Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Re: Bombed my test 580 Q44 , V26 [#permalink]
Did you take the test at home or at a center?
What is the order of your sections
How different were the questions? What happened during the day

Regards,
HK
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi SAK,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not turn out better. Before I can offer you any advice for this next phase of your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Bombed my test 580 Q44 , V26 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi SAK,

I am sorry to know that your scores were not at par with your expectations. I see that you tagged us in this post. Did you use e-GMAT course for preparation? If yes, please reach out to us on support@e-gmat.com. One of our experts will do a deep-dive into your test day experience and preparation to create your re-attempt strategy.
If you did not use our course, but want to discuss your next attempt strategy you can reach out to us from here. We would need more information about your preparation and test-day experience to help you further.

In the meantime, you can read the stories of these students who improved from a sub-600 score to a 700+ score.

Regards,
Aditee
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SAK wrote:
Hi All,

Seeking advise for my next attempt.

Today after 6month of preparation, I bombed my test and scored 580 (Q44, V26). I don't know, why I panicked and messed up the Quant section,in which I have been scoring between 48-49.

Verbal has been my weak area which I have improved and was consistent with my prep where I scoring between 25-29.

Need your help to plan my prep for next attempt.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Hi SAK,

Sorry about how things went with your GMAT. You can definitely improve your score provided that you identify what went wrong in the previous attempt and work on your weak areas. Let me help you here.

The probable reason for scoring low:

I feel that you have focused more on learning the concepts and on practicing questions and missed out on the most important step in the process of preparation, which is learning the right methodology to solve questions. GMAT mainly tests your application skills along with the conceptual knowledge. So, only after you are done learning these two, you have to move on to practicing questions. If not, you will probably repeat the same mistakes and your score will more likely remain stagnant.

The path ahead:

• The first thing to do would be to identify your weak areas. Because without identifying the cause, there's no point moving forward.
  • Once you identify the topics in which you are weak, the next step is to identify if it's the concepts that you are struggling with the topic or the application part.
  • If your accuracy is below 50% in any topic, it means that you are probably struggling with the concept of that topic
  • If the accuracy is hovering between 50-80%, then it means that you are clear with the concept but are struggling with the methodology.

I think most of your struggle would be around the application part as your score suggests the same. So, the right thing would be to choose a resource which can help you to learn the right methodology and to work on your weak areas. The more you focus on the application part, the better your performance is going to be.

But before that, I would like to have a detailed discussion with you regarding your study strategy, your weak areas and the way you solve questions. This additional information will help me understand your concerns and guide you in a better way. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sak,

I'm sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. I'm happy to provide some advice, but would first like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions already asked, I can provide some advice. In the meantime, here are some helpful articles:

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?

How to Eliminate GMAT Test-Day Anxiety
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts