GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 16:11
Hi Admits, We are looking to do a short post-decision interview or talk on the application process in general, how it helped you grow as a person, any takeaways and advice for future applicants, and things you could have done better; something similar to this. Anyone would like to volunteer for this? If interested, Pls PM me.

PS:
1) It's your choice whether to do video or just audio interview.
2) You can choose to do interview under your real name or forum username; choice is yours.

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.75
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 09:10
Hi all admits, How many of you took in-person visits before your were admitted? Do you think that was an important variable in your admission to CBS? And to what extent would contact with the school (emails, online event attendance, phone calls, contact with alumni, etc.) be have been an acceptable substitute for in-person visits?

I was hoping to get out for a visit in November, but I had to push it because of work. And since I live out west in a mountainous area, a “short” trip to NYC is a bit intensive. I’ll probably have to submit my application before I can make a formal visit to CBS.

Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 10:51
Hey ns89, I did visit before applying and I feel it mostly helped me build a stronger application where I could talk about first-hand experience with current students, specific teachers I wanted to take courses with due to an experience shared to me by an alumn, and campus or the program itself! This is why I feel the trip is worth the visit, not because of some "check, he visited" on your application. As to how much "remote" contact is worth the same, I would say as much as you need to be able to do what I just said before, show your true interest in specifics of CBS.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '22 (A)

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 09:25
ns89 wrote:
Hi all admits, How many of you took in-person visits before your were admitted? Do you think that was an important variable in your admission to CBS? And to what extent would contact with the school (emails, online event attendance, phone calls, contact with alumni, etc.) be have been an acceptable substitute for in-person visits?

I was hoping to get out for a visit in November, but I had to push it because of work. And since I live out west in a mountainous area, a “short” trip to NYC is a bit intensive. I’ll probably have to submit my application before I can make a formal visit to CBS.

Thoughts?

Hey! I did visit the school and the city before applying to CBS. Apart from what diegocdlg mentioned, it helped me speak about fit and my enthusiasm for the school (especially as an ED applicant). My interviewer also specifically asked me this question. But, remote contact is highly advisable regardless of the visit. Mention these interactions in the essays.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.16

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 09:20
ns89 It is OK that you can't come visit! They understand that it can be too cumbersome for some applicants to visit campus. If you lived in NYC, it would be a different story as those individuals don't have an excuse. I'd say call in to as many virtual events as you can and DEFINITELY reach out to a student through the Hermes Society (https://apply.gsb.columbia.edu/portal/contact-students). It's really important for you to speak to current students or alumni, not just for your app but for you to understand what life is like at CBS in the words of someone with first-hand experience. I think reaching out directly to the admissions team and explaining your situation might help you also, as long as it's after reaching out to a student through Hermes - this is considered a relatively basic step in getting to know the school. There is a section on the app that asks you what events you've attended and who you've spoken to that's affiliated with the school. Your GMAT is really high so they'll want to admit you - just make it easy for them! Best of luck and hope to see you next year!
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.87

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 11:13
anyone hear back yet? Hoping to hear back this week
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '22 (S)
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 12:56
Haven't received anything yet. Hopefully soon! Best of luck everyone.
CBS School Moderator
S
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 13:27
Seems like another day of nothing... the wait continues everybody!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.21

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 13:35
It seems that they are going to send many interview invites in the same day.
If not, it has no sense they wait so long :(

Hope we have some news this week...

Posted from my mobile device
CBS School Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 12:59
Looking back at last year we had some invites reported around this time, but those people didnt report when they submitted. The most concrete data point we have is someone last year submitted on October 16th and got and invite on December 11th.

Unclear if the other invites heard significantly before that person or when they submitted. Sounds like we may be waiting until next week for many, but not beyond that.

Best of luck and fingers crossed
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '22 (II)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 10:20
wraider84 wrote:
Looking back at last year we had some invites reported around this time, but those people didnt report when they submitted. The most concrete data point we have is someone last year submitted on October 16th and got and invite on December 11th.

Unclear if the other invites heard significantly before that person or when they submitted. Sounds like we may be waiting until next week for many, but not beyond that.

Best of luck and fingers crossed

Helpful to know. Thank you for sharing this! I applied in early September so will report back if/when I hear. Crossing my fingers.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 10:32
Thank you! Please do, this is an exciting yet anxious wait. :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2019, 23:33
Hi

Is it too late to apply to CBS from India now. I was thinking of submitting my app tomorrow (10th December). Is it extremely late for an Indian applicant?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 00:07
sns2020 wrote:
Hi

Is it too late to apply to CBS from India now. I was thinking of submitting my app tomorrow (10th December). Is it extremely late for an Indian applicant?

Thanks

I was in a similar position last year and decided to wait for this cycle, mainly because I felt my application wasn't strong enough. If quality (and the app fee) are not an issue, there is no downside in applying now, although the odds are a bit against you due to CBS' rolling admissions process. Re-applicants are looked upon favourably by the school, so your chances in the next cycle should not be negatively affected.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 03:12
Good luck to all applicants
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.46

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 06:38
Will be anxiously refreshing gmatclub all day today at work

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.46

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 08:39
Received a ding this morning from the portal. Applied on September 25

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Multiple Decisions Reported  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 09:30
CBS DECISION TRACKER

Updates for the last hour:

• Denied, 14 minutes ago, from United States, GMAT:750, GPA: 3.6, Industry: Military & Defense, WE 60, heard via: portal_update
  • Denied, 53 minutes ago, from United States, GMAT:730 (Q48), GPA: 3.46, Industry: Real Estate, WE 48, heard via: email
  • Denied, 56 minutes ago, from United States, GMAT:700, heard via: portal_update

UPDATE YOUR STATUS

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 09:34
Well got denied, checked the portal, got an email update after the fact. I applied September 28th. Best of luck to all still left standing, this one stings. Will still do my best to provide info for this forum
Wharton Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 09:42
easterngod wrote:
Received a ding this morning from the portal. Applied on September 25

sorry to hear :(. At least you have Booth :). Got a great M7
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2019, 09:42

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16    Next  [ 311 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: jeometricals, Zakyfish22