Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Stratus Admissions Counseling
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pemathew wrote:
Hello, Please let me know the chances of FT MBA :

Indian - Male, Age 31, First Gen College

GMAT - 710 ( Q 49 , V 38, IR 5, AWA 5 ) - hoping to improve to 740+
Education - Bachelors in engineering from Tier 1 college in India ( NIT)
selected to job through on campus recruitment

Work Experience :
8 years in India in a Fortune 500 company
* Oil & Plant commissioning and project management
* Production Operations - managing a team of 10
* High Value Contract Management - 15mil $

Extra Curricular :
* Elected member of governing body of employees ( 1000+) & member of various policy advocacy groups
* Lead disaster relief teams
* Started professional society chapter at workplace
* Involvement in Corporate Social Responsibility
* High altitude trekking programs
* Student Governing body member in school

Target Schools M7 :
Essays being written - hope those are strong & connected essays

Post MBA Goals : To move into operations & later to leadership positions in Energy Companies
Weak Points:
No international experience, though multi cultural exposure in India & a GPA of 6.9/10 ( First Class)

Planning to apply in R1 this year

Hi pemathew - I'm happy to share my thoughts on your profile.

Overall you have some great things going for you, but as you know you come from a highly overrepresented demographic. At these schools, you will be competing with many other Indian males who have 760+ scores on their GMATs. It will definitely help you to get to 740 and help even more to get to 760+.

I like your work experience - especially that you are managing a team. Have you been promoted faster than your peers? Schools will want to see that you have performed better than your peers, so hopefully you can demonstrate that via promotions (and your LORs can also speak to this). Do you have specific achievements or impact you can demonstrate at work?

Your ECs look great. It seems many of them are still current and at least a few demonstrate leadership, which will definitely help you.

Your essays should really flesh out your short and long-term goals. What impact do you want to have in the world, and why? Although the M7 schools are all great, they are also very different from each other. Which schools would be best to help you reach your goals and why? Doing the research to figure that out may help you narrow down where to apply, and also will help you explain why each school to which you do apply is uniquely suited to help you reach your goals.

I hope this is helpful - if you would like to dive deeper into your profile, feel free to sign up for a free 30 minute consultation here. In any case, best of luck to you!

All my best,
Soterios
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi pemathew,

Thank you for sharing your profile. Your profile looks good on the surface. Starting with stats, your undergrad GPA is on the lower side, and if you improve your GMAT score (740+), it will compensate for a low GPA and maximize your chances. As you come from the most competitive pool, you must weave your stories carefully to stand out. On the work front, you have a good 8 years of work experience, which I feel can help you bring impactful narratives to the table. You have good 'leadership' experiences at work, and you will need to provide some anecdotes that speak to the 'impact' part. Aptly and convincingly describing your work experience will help you stand a decent chance at M7 schools.

Talking about your ECs, they exhibit your leadership abilities. You can speak about trekking, it will bring diversity to your apps.

Your post-MBA goals make sense, but attempt to expound on them. Adcoms want to know what your ambitions are and how an MBA can help you reach them. As a result, you must communicate yourself clearly in your essays and interviews.

Concerning your second weakness, international experience, even if you have not traveled outside your country, you may have global exposure that you are unaware of if you have engaged with international clients or worked in a multicultural environment. You’ll be able to write a compelling narrative.

Overall you seem to be ticking all the right boxes - provided you do good work on your essays and explain your career goals clearly, you should have no problem getting into an M7. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further chances to the b-schools. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

How to work on international experience, resume and LOR

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

pemathew wrote:
Hello, Please let me know the chances of FT MBA :

Indian - Male, Age 31, First Gen College

GMAT - 710 ( Q 49 , V 38, IR 5, AWA 5 ) - hoping to improve to 740+
Education - Bachelors in engineering from Tier 1 college in India ( NIT)
selected to job through on campus recruitment

Work Experience :
8 years in India in a Fortune 500 company
* Oil & Plant commissioning and project management
* Production Operations - managing a team of 10
* High Value Contract Management - 15mil $

Extra Curricular :
* Elected member of governing body of employees ( 1000+) & member of various policy advocacy groups
* Lead disaster relief teams
* Started professional society chapter at workplace
* Involvement in Corporate Social Responsibility
* High altitude trekking programs
* Student Governing body member in school

Target Schools M7 :
Essays being written - hope those are strong & connected essays

Post MBA Goals : To move into operations & later to leadership positions in Energy Companies
Weak Points:
No international experience, though multi cultural exposure in India & a GPA of 6.9/10 ( First Class)

Planning to apply in R1 this year
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there MBA2024,

If you successfully articulate your goals and write compelling essays, you should certainly have a shot at the T15 range and are a contender for the M7s as well. Of course, you will want to have a balance of “reach” schools, some “more likely” schools and some “safer” schools.

While your profile looks quite good on paper right now, personal story development will play a large role in your candidacy. This is a cornerstone of Personal MBA Coach's support and the area where we find our clients need the most guidance.

Feel free to reach out to scott@personalmbacoach.com to discuss your profile in more depth. We work with a lot of folks from private equity each year and would be happy to help set you up for success.

Best,
Personal MBA Coach

MBA2024 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Please let me know what you think of the profile below. I'm considering applying to schools in the top 15 range:

Demographics: 25 years old, Male, African American

Education:
Columbia University
GPA/Major: 3.5/Economics
ECs: Board member of large sustainability group on campus. Founded non-profit focused on supporting first-generation and low-income college students

GMAT: 720 (Q48, V41, IR7)

Work Experience
- Currently an associate on the private equity secondaries investment team of a large private equity manager (Blackstone/Carlyle/Ares/TPG)
- Came in as an analyst and was promoted
- Will have ~48 months of WE by matriculation

Leadership post graduation:
- have been involved in a mentorship program focused on providing guidance to minority students at my alma matter
- Part of the recruiting team at my firm
- started professional development initiative for junior professionals at my firm
- Unofficially have served as a mentor to the analysts on the team

Essays and Recs are a WIP.

Schools: As mentioned above, I'm looking to apply to schools in the T15 range, but am wondering if I have a shot at M7 schools.

Notes: I plan on applying during this application cycle, but would like to gather feedback on where I stand. I am open to deferring my application to next year if there are holes in my application that need to be tightened up.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MBA2024, I don't always post on this thread but I happened to notice your entry and while I know you've gotten advice from a lot of admissions consultants, I wanted to encourage you to check out the Consortium, which I don't think anyone else has mentioned. The Consortium is an amazing program that can provide full tuition scholarships at a lot of top MBA programs along with some very strong networking opportunities for candidates who have shown a commitment to diversity, which you clearly have. CBS is the only M7 school that's a part of it (announced this year, I don't even know if the page is updated yet on the Consortium's web site), but if you are planning to apply to any of the schools it works with anyway, I can't imagine why you wouldn't do it through the Consortium so you get considered for the full ride. It gets you a streamlined app and lower application fee and later deadline to apply that way, too, at least for the schools that are members. I would definitely recommend checking it out if you are looking at schools outside the M7 and/or are interested in a full ride (M7 financial packages can vary, and some like HBS/Stanford almost exclusively do need-based aid, while others might consider you for merit scholarships as well, but not necessarily always a full scholarship).

I think your profile is great for Harvard and the rest of the M7 too, mind you, but they all are fairly different. You don't mention your goals, but if you're looking to stay in PE, you probably have a pathway in mind. Do you want to stay in secondaries or move to more of a primary investing role? Would you go back to your current firm or not? I work with a lot of PE clients, and I know that not everyone gets the nuances of the different types of firms and roles and what programs are the best match.

Harvard is definitely a possibility for you, and my guess is that there the decision will come down to personal qualities, leadership and recs (along with how well you do in the interview). Wharton as well. In terms of which other programs might be best, it might depend on what you are looking to build/do and where, and in CBS's case, whether you'd go back for a second Columbia degree. As for WE, you're a little on the light side, esp. for HBS, which tends to prefer 5-6 years at matriculation for males who apply, but I think you could potentially do it this year with strong recs and leadership. If you want to chat more in depth about your personal situation, you can book a consultation through our website or PM me to set one up, but in general, I think you should give it a shot.

Good luck!

Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

MBA2024 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Please let me know what you think of the profile below. I'm considering applying to schools in the top 15 range:

Demographics: 25 years old, Male, African American

Education:
Columbia University
GPA/Major: 3.5/Economics
ECs: Board member of large sustainability group on campus. Founded non-profit focused on supporting first-generation and low-income college students

GMAT: 720 (Q48, V41, IR7)

Work Experience
- Currently an associate on the private equity secondaries investment team of a large private equity manager (Blackstone/Carlyle/Ares/TPG)
- Came in as an analyst and was promoted
- Will have ~48 months of WE by matriculation

Leadership post graduation:
- have been involved in a mentorship program focused on providing guidance to minority students at my alma matter
- Part of the recruiting team at my firm
- started professional development initiative for junior professionals at my firm
- Unofficially have served as a mentor to the analysts on the team

Essays and Recs are a WIP.

Schools: As mentioned above, I'm looking to apply to schools in the T15 range, but am wondering if I have a shot at M7 schools.

Notes: I plan on applying during this application cycle, but would like to gather feedback on where I stand. I am open to deferring my application to next year if there are holes in my application that need to be tightened up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Economics, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.29
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Would love a review of my profile.

Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Caucasian (American) 1st Generation College
Schools: Yale, Tuck, Booth, Wharton, Georgetown, Duke

GMAT
730: 49Q, 41V, 8IR, 6 AWA

Academics:
-BS in Finance, minor in Mathematics from a Private Jesuit University (NE US)
-3.3 Cumulative GPA, 3.4 in Major, 3.5 in minor
-Dean’s list Junior Year
-75% Scholarship (Academic)
-Orientation and Freshman Mentor Leader
oSpeaker at 2014 & 2015 Freshman Orientation
-Founder of Wounded Warrior Club, President of Food Drive
-Study abroad in Italy

Work Experience:
-4 Years in Technology Consulting Company – Privately Held 10,000+ employees
-Focused in Business Development – selling services related to Data Analytics, Agile & Cloud Transformation.
-Promoted 4X – Now leading a national sales team of 6 focused within Financial Services (clients including AMEX, Mastercard, etc.)
-Helped build a fraud analytics program that has saved client $25MM to date – recognizing patterns in Fraud Rings and fake applications for credit cards.
-Previously led our team supporting an Ivy League University, growing annual revenues from $2MM to $10MM+ over a two-year stretch.
-Lead my office Employee Resource Group (ERG) focused on Community Engagement
-Part of Hiring Committee for my office group

Extra Curriculars:
-Volunteer for local organization focused on Education enablement and College Prep for first-generation students currently in high school. Mentoring them and doing mock interview/resume workshops
-Started charity for Veteran Suicide awareness – raising $10k+ for a local Vets’ home in my hometown.
-Taught myself guitar
-4 handicap golfer

Goals:
-Short term: Work in consulting – ideally working my way into the Public Sector Practice
-Long Term: Lead the area of the Obama/Gates/Clinton Foundation focused on economic enablement in lower income areas through education. Creating Public/Private partnerships that educate for jobs that will exist for next 20 years rather than the past 40. (Tech, Analytics, Clean Energy, etc.).

The low GPA was due to my sophomore and senior years at school - my father is in the military and was deployed and I spent a lot of time commuting back and forth from school to my hometown to help my mom with my younger brother and the house in general. I had a tough time managing everything and ended up with a 3.0 average those two years compared to a 3.6 in my Junior & Freshman years.
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ZS24,

Overall, your work experience and extracurriculars look strong. It's great that you are focusing on results and transferrable skills in the context of your work experience. These bits of information will be useful when fine-tuning your MBA resume. Your extracurriculars show real impact and value as well.

As for your low GPA, this can be explained in the optional essay section. We often advise candidates to remain brief and to the point here. Do not offer long-winded excuses or any more information than is needed.

Taking additional coursework (particularly quant courses or those related to your future field) can be a great way to boost your profile. Keeping that in mind, think about your post-MBA goals and what type of course would best complement these aspirations, since it is important that all components of your application fit together to tell a consistent story.

Personal MBA Coach works with applicants who have low GPAs and get into top programs by acing the GMAT and putting together strong applications.

Take a look at our services and feel free to reach out to scott@personalmbacoach.com if you are looking for guidance! We regularly help folks get into all of the b-schools on your target list each year.

Best,
Personal MBA Coach

ZS24 wrote:

GMAT

Academics:
-Dean’s list Junior Year
-Study abroad in Italy

Work Experience:
-Focused in Business Development – selling services related to Data Analytics, Agile & Cloud Transformation.
-Promoted 4X – Now leading a national sales team of 6 focused within Financial Services (clients including AMEX, Mastercard, etc.)
-Helped build a fraud analytics program that has saved client $25MM to date – recognizing patterns in Fraud Rings and fake applications for credit cards.
-Previously led our team supporting an Ivy League University, growing annual revenues from $2MM to $10MM+ over a two-year stretch.

Extra Curriculars:
-Volunteer for local organization focused on Education enablement and College Prep for first-generation students currently in high school. Mentoring them and doing mock interview/resume workshops
-Started charity for Veteran Suicide awareness – raising $10k+ for a local Vets’ home in my hometown.
-Taught myself guitar
-4 handicap golfer

Goals:
-Short term: Work in consulting – ideally working my way into the Public Sector Practice
-Long Term: Lead the area of the Obama/Gates/Clinton Foundation focused on economic enablement in lower income areas through education. Creating Public/Private partnerships that educate for jobs that will exist for next 20 years rather than the past 40. (Tech, Analytics, Clean Energy, etc.).

The low GPA was due to my sophomore and senior years at school - my father is in the military and was deployed and I spent a lot of time commuting back and forth from school to my hometown to help my mom with my younger brother and the house in general. I had a tough time managing everything and ended up with a 3.0 average those two years compared to a 3.6 in my Junior & Freshman years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi - please see below details of my background. I am looking to apply to HBS this year. Thank you for doing this. I look forward to your feedback!

Basic details: I am 23 years old, and have lived in four different countries, including India, South Africa, The Netherlands and now, England.

Education: 3-year Bachelors Degree (BSc Management) at the London School of Economics with a First Class Honours (not sure what the GPA equivalent is).
Currently pursuing a professional CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) qualification.

Work Experience: I have been working at J.P. Morgan in London as a Finance & Business Management Analyst since September 2019. I am part of a 3 year rotational programme. See below for rotations:

(Sep 2019 - Oct 2020) - P&L Controller for one of J.P. Morgan's largest UK entities.
(Oct 2020 - Present) - Business Manager for Corporate & Investment Bank Equities Operations (tasked with supporting senior Business Heads in the Equities Operations organisation).
(Oct 2021 - TBC) - Equities Financing Product Controller.

Before my full time job, I also interned at J.P. Morgan (Equities Valuations Control Group), alongside KPMG (Deals Intern) and SaturnF1 (E-Learning Analyst for the e-commerce arm of Apollo Tyres).

My current GMAT score is 710 (Q49 V38), but I am preparing for a resit to improve my score.

Extra-curricular activities: Playing cricket (was part of the team that won the national youth Dutch tournament). In addition, I was the Vice President & Treasurer of the LSE SU India Forum, which is a day-long conference that hosts dignitaries from India across fields such as Business, Finance, Sports, Politics and Entertainment. In addition, I was also the Designer and Treasurer for the LSE SU India Society. I have also had the experience of co-hosting the Captain of the Indian Women's Cricket Team and the Captain of the Indian Men's Football Team in an online webinar, which I organised alongside a friend. Currently, I am part of the Learning & Development Pillar of the F&BM Analyst Committee at J.P. Morgan, which organises and hosts training and development sessions for graduates on the programme. Also a volunteer in the J.P. Morgan Markets Operations Diversity & Inclusion Council. In my free time, I engage in financial literature and enjoy reading about business leaders and management.

Post-MBA aspirations: I wish to transition into Investment Banking for a few years to enhance and develop my skill set (e.g. analysing company fundamentals, teamwork and leadership skills etc.) following which I would like to pursue opportunities in Social Enterprise/Impact Investing.
Send PM
Expert Reply
ZS24 wrote:

GMAT

Academics:
-Dean’s list Junior Year
-Study abroad in Italy

Work Experience:

Extra Curriculars:
-Taught myself guitar
-4 handicap golfer

Goals:

Hi ZS24 - I agree with the other feedback you received that you will be a compelling candidate for your target schools, with great work experience and extracurriculars. I'm particularly impressed with four promotions in four years! I assume that's faster than normal for your company?

I also like your very specific long term goal. I'd love to understand more about why you have an interest or passion in this area. Your ultimate success will depend on how well you are able to connect the dots. How will consulting in the short run after your MBA help you get to your longer term goal? How will an MBA from each school help you get there?

I also agree that you can use your optional essay at each school to explain your lower than ideal GPA. This recent blog post, Is a 2.7 GPA a Showstopper for an MBA?, has some additional tips you might find helpful. Feel free to schedule a 30 minute free consultation here if you're interested in diving a bit deeper, and in any case, best of luck to you!!
Send PM
Expert Reply
tusharmittal98 wrote:
Hi - please see below details of my background. I am looking to apply to HBS this year. Thank you for doing this. I look forward to your feedback!

Basic details: I am 23 years old, and have lived in four different countries, including India, South Africa, The Netherlands and now, England.

Education: 3-year Bachelors Degree (BSc Management) at the London School of Economics with a First Class Honours (not sure what the GPA equivalent is).
Currently pursuing a professional CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) qualification.

Work Experience: I have been working at J.P. Morgan in London as a Finance & Business Management Analyst since September 2019. I am part of a 3 year rotational programme. See below for rotations:

(Sep 2019 - Oct 2020) - P&L Controller for one of J.P. Morgan's largest UK entities.
(Oct 2020 - Present) - Business Manager for Corporate & Investment Bank Equities Operations (tasked with supporting senior Business Heads in the Equities Operations organisation).
(Oct 2021 - TBC) - Equities Financing Product Controller.

Before my full time job, I also interned at J.P. Morgan (Equities Valuations Control Group), alongside KPMG (Deals Intern) and SaturnF1 (E-Learning Analyst for the e-commerce arm of Apollo Tyres).

My current GMAT score is 710 (Q49 V38), but I am preparing for a resit to improve my score.

Extra-curricular activities: Playing cricket (was part of the team that won the national youth Dutch tournament). In addition, I was the Vice President & Treasurer of the LSE SU India Forum, which is a day-long conference that hosts dignitaries from India across fields such as Business, Finance, Sports, Politics and Entertainment. In addition, I was also the Designer and Treasurer for the LSE SU India Society. I have also had the experience of co-hosting the Captain of the Indian Women's Cricket Team and the Captain of the Indian Men's Football Team in an online webinar, which I organised alongside a friend. Currently, I am part of the Learning & Development Pillar of the F&BM Analyst Committee at J.P. Morgan, which organises and hosts training and development sessions for graduates on the programme. Also a volunteer in the J.P. Morgan Markets Operations Diversity & Inclusion Council. In my free time, I engage in financial literature and enjoy reading about business leaders and management.

Post-MBA aspirations: I wish to transition into Investment Banking for a few years to enhance and develop my skill set (e.g. analysing company fundamentals, teamwork and leadership skills etc.) following which I would like to pursue opportunities in Social Enterprise/Impact Investing.

Hi tusharmittal98 - I'm happy to provide a bit of feedback on your profile. You do have some great things going for you. My first reaction is that you will be on the lower end of years work experience for HBS and your other target schools (I see from your other posts that you are also applying to CBS, Wharton, and LBS). That's not a deal breaker, but you will need to demonstrate leadership and impact. Your three year rotational program is compelling, since it is providing several different experiences you will bring to the table. How have you performed at work? Can you demonstrate that you are performing better than your peers? Do you have specific accomplishments or impact you can show?

Your extracurriculars also look good, but I notice they seem to all be in India or work-related. Do you have any community involvement currently beyond your JP Morgan efforts? Those JP Morgan efforts are great, and it would be even better to also show some community involvement, especially if you could again demonstrate leadership and/or impact.

I do think a higher GMAT score will help you, so I'm glad to see you plan to take that again. And your CIMA will also be a plus for you.

It will also be important to explain more about your long-term goal - why this is important to you, whether there is any particular area you would want to focus, etc. Ultimately you will need to explain how all of these dots connect and explain why an MBA from HBS in particular (and each school) will best help you get where you are going.

I hope this helps - happy to dive deeper via a free 30 minute consultation (you can sign up here). In any case, best of luck to you!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi All!

I wonder what do you think of my chances based on the profile below?

28 years old - 1st Generation of student in my family

Nationality:
British

Education:
- BA (Hons) in English and Drama from top 5 UK university
- MSc in Business Marketing and Management from top 5 UK university
- Several Oxford Diplomas
- Several Professional Diplomas
- Numerous online course completions from Coursera, and other sites.

Grade:
4.0 GPA (1st Class)

GMAT:

Work Experience
- Future leadership Program - Top 5 Pharmaceutical company (2 years, 1 year in Singapore, 1 year in Belgium)
- Distributor manager / Commercial Lead - " " (1 year in Southern Africa)
- Business Operations Manager - " " (1 year in Emerging markets (globally))

- Head of Operations (5 years in a small Security company I founded).

Extracurriculars:
- Ex semi-professional athlete (With numerous caps as captain).
- International Team leader in Nepal (Various Voluntary roles)
- Head of internal events for university student led charity organisation
- Venue manager for largest student nightclub in a region in the UK.
- Hall Chair for my university halls.
- Actor / Director in small productions for various performance groups.
- Numerous voluntary positions and activities around my local area.
- Avid sportsman still, competing in several different sports.

Languages:
- English
- French

Post MBA Goal:
- My overall goal is yet undecided - I do have some ideas and have a practical reason for why a shift into business school would be beneficial, but nothing I am yet comfortable with communicating.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Coxy4972,

Thanks for sharing. Your work experience and extracurriculars exhibit some strong leadership experience, which is great. Your GMAT is slightly lower than average for HBS so that is something I would flag. Keep in mind that demographic factors in as well.

As for your goals, you should generally be decisive when discussing your MBA career goals so it is best to pick a set of goals and run with them. If you do have multiple ideas in mind, some schools are comfortable with understanding your thought process and decision-making criteria (Personal MBA Coach discusses this with our clients on a case-by-case basis via our comprehensive services). Most schools, however, will want candidates to have clear plans laid out before they arrive on campus.

Feel free to send a note to scott@personalmbacoach.com if you are looking to discuss your application strategy in more detail. We regularly send clients to HBS and other top b-schools!

Best,
Personal MBA Coach

Coxy4972 wrote:
Hi All!

Nationality:
British

Education:

Grade:
4.0 GPA (1st Class)

GMAT:

Work Experience
- Future leadership Program - Top 5 Pharmaceutical company (2 years, 1 year in Singapore, 1 year in Belgium)

Extracurriculars:

Languages:
- English
- French

Post MBA Goal:
- My overall goal is yet undecided - I do have some ideas and have a practical reason for why a shift into business school would be beneficial, but nothing I am yet comfortable with communicating.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: HBS (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
For people posting here, don't get caught up comparing your profile to others. Yes GMAT and to some extent GPA can be comparable, but there is so much more that can't be measured on an online forum.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can someone please review my profile. (Thanks in advance)

GMAT - Yet to appear (targeting 750+)
10th - 89.4% (ICSE)
12th - 70% with PCM (ISC)
Graduation - B.tech (Production engineering) from Guru nanak dev Engineering college (70 %)

Nationality - Indian
Professional Experience- 41 Months of Full time work experience across manufacturing,trading
and energy industry (till november 2020)
Post November 2020 - Working on my own web based application (Startup), Working with
NGO’s as a project manager, Learning new skill sets (Certifications)
Professional Roles - Integral part of the Managing director’s strategy team, Deputy Manager
Business excellence team(Part of PMO)
Career key highlights -
1. Integral part of the Managing director's office team- Handled Coordinated and
managed frontend operations like Sales ,Strategy , IT, HR, VOC, Call centre.
2. Joined hero cycles as a business analyst to the plant head.Later I was promoted to
the business excellence team (Part of PMO). Established best practices across
industries,benchmarking, New product development, Product standardization,Cost
saving,Process automation,Digital transformation, Green field project.
3. Part of the corporate governance team - Coordinating with the government. officials
for upcoming policies on import export and subsidy in electric vehicles.
4. Handled a Cost saving project portfolio of 250 milllion INR
5. Part of CFT for greenfield plant project with the capacity of around 2 million bicycles
annually.Lead a CFT to design SOP’s for the new plant benchmarking the best practices in the
industry.
6. Synergized best practices and projects across plants in india with GROUP business
excellence initiative.
Extra-Curricular:-
1. Part of Technical societies:-
SCIE - Students chapter institution of engineers
(Executive member - Organized various technical events as a part of the
society-Awarded for the best event of the year)
2. Part of Cultural and art club:-
PFA - Photography and fine arts club
(Creative Head - Organized various events and took part in various inter college
photography competition)
3. Part of Non profit youth run organization acknowledged by colleges like ISB
and London School of economics
AIESEC - Non profit youth run organization across 120+ countries known for its
global exposure
- Cross cultural exchange with interns from ukraine,belgium,egypt ,russia,Uganda by
creating job opportunities for them in the city
-Best OCP (Organizing committee president ) Twice
-Generated revenue worth Rs 30000 from recruitment drives
-Interviewed more than 300+ students
-Handled a team of HR,Marketing,BD, Finance
-Collaborated and signed MoU with various brands and cafe's - Barter
marketing
-Conducted recruitment drives across colleges across the city
-Got my entity promoted to LC from an expansion
- Best Member of the year
4. Part of the core team for all cultural and technical fests
5. Due to flexible attendance - Volunteered as a trainee-utilized my time by taking
up practical knowledge of the industries to hone up my skills .
Also, Designed and conceptualized a logo for one of the companies from
scrap.
Post MBA goals - Entrepreneurship
Queries:-
1. What is the impact of dead backlogs on your admission?
2. I resigned from my job in November 2020 - working on my own web based
application (Startup) . What would be the impact of the same on my
application?
Shall I join a full time job for the time being ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM

10th - 89.4% (ICSE)
Graduation - B.tech (Production engineering) from Guru nanak dev Engineering college (70 %)

Nationality - Indian
Professional Experience- 41 Months of Full time work experience across manufacturing,trading
Post November 2020 - Working on my own web based application (Startup), Working with
Professional Roles - Integral part of the Managing director’s strategy team, Deputy Manager
Career key highlights -
1. Integral part of the Managing director's office team- Handled Coordinated and
2. Joined hero cycles as a business analyst to the plant head.Later I was promoted to
3. Part of the corporate governance team - Coordinating with the government. officials
5. Part of CFT for greenfield plant project with the capacity of around 2 million bicycles
annually.Lead a CFT to design SOP’s for the new plant benchmarking the best practices in the
industry.
6. Synergized best practices and projects across plants in india with GROUP business
excellence initiative.
(Creative Head - Organized various events and took part in various inter college
photography competition)
global exposure
- Cross cultural exchange with interns from ukraine,belgium,egypt ,russia,Uganda by
marketing
5. Due to flexible attendance - Volunteered as a trainee-utilized my time by taking
scrap.
application?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Coxy4972 wrote:
Hi All!

Nationality:
British

Education:

Grade:
4.0 GPA (1st Class)

GMAT:

Work Experience

Extracurriculars:

Languages:
- English
- French

Post MBA Goal:

Hi Coxy4972 - I'm happy to share my thoughts on your profile as well. You have some really great things going for you, including a great GPA, great and very diverse international experience, and what seems like particularly good work and extracurricular leadership experience. You have "leadership" and "manager" in your titles - are you able to demonstrate leadership and impact via your work experience? Have you been promoted at any of your jobs or can you otherwise show that you have performed better than your peers? Are any of your extracurriculars still happening? Again it would be great if you can show impact and leadership in your ECs as well, and ideally have at least one or two that are current.

I agree that your GMAT is a bit low for HBS -- but great that you have completed diplomas and online courses. Are any of those quantitative in nature? That could help offset your lower GMAT score and provide some confidence to HBS or other schools that you have what it takes to succeed. Or alternately, do you think you could improve your GMAT score if you took it again?

The biggest concern I have is about your vague goal. Schools realize that you may change career directions once you enter their programs and gain exposure to new things, but they want candidates who are able to come up with concrete career plans based on what you know as of now, and can explain why an MBA right now, specifically from their school, will best help you get to wherever you're headed. Are you saying that you are uncomfortable communicating your career goal in this public forum, or even with HBS and other schools to which you will be applying? If the latter, I would urge you to reconsider, as the schools will definitely want to better understand your plans and how (and whether) they fit into those plans.

I'm happy to dive in deeper via a free 30-minute consultation. If you are interested, please sign up here. In any case, best of luck to you!!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SinghhChetan,

Thank you for sharing your profile. Your profile looks good on the surface. Starting with your work experience, I think this is one of the most competitive ones. I can see a good career trajectory. You will need to highlight the roles and responsibilities you have taken on and the impact they have had on the organisation. The finest aspect of your work experience is that you have worked on diverse projects, which may provide some wonderful stories of a responsible leader. Harvard, for several years now, places a great emphasis on considerable leadership experiences. Overall, a great work experience. When it comes to your ECs, they are very strong in their own right, bringing out your competitiveness and intellectual prowess. Another distinctive feature of your profile is your international experience. Your essays should focus on you as a person, any significant/difficult issue you handled well, or how a significant event in your life shaped you. I would say pick out the most impacting ones and craft a great narrative. Saying just entrepreneurship will not work for your post-MBA goals; you must have an idea of the direction you will follow. So, explore it.

Answering your queries:

As long as you curate a good application with strong gmat, there will be nominal attention to your dead backlogs.

2. I resigned from my job in November 2020 - working on my own web based application (Startup) . What would be the impact of the same on my application? Shall I join a full time job for the time being ?

You should give convincing reason for resigning and share your startup vision with the adcoms (If you resigned for startup). The startup could be interesting if it is in good form or can scale up quickly, and, more importantly, if it has some ties to your post-MBA goals. If you join now simply to fill something out on your application, you will be bombarded with questions. It might have a negative influence and call your decision-making into question. I believe you should concentrate on your startup and make a compelling case for the adcoms. Also, the fact that you have great work experience and ECs, which will undoubtedly assist you in demonstrating your abilities.

Overall you have a good competitive profile and had a shot at harvard. What matters most in your profile is connecting the dots and creating a good narrative. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further chances to b-school. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

“Coffee with alums”- LGBT+ event

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

SinghhChetan wrote:

10th - 89.4% (ICSE)

Nationality - Indian
Career key highlights -
industry.
excellence initiative.
photography competition)
global exposure
marketing
scrap.
application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Project Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile for HBS------------
Target GMAT- 740+
Gender-Female
Marital status- Single
Nationality- Indian
Age- 33 yrs.
Educational Qualification
• Bachelor's in Technology (RTU) - Information technology (4yr.) 2011 passout - 79% (topper in 2nd year & Overall score => top 1% of the batch.)
• PGDM (XIME Bangalore) - Analytics & Marketing (2yr program) 2018 batch- CGPA 6.27/8 (all 6 pointers are considered the top performers in the batch)
• Winter School from Audencia Business School, Nantes-France ( Exchange Program) - Merit-based selection for the Exchange program (during my 2 yr. PGDM)
Target After MBA Role- Consulting or Product Manager
Short term After MBA Role (3yrs from MBA)- Senior Manager in Consulting firm
Total Work Ex.= ~ 6.8yrs
Currently working in a French MNC, the leader in Mobility - since 2018, Joined as an MT confirmed within 6 months (generally it is a year), progressed from MT to Analyst and then to Digital Business Partner driving Digital transformation in the company. Promoted to BI specialist role in April 2021 as I have exhibited my Analytical competency while working in my previous role. I work closely with France, UK & North America.
Extracurricular In my organization- Active volunteer in organizing Industry Seminars, Corporate outings/sessions, etc.,
Roles I have performed-
• In French MNC I have been working for last 3 yrs. - Business Intelligence Specialist & Digital Transformation [Best Performance Rating since last two years], took many cross-functional projects & tasks too. Three trips in 2 years to Company's Headquarter in Paris to present the Digital Initiative & initiate the DAP - Digital Acceleration Program
• At a small start-up for 3.8 years - Product Manager & Business Analyst [Best Performer for three consecutive years & hence promoted to Assistant Business Development Manager after which I left the job to do PGDM]
Key Achievements:-
• Organized 20+ IT literacy camps from 2008- 2011 (during my B.Tech)
• Organized 30+ sessions across 15 cities in India during my time at MLM promoting a New Career option. (during my MLM experience from 2008 to 2012)
• From 2008-2012- Promoted MLM multilevel marketing -IT program wrong ~4k people- first glimpse of my Marketing skills (along with my Bachelors I was doing MLM too)
• Led 6 months trail of my own entrepreneur concept, though it failed and hence I joined a start-up in 2012.
• Runner up in "The Hindu's- The Board Club" case study challenge.
• Placecom Experience (during PGDM)- Helped in placing 40% of the students who were left after the placement week & facilitated 30% of New Corporate tie-ups during the late placement activity season.
• At Grad. Level- I lead the Drama Club in B.Tech, Lead the C++ Club. During PGDM- I volunteered for Mocks B-Case, Lead strategist -Endorsement & fundraising plans for clubs.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts