Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Quant Study Strategy - Help Needed [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitsuga2020 wrote:
Hello guys, I'm trying to study for at least a 730 and my main weakness lies in the quant section (verbal in the 90% percentile).

I tend to get almost all of the easy questions right, but start making mistakes in the medium and hard ones.

I have been trying to pace myself on the medium ones and it has increased the % of mistakes made. Should I first focus on trying to reduce my mistakes and ignore time?

What has been the most effective way to improve your quant score? I'm studying with 2016's OG and previously read Manhattan's books.

Many thanks!

Hello, nitsuga2020. To answer your question, yes, stop focusing on the clock so much and work on building your core knowledge of the concepts. In every question, you should always make sure you understand two components:

1) What is the question asking, exactly?
2) What is the concept being tested?

Of course, a third and necessary component to answering a question is asking yourself what information you already have to get started. Going forward, you will want to whittle away at your timing per question to get your average time down to about 2 minutes per question, but without foundational knowledge, you will consistently flounder and probably resort to guessing.

So, to get better, you will need to address any deficiencies in your core knowledge. Online learning modules can be useful for this purpose, as they often force the user to approach each topic one by one, and such courses are relatively inexpensive compared to tutoring. You can check out the Marketplace for prices and reviews if that interests you. You can also shore up gaps in Quant theory by rereading certain parts of your Manhattan Prep guides, or by reading parts of The Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread by resident Expert Bunuel. Once your Quant foundation is solid, you will notice that your timing will start to go down on questions on its own. Then, you can work more on test-specific technique.

Good luck with your studies, however you go about them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. This is a community that would like to help you succeed.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Quant Study Strategy - Help Needed [#permalink]