Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr [#permalink]
Brian123 wrote:
BhaveshGMAT wrote:

I fail to understand why option C is incorrect. Is it because the quantities (of total fat) are compared instead of the percentages ? Also, what thoughts do you have on second part of comparison "more fat thought to be of a kind..." . Request your help on this one. :)

Hey it might help to take a much simpler example in your head while deciding between these 2 options. Consider this - I have more money than my brother vs I have more money than that of my brother. Here, the 2nd option is literally saying that "you" have more money than "your brother's money", which doesnt make sense. How can you have more money than money? I thought of this while deciding between these 2 so thought I'd share. The 2nd comparison doesn't seem bad to me.

"I have more money than my brother." Isn't it an incorrect comparison wherein money is compared with brother? Or may be the better way to communicate the intended meaning would be - " I have more money than my brother has."

Also quoting @daagh's explanation here:-

B looks apparently better than others, because, in gist, it maintains the comparison between wild animals and domestic animals, although it is also meaning to say that wild animals have less total fat than they have livestock, which is indeed absurd

C compares the total fat of these two kinds of animals rather than comparing the animals themselves.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
"I have more money than my brother." Isn't it an incorrect comparison wherein money is compared with brother?

Hi BhaveshGMAT, technically speaking, there are two ways to interpret the above sentence:

(i) I have more money than my brother (has).

(ii) I have more money than (I have) my brother.

Since interpretation (ii) is completely non-sensical, the only logical interpretation of the sentence I have more money than my brother is I have more money than my brother (has). Hence, the sentence I have more money than my brother is correct.

Bottom-line: When the the comparison does not have any ambiguity, GMAT may choose to not explicitly mention the verb (has in the above case) after than.

There are numerous such official examples. In the examples below, I have mentioned in bold, the implied verb.

In 1982 the median income for married-couple families with a wage-earning wife was $9,000 more than that for families in which only the husband was employed.

This is equivalent to:

In 1982 the median income for married-couple families with a wage-earning wife was $9,000 more than that (median income) (was) for families in which only the husband was employed.

Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

This is equivalent to:

Plants are more efficient than fungi (are) at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

Ranked as one of the most important of Europe's young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written 40 plays; his works—translated into more than 30 languages—are produced more often than those of any other contemporary German dramatist.

This is equivalent to:

Ranked as one of the most important of Europe's young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written 40 plays; his works—translated into more than 30 languages—are produced more often than those (works) of any other contemporary German dramatist (are produced).

Quote:
Or may be the better way to communicate the intended meaning would be - " I have more money than my brother has."

This would be completely fine as well.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Comparison ambiguity, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
"I have more money than my brother." Isn't it an incorrect comparison wherein money is compared with brother?

Hi BhaveshGMAT, technically speaking, there are two ways to interpret the above sentence:

(i) I have more money than my brother (has).

(ii) I have more money than (I have) my brother.

Since interpretation (ii) is completely non-sensical, the only logical interpretation of the sentence I have more money than my brother is I have more money than my brother (has). Hence, the sentence I have more money than my brother is correct.

Bottom-line: When the the comparison does not have any ambiguity, GMAT may choose to not explicitly mention the verb (has in the above case) after than.

There are numerous such official examples. In the examples below, I have mentioned in bold, the implied verb.

In 1982 the median income for married-couple families with a wage-earning wife was $9,000 more than that for families in which only the husband was employed.

This is equivalent to:

In 1982 the median income for married-couple families with a wage-earning wife was $9,000 more than that (median income) (was) for families in which only the husband was employed.

Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

This is equivalent to:

Plants are more efficient than fungi (are) at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

Ranked as one of the most important of Europe's young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written 40 plays; his works—translated into more than 30 languages—are produced more often than those of any other contemporary German dramatist.

This is equivalent to:

Ranked as one of the most important of Europe's young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written 40 plays; his works—translated into more than 30 languages—are produced more often than those (works) of any other contemporary German dramatist (are produced).

Quote:
Or may be the better way to communicate the intended meaning would be - " I have more money than my brother has."

This would be completely fine as well.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Comparison ambiguity, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks for the detailed post. I am stuck between option B and C. May I request you to throw some light on these two answer options and why is B the correct choice?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
Thanks for the detailed post. I am stuck between option B and C. May I request you to throw some light on these two answer options and why is B the correct choice?

Hi BhaveshGMAT, C states:

...wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain...

This is equivalent to:

...wild animals have less total fat than that (fat) of livestock fed on grain...

Since there is no verb explicitly mentioned after than, the verb (has) is implied. So, the above sentence is equivalent to:

...wild animals have less total fat than that (fat) of livestock fed on grain (has total fat)...

As is very evident, this does not make sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

There’s a lot of clunkiness here, but the biggest issue is the word “they”: the only possible referents are “wild animals”, “livestock”, or “studies.” And none of those are likely to “think [that fat] is good for cardiac health.” (E) is gone, and (B) is the best answer.

GMATNinja I have a rather basic question. Is Livestock singular or plural? How do we find out if Livestock mentioned in this question be considered as a singular or plural noun?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
I was looking for than after more

Can I read B sentence as:

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat and more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health than livestock fed on grain

please suggest AndrewN .

(A) wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

(B) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
I was looking for than after more

Can I read B sentence as:

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat and more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health than livestock fed on grain

please suggest AndrewN .

(A) wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

(B) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

Hello, imSKR. Remember, either less or more can be separated from than by one or several words, but the comparative elements must be present to draw, well, a comparison, and the more words that fall between, the harder the sentence will be to follow. That is why in the correct answer, than is close to less, and once that comparative relationship has been established, the more part is just an extension. Yes, your proposed reading of (B) works, but by delaying the reveal of what is being compared to what, the comparison (and, by extension, the sentence) is harder to follow. That is why (B) is better kept as is.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
coolavis wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

There’s a lot of clunkiness here, but the biggest issue is the word “they”: the only possible referents are “wild animals”, “livestock”, or “studies.” And none of those are likely to “think [that fat] is good for cardiac health.” (E) is gone, and (B) is the best answer.

GMATNinja I have a rather basic question. Is Livestock singular or plural? How do we find out if Livestock mentioned in this question be considered as a singular or plural noun?

Posted from my mobile device

The GMAT does like to test nouns that are a bit tricky to classify as singular or plural, but they'll usually throw in some hints that can point you in the right direction.

From a grammatical standpoint, "livestock" can either be singular or plural, depending on the context of the sentence. You would say that "the largest export of Transylvania IS livestock," but you would also say "the livestock in my yard ARE growing restless and will attack at any moment." In the first case, we're treating "livestock" as a singular, monolithic thing. In the second case, we're treating "livestock" as a bunch of (homicidal) individuals, and so use the plural form of the verb.

So, which one is used in this example?

The biggest hint is in the comparison, which is between the fat in wild animals and the fat of livestock. Because the first piece of the comparison is plural, it would make more sense to close out the comparison with another plural noun. From this, we can conclude that "livestock" is plural in this sentence.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
mikemcgarry GMATNinja
EducationAisle
VeritasKarishma

Would like to draw your attention to a similar post
Quote:
The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a return-on-investment ratio.

A) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a

B) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determines a

C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department when each group determined a different

D) department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department when each group determined a

E) department, taking into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department, so each group determined a
Hide Answer
D

The explanation for this to eliminate C - We can not compare set of Expenses to Marketing Dept

My confusion is why here can we not using the knowledge of previous question use

C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department(Took) when each group determined a different

Would request your help in this I am losing my mind over this
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64937 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shauryahanda wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinja
EducationAisle
VeritasKarishma

Quote:
The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a return-on-investment ratio.

A) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a

B) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determines a

C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department when each group determined a different

D) department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department when each group determined a

E) department, taking into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department, so each group determined a
Hide Answer
D

The explanation for this to eliminate C - We can not compare set of Expenses to Marketing Dept

My confusion is why here can we not using the knowledge of previous question use

C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department(Took) when each group determined a different

shauryahanda

A is taller than B.
A has more fat than B.
We are comparing characteristics of A and B. Fine. We can do without adding a placeholder verb. A and B are the ones who are taller/shorter and have less fat/more fat.

Tree A bears sweeter apples than tree B.
Are we comparing characteristics of tree A and tree B? No. We are comparing a characteristic of their apples. Then, using just 'tree B' does not make sense. It seems we are saying that tree A's apples are sweeter than tree B.

Look at the two sentences we are discussing:

... wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain...
Comparing a characteristic of wild animals and livestock.

... finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department...
Comparing a characteristic of the set of expenses. So this is not correct.

You should instead write:
... finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department ...

Also note that you need to take into account the other options available. In option (C), the use of "different" doesn't work. What the sentence wants to say is that they were calculating the same ratios but they gave different inputs. (C) implies that they were calculating different ratios.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Thank you VeritasKarishma and other moderators

I think i am clear with the concept now(after reading your explanations and i Really can't thank you enough for it)

In order to solidify my concept just help me with this

A has more cars than B -> A and B are getting compared -> and this is correct
A has sweeter apples than B's -> A's apples and B's apples compared -> and this is correct
A has sweeter apples than B -> A's apples and B compared -> and this is wrong

AM I Correct ?

VeritasKarishma wrote:
shauryahanda wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinja
EducationAisle
VeritasKarishma

Quote:

Hide Answer
D

shauryahanda

A is taller than B.
A has more fat than B.
We are comparing characteristics of A and B. Fine. We can do without adding a placeholder verb. A and B are the ones who are taller/shorter and have less fat/more fat.

Tree A bears sweeter apples than tree B.
Are we comparing characteristics of tree A and tree B? No. We are comparing a characteristic of their apples. Then, using just 'tree B' does not make sense. It seems we are saying that tree A's apples are sweeter than tree B.

Look at the two sentences we are discussing:

... wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain...
Comparing a characteristic of wild animals and livestock.

... finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department...
Comparing a characteristic of the set of expenses. So this is not correct.

You should instead write:
... finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department ...

Also note that you need to take into account the other options available. In option (C), the use of "different" doesn't work. What the sentence wants to say is that they were calculating the same ratios but they gave different inputs. (C) implies that they were calculating different ratios.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64937 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos