Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 14:59 It is currently 13 May 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65267 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65267 [1]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65267 [1]
Send PM
Re: Nearly all the workers of the Lowell textile mills of Massachusetts we [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Thanks for the kind response.
I've seen so many official RC where author did not put his/her own suggestion/opinion. S/he just wrote whole the passage with so many facts. In that time, I like to choose the word describe instead of suggest!
But, it seems that author is going to criticize with the following sentence.

Quote:
However, the ability of the women to demand changes was severely circumscribed by an inability to go for long without wages with which to support themselves and help support their families.

^^ The author is criticizing by the word however, I guess. Am I missing anything, mam?

The following sentence is also the negative tone of the passage, so the word criticize instead suggest makes sense to me.
Quote:
No specific reform can be directly attributed to the Lowell workers, but their legacy is unquestionable.

Even when the author gives just 'facts', they are all leading up to a conclusion. Think about why you would write an article on XYZ - because you want to tell people something about XYZ. The motive you have for writing (e.g. "I want to tell people that XYZ played a big role in ABC" or "I want to tell people that XYZ is expected to return good profits next year" etc) is the main purpose. Sometimes, it may be clearly mentioned in the passage, sometimes it may be something you need to infer.

Also, use of one or two words will not tell you the tone of the passage. The same words could be used in different contexts to mean different things. And again, use of one word in an option does not make it correct. The author does not criticize the proprietors of the Lowell mills for their labor practices. If anything, he thinks that conditions at Lowell were better than those at other mills and that it was ironic that the first dissatisfaction with working conditions was observed at Lowell Mills.

"...Compared to other factories of the time, the Lowell mills were clean and safe, and there was even a journal,.. Ironically, it was at the Lowell mills that dissatisfaction with working conditions brought about the first organization of working women."
Re: Nearly all the workers of the Lowell textile mills of Massachusetts we [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Thanks for the kind response.
I've seen so many official RC where author did not put his/her own suggestion/opinion. S/he just wrote whole the passage with so many facts. In that time, I like to choose the word describe instead of suggest!
But, it seems that author is going to criticize with the following sentence.

Quote:
However, the ability of the women to demand changes was severely circumscribed by an inability to go for long without wages with which to support themselves and help support their families.

^^ The author is criticizing by the word however, I guess. Am I missing anything, mam?

The following sentence is also the negative tone of the passage, so the word criticize instead suggest makes sense to me.
Quote:
No specific reform can be directly attributed to the Lowell workers, but their legacy is unquestionable.

Even when the author gives just 'facts', they are all leading up to a conclusion. Think about why you would write an article on XYZ - because you want to tell people something about XYZ. The motive you have for writing (e.g. "I want to tell people that XYZ played a big role in ABC" or "I want to tell people that XYZ is expected to return good profits next year" etc) is the main purpose. Sometimes, it may be clearly mentioned in the passage, sometimes it may be something you need to infer.

Also, use of one or two words will not tell you the tone of the passage. The same words could be used in different contexts to mean different things. And again, use of one word in an option does not make it correct. The author does not criticize the proprietors of the Lowell mills for their labor practices. If anything, he thinks that conditions at Lowell were better than those at other mills and that it was ironic that the first dissatisfaction with working conditions was observed at Lowell Mills.

"...Compared to other factories of the time, the Lowell mills were clean and safe, and there was even a journal,.. Ironically, it was at the Lowell mills that dissatisfaction with working conditions brought about the first organization of working women."

VeritasKarishma
So, from the highlighted part, it seems that author does not write any passage where there is no opinion of the author, right? But, I say few official RC where the author does not have any opinion. I mean, the author does not put his/her own CONCLUSION! What is your thought about those RC?
Thank you mam..
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65267 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
So, from the highlighted part, it seems that author does not write any passage where there is no opinion of the author, right? But, I say few official RC where the author does not have any opinion. I mean, the author does not put his/her own CONCLUSION! What is your thought about those RC?
Thank you mam..

When the author does not give his own opinion, his purpose may be to give you an overview of the situation or to describe an event etc. If he describes it completely objectively, the test will not ask you what he thinks about it. Though normally GMAT RC passages will not be so cut and dry.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14022 posts