chose a journalist who also works in development and tried to use the qualities he showcases to demonstrate my own take on leadership.

My goal is to set-up an international development business, and to continue to help the poorest out of poverty. I said what I wanted to do and it involves two business strands but basically attempts to solve a particular problem in the space, which I've identified through my experiences.

The why Columbia; I talked about the Tamer Center and how it call help me towards this, including particular extracurriculars and how they contribute to my ability to better deliver the intended services, as well as picking out certain modules on the course and linking it back to the business.

I literally spent hours on every essay crafting them to be consistent with my passions, which has always been international development.

I think Columbia or not; other schools or not, my goal won't change. I don't think I'll reapply to Columbia in any case, I think I received bad advice along the way and I had taken the EA just for them and the score was such, it won't improve.

You're right that I may have applied too late on 1st January, but I had quite a big health problem in my life and I had only just moved back to Europe in July. I didn't think applying before the merit scholarships deadline would be too late, but seems like even that could be!

My resume has been structured how it would be for MBB; strong focus on numbers, action words to start every line. I would be happy to send it to you in a private email if you're interested.
Posted from my mobile device
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
avatar
B
Affiliations: Fortuna Admissions
Joined: 30 Jan 2020
Posts: 13
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2020, 04:52
oddwhile wrote:
Does anyone know when CBS notifies of merit-based scholarships? I was recently accepted via phone but don't see anything on the portal. Does that mean I am not offered one or do they come later?


Congrats! Welcome to the CBS community. You must be so thrilled! Scholarships can come later than the actual acceptance, so it may not mean anything if you did not receive funding yet. I believe last year a wave of scholarships came out around this time of year.
_________________
Karen Hamou
Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former gatekeepers from the world's top business schools
https://fortunaadmissions.com/
Karen.Hamou@fortunaadmissions.com

Connect with us! https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 60
GPA: 3.5
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2020, 13:36
Does Columbia do a mass update before Feb?

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 2940
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Multiple Decisions Reported  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2020, 14:30
CBS DECISION TRACKER

Updates for the last hour:

  • Invited to interview, 16 minutes ago, from United States, GMAT:700, GPA: 3.9, heard via: email
  • Denied, 34 minutes ago, from United States, GMAT:730 (Q47 V44), GPA: 3.4, Industry: Manufacturing, WE 60, heard via: portal_update
  • Denied, 34 minutes ago, from United States, GMAT:740 (Q49 V41), GPA: 3.57, Industry: Non-Profit and Government, WE 60, heard via: email

UPDATE YOUR STATUS
_________________
Denied
30 Jan, 2020
30 Jan 2020, 21:11
SudsMeister GMAT: 750, Q50, V42; WE: 48 months; India; via Email
Really disappointed. Can't fathom why. [#permalink]
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2020
Posts: 3
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 14:50
Has anyone who submitted on January 3rd received interview invites yet?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 14:53
FortunaKarenH wrote:
oddwhile wrote:
Does anyone know when CBS notifies of merit-based scholarships? I was recently accepted via phone but don't see anything on the portal. Does that mean I am not offered one or do they come later?


Congrats! Welcome to the CBS community. You must be so thrilled! Scholarships can come later than the actual acceptance, so it may not mean anything if you did not receive funding yet. I believe last year a wave of scholarships came out around this time of year.


A friend of mine (ED admit) got a call this week about merit aid
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
avatar
B
Affiliations: Fortuna Admissions
Joined: 30 Jan 2020
Posts: 13
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 15:23
sagefive wrote:
FortunaKarenH wrote:
oddwhile wrote:
Does anyone know when CBS notifies of merit-based scholarships? I was recently accepted via phone but don't see anything on the portal. Does that mean I am not offered one or do they come later?


Congrats! Welcome to the CBS community. You must be so thrilled! Scholarships can come later than the actual acceptance, so it may not mean anything if you did not receive funding yet. I believe last year a wave of scholarships came out around this time of year.


A friend of mine (ED admit) got a call this week about merit aid


One of my clients got the call yesterday, too, so I spoke a bit too soon!

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Karen Hamou
Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former gatekeepers from the world's top business schools
https://fortunaadmissions.com/
Karen.Hamou@fortunaadmissions.com

Connect with us! https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Oct 2019
Posts: 4
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.51
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2020, 16:18
nicolemor wrote:
Has anyone who submitted on January 3rd received interview invites yet?

According to ClearAdmit, a lot have.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.46
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)
CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2020, 17:59
They have issued a lot of rejections as well unfortunately... its a blood bath for CBS over on ClearAdmit

MBAThrow187565 wrote:
nicolemor wrote:
Has anyone who submitted on January 3rd received interview invites yet?

According to ClearAdmit, a lot have.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2020
Posts: 3
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2020, 22:54
Strange. I haven't received a rejection or acceptance, but I submitted on the January 3rd deadline, similar to applicants who have already received theirs. Does this imply that I am not getting an interview?
TheRealFT wrote:
They have issued a lot of rejections as well unfortunately... its a blood bath for CBS over on ClearAdmit

MBAThrow187565 wrote:
nicolemor wrote:
Has anyone who submitted on January 3rd received interview invites yet?

According to ClearAdmit, a lot have.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2020, 22:54

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20    Next  [ 396 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: jeometricals






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne