Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [11]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 680 Q1 V1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Send PM
Re: Corona COVID-19 Impact on GMAT/MBA [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vyshak wrote:
Just got to know that Fuqua has deferred the session start date by a month from July 28th, 2020 to August 31st, 2020. I would be happy to see this trend pick up among the business schools if the current situation doesn't improve. Taking classes online across geographies doesn't work well in my opinion because of fundamental issues such as bandwidth, network and timezone.

Posted from my mobile device

Can you share a link please to the announcement by Fuqua?

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
PM'ed you bb. Looks like admitted students are receiving the communication via email.

bb wrote:

Can you share a link please to the announcement by Fuqua?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
I got rejections from almost all the B-Schools I was waitlisted in except Simon, I had to decline the Georgetown offer.

Corona has not supported my case either
This is the most unprecedented event of our lives.

My neighbour is quarantined
My state has the least number of cases in the developed states category but the worst part is none of the ones tested positive survived

100 new cases per day in India, and we still have not tested all the people that we have isolated. Chandigarh saw 500,000 immigrants vanish from the airport to dodge the quarantine situation.

India is still in the testing phase and we don't know how many new cases will emerge

If I am to apply an interpolation, Prime Minister launched a 3 month plan for poor people to prevent famine.
Now it only implies that the lock down in India is supposed to go up than stop. If the lock down extends, there will be no visa or international travel involved for at least next 9 months given that everything is pending.

What does remain is the fact that India is a large Business School feeder, especially for Canadian B-schools, where almost half the population is Indian. So if the Lock down extends, what impact will it have on the Business schools that see this tremendous decline in international applications. As far as I can see they extended the deadlines to accommodate more local students and fill the seats at least.

No one knows what will happen, these are desperate times. Stranger times lie ahead

The way I said it I believe that I should end it with
This is Moderator BusinessConquerer, giving you all the creeps
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Corona COVID-19 Impact on GMAT/MBA [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
workout wrote:
For those interested, we have a live chat session with Aringo on the topic "Coronavirus impact on MBA Admissions" scheduled for Monday 10 AM PDT

More details here https://gmatclub.com/forum/coronavirus- ... l#p2482597

The transcript of the above chat has been posted in the following link. There were a lot of interesting questions like

* Will business schools give less scholarship money because of the impact on endowment funds?
* Should we consider deferral or just not going on an MBA this year?
* Do you think that doing a term online is worth, keeping in mind that an MBA is so much about networking and personal interaction?
* Do you think R1/R2 will be more competitive this fall because of international students having to defer and taking up spots already?
* Do you think there will be more online programs next year? Since programs are forced to adopt digital learning for now. And would that be worth it strictly speaking in terms of ROI?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/coronavirus- ... l#p2485586
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Any international students having second thoughts about accepting b-school admission offer due to concern about travel/visa/covid-19? I don't know if I'm going to be able to make the move to Europe from U.S. and they want my decision in 3 hours. I asked for an extension on my decision and they refused. Any perspective/advice would be very helpful. My intended program starts end of September/early October.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
vantroosakker wrote:
Any international students having second thoughts about accepting b-school admission offer due to concern about travel/visa/covid-19? I don't know if I'm going to be able to make the move to Europe from U.S. and they want my decision in 3 hours. I asked for an extension on my decision and they refused. Any perspective/advice would be very helpful. My intended program starts end of September/early October.

Personally, I'm still going ahead with accepting my admission offer. I'm from Canada and am enrolling in a US school. Good luck making your decision.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think that’s a wise decision! There is a good chance next app year will be difficult and odd.

Congrats! What did you end up selecting as your choice?

s1lntz wrote:
vantroosakker wrote:

Personally, I'm still going ahead with accepting my admission offer. I'm from Canada and am enrolling in a US school. Good luck making your decision.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
bb wrote:
There is a good chance next app year will be difficult and odd.

bb

Please share more thoughts on this!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It is fairly simple thinking so let me know if I am missing something but if people are stuck on unemployment or getting laid off or their salaries are cut by 20%, they choose to change their lives for the better and go through the application process. The fewer prospects, the more people head for the MBA while the economy is bad and options are few.

Also if there are people who are deferred (international students), the number of spots may be reduced, driving up the competition.

Now, these are forward looking statements and I am not sure if this is exactly how it plays out but proactive folks probably have started planning already.

TheNightKing wrote:
bb wrote:

bb

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Booth '22 (M)
Send PM
bb wrote:
It is fairly simple thinking so let me know if I am missing something but if people are stuck on unemployment or getting laid off or their salaries are cut by 20%, they choose to change their lives for the better and go through the application process. The fewer prospects, the more people head for the MBA while the economy is bad and options are few.

Also if there are people who are deferred (international students), the number of spots may be reduced, driving up the competition.

Now, these are forward looking statements and I am not sure if this is exactly how it plays out but proactive folks probably have started planning already.

TheNightKing wrote:
bb wrote:

bb

I agree with your analysis. Next year’s application cycles will be very competitive... less so in a sense of better candidates, and more so with the volume of candidates and the number of seats up for grabs.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nothing compares with this year’s amazing candidates ;-)

I feel the caliber may go up in some weird way - it may be 2 camps of people (those who are trying to escape unemployment and not in a great position and also highly qualified group whose career trajectory is slowing down or who are testing the waters and having a plan “B”) thinking perhaps the average folks stay and work hanging on to their jobs...

However even with sheer volume, adcom will need to differentiate somehow and naturally things will get more competitive.

I feel there will be

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Hi, can someone guide on the way to check GMAT score(forgotten) before reinstating(since once reinstated, cannot be cancelled)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aggvipul wrote:
Hi, can someone guide on the way to check GMAT score(forgotten) before reinstating(since once reinstated, cannot be cancelled)

This is a silly thing about GMAC and canceling scores. I can’t believe they still hide it after canceling.

The only way to look it up is to order an ESR.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 861
Send PM
I have my GMAT exam on April 17th, is there a possibility it might get canceled then :( ? I want to take the exam in a testing center as it will be hard to take it at home as I don't live alone. Would testing possibly reopen in May/June?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Just tried to see when GMAT can be next taken in Shanghai, and the first available date shown is 5/30. Yikes.

Pretty drastic date change from original availability on 4/6 to all the way on 5/30. This is significantly disrupting my prep momentum unfortunately.
VP
VP
Send PM
chencchris wrote:
Just tried to see when GMAT can be next taken in Shanghai, and the first available date shown is 5/30. Yikes.

Pretty drastic date change from original availability on 4/6 to all the way on 5/30. This is significantly disrupting my prep momentum unfortunately.

chencchris

If you don't mind me asking:

Why?

You have a 740 already
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
TheNightKing

I won't lie, I have flirted with the idea of retaking it myself. That elusive Q50/51 is a big prize in itself.
VP
VP
Send PM
icanhazmba wrote:
TheNightKing

I won't lie, I have flirted with the idea of retaking it myself. That elusive Q50/51 is a big prize in itself.

I wish you all the best for that dream score!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7