[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 881: Undefined array key "c_ss"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 890: Undefined array key "184_school_count"
Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation : Harvard - Page 44
Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 20:59 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 20:59
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2067 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Any feedback would be appreciated

27, East Asian ethnicity (overrepresented applicant group)
Top3 Canadian school bachelors in finance (UofT, UBC, McGill), ranked near the top of my class (highest honours)
Msc Finance from the LSE, distinction (back when I took the GMAT I got 740-750, score has expired and will need to retake)
Have minor work experience in Asia right out of school. Now have worked c.3 yrs in North America and UK (London) in private equity at a reasonably well known firm
Extracurriculars are alright, not super prestigious. Leader of student clubs / teams, sports programs for underprivileged children, etc. No volunteering in Africa or SE Asia or anything like that

Goal after MBA: Start own start-up. Want to get the extra skillset / connections given past background was only in finance
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2067 [0]
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NeroisNemo:

Great profile! Assuming you can duplicate your expired GMAT score, you should be in the running. Unfortunately with schools like HBS, even people with your credentials are going to be subject to the randomness of the process.

It's going to come down to the remaining components of your application: the HBS essay, your recommendation letters and the interview.

If you'd like to discuss further and think an admissions consultant could give you that extra edge with this competitive process, feel free to reach out to using the link below:

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Good luck!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Stratus Admissions Counseling
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vagrawa wrote:
Please evaluate my profile.
Background and nationality : Software Engineer, Indian, 27 y/o Male, 50 months workex in single company (semiconductors)
Undergrad Information : CGPA : 7.39/10 in Computer Science from a top NIT in India
GMAT: 760 (q51/v41)
Work experience and leadership : Mostly highly technical work related to software and data security. Got promoted twice and performance ratings have been very good throughout.
Community and others : no community service. Extra curricular also on the lesser side, with one POR in a club in college and some event wins.
Post MBA goals : Product management in a tech company

Target B-schools : ISB in India, not sure about applying to Top global Bschools yet.

Do I stand any realistic chance to Harvard (or any top US school), maybe just because of the high gmat score ?

Hi vagrawa - Congrats on the great GMAT score, but unfortunately your great score alone will not get you into HBS or other top US programs. The score is just one of many criteria the schools use to evaluate you.

Your work experience also seems strong - especially your two promotions. Can you show impact at work? And when you say your performance ratings are strong, will your recommenders say you are among the strongest they have ever seen at your level?

Your lack of EC leadership and community service will definitely work against you. Have you taken on any leadership roles at your work beyond your day to day job by any chance, such as mentoring, recruiting, or diversity, for example? Those would also help demonstrate beyond-work leadership.

Ultimately the most important thing will for you to be able to tell a compelling story about the impact you ultimately want to have in the world, and how your experience and an MBA from Harvard (or each specific school) will best help you get there.

I hope this helps - best of luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Kudos
Hello! I look forward to your evaluation of my profile for the HBS FT MBA.

Basics: Indian Female, 27 y/o
Academic:
- UG : Economic (Hons), DU, India, 8.81/10, Rank holder (2nd)
- Masters : MSc Applied Economics, NTU, Singapore, 4.3/5, Oustanding academic performance holder (semester 3rd)
- FMVA, CFI Certificate holder (completing in October 2021)
- Wharton Strategic Management Capstone certificate holder (completing in October 2021)

Work Ex:
- Previous: >2 years in TMT Investment Banking with a boutique M&A firm, Singapore; lead multi mullion deals, daily client interactions, travel, direct working with MDP
- Present: >2 years in MBB Consulting, India for banking and asset management industry; mix of product management and front-end consulting

Goals:
- 2-3 years post MBA : MBB / TMT / Impact / Social investments wherein I can help source and manage high ROI firms that aim to build a more tech-infused world ; mix of technology and finance
- 3-5 years post MBA : Build a network of people and business resources to move into direct sourcing and building high tech firms for large PE / VC firms

GMAT - scheduled in Nov 2021 (aim : 720, Q 48/49 , V 40 , IR >5)

Additional:
- Language : English, Hindi, German (intermediate)
- AIESEC Team lead (volunteer) for 1 year
- English teacher for MAD (India NGO) for 1 year
- Founder of online business on Instagram
- Founding member of women's networking club at present firm
- Multiple UN / UNDP debates + Toastmasters
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [0]
Given Kudos: 1770
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
BlackSky wrote:

Academic:
- Masters : MSc Applied Economics, NTU, Singapore, 4.3/5, Oustanding academic performance holder (semester 3rd)
- Wharton Strategic Management Capstone certificate holder (completing in October 2021)

Work Ex:
- Previous: >2 years in TMT Investment Banking with a boutique M&A firm, Singapore; lead multi mullion deals, daily client interactions, travel, direct working with MDP
- Present: >2 years in MBB Consulting, India for banking and asset management industry; mix of product management and front-end consulting

Goals:
- 2-3 years post MBA : MBB / TMT / Impact / Social investments wherein I can help source and manage high ROI firms that aim to build a more tech-infused world ; mix of technology and finance
- 3-5 years post MBA : Build a network of people and business resources to move into direct sourcing and building high tech firms for large PE / VC firms

Additional:

Hi BlackSky,

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations.

My name is Priyanka, Client Manager at ARINGO.

You have a very interesting profile! From what I can see:

Academics – Good GPA and percentile. Additional certifications indicate your willingness to learn and grow.

GMAT – The class average of HBS is 730. For best chances, try aiming 730+.

Work Experience/Goals –Your experience is good and the career goals (both long term and short term) look fine as this is a logical extension of what you are doing presently.

Extracurricular activities/Volunteer Work – Strong ECs and volunteering work.

All in all, sounds like you have a good profile! If you send me your CV once you are done with the exam on PRIYANKAK@ARINGO.com, I would love to connect you with our CEO who will be happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps.

All the best. :)
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BlackSky,

Thank you for sharing your profile. It sounds like you have some strong work experience and interesting extracurriculars as well.

As a consultant, however, you have your work cut out for you to distinguish yourself from your peers in your MBA applications. This is because consulting is a competitive field with many applicants.

That said, your uniqueness will be one of your greatest selling points. Discussing one or two unique skills, hobbies, extracurricular leadership roles, volunteer work or language skills will paint a clearer picture for admissions committee members of who you are and what unique value you can add to their next class. Looking at the "additional" experiences you have shared, you should have some good material to use.

Truthfully, as a consultant and Indian applicant, you will likely want to aim higher than a 720 on the GMAT. Since you are applying from an overrepresented applicant pool, differentiating yourself with a strong GMAT will be key, and you may need to score 20 to 30 points above the average to even be on the same playing field as other applicants. For reference, the HBS median GMAT for the class of 2023 was 730.

Should you secure a strong GMAT score and successfully articulate your personal story and MBA goals, you should have a solid chance at HBS. However, Personal MBA Coach suggests targeting 5 to 8 schools to maximize your chances of acceptance as competition increases and acceptance rates fall. Where else are you considering applying to?

Personal MBA Coach works with many folks from MBB consulting each year and would be happy to help set you up for success. Feel free to take a look at our comprehensive packages and send a note to scott@personalmbacoach.com to further discuss your application strategy.

Best,
Personal MBA Coach

BlackSky wrote:

Academic:

Work Ex:

Goals:

Additional:
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Many thanks all for the great thread. I would love to have your opinion:

Background info : last year admitted into SIPA/Georgetown (Public Policy) but decided to apply again for HBS/HKS joint program. Refugee and currently based in the Middle East, received a partial scholarship to pursue my undergrad. Studied Computer Science but worked in international development & civil service. first generation at university.

Applying to: HKS MPP & HBS MBA, Oxford Said School

Undergrad Institution: one of the top schools in the Middle East

Years of experience: 8.5

GPA: below 3

Quant experience: studied Computer Science and am currently preparing for the GMAT: Target (realistic score): 680

Relevant Work Experience: NGOs for 5 years and a prestigious embassy for 3.5 years, managing a high profile program.

International experience: I have been on several panels/trips to speak about refugee education worldwide, mainly the US, Canada, UK, and across the Middle east.

Strength of LOR: very strong LORs. From an ambassador with whom I worked directly for 2 years , HBS grad who was my manager for 4 years, and a university professor.

SOP: fairly strong, focused on my personal story and achievements in the refugee communities, and why I decided to work in the private sector but on public projects.

Main Concerns: Academic (obviously) and lack of any experience in the private sector but this is exactly why I decided to study MBA.

Originally posted by Nomad488 on 23 Sep 2021, 09:59.
Last edited by Nomad488 on 23 Sep 2021, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2067 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nomad488:

To be frank, HBS is going to be out of reach for you with a GPA below 3 and a target GMAT of 680.

Oxford is more attainable but your GMAT score is still slightly below the median (690) and your GPA might then become an issue again.

You do have good experience overall, but I would open yourself up to other programs as a hedge if Harvard and Oxford do not work out.

-Admissionado
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nomad488 wrote:

Background info : last year admitted into SIPA/Georgetown (Public Policy) but decided to apply again for HBS/HKS joint program. Refugee and currently based in the Middle East, received a partial scholarship to pursue my undergrad. Studied Computer Science but worked in international development & civil service. first generation at university.

Quant experience: studied Computer Science and am currently preparing for the GMAT: Target (realistic score): 680

Relevant Work Experience: NGOs for 5 years and a prestigious embassy for 3.5 years, managing a high profile program.

International experience: I have been on several panels/trips to speak about refugee education worldwide, mainly the US, Canada, UK, and across the Middle east.

Strength of LOR: very strong LORs. From an ambassador with whom I worked directly for 2 years , HBS grad who was my manager for 4 years, and a university professor.

SOP: fairly strong, focused on my personal story and achievements in the refugee communities, and why I need to shift to private sector.

Main Concerns: Academic (obviously) and lack of any experience in the private/business sector but this is exactly why I decided to study MBA.

Hi Nomad,

I would agree with others that you should expand your list, and HBS is very likely out with your GPA/target GMAT combo.

All this said, you are a refugee and have related NGO experience. Turning your back on that for the applications/career goals may not be wise. Of course, once you are accepted into a program you are free to pursue what you want. But your social impact work may be an asset to consider in this process as opposed to leaving it behind for "Why MBA". More and more, top public sector/NGO executives have MBAs.

Best of Luck!
Alex
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nomad488,

Thank you for sharing. A couple of thoughts:

When applying to traditional full-time MBA programs, your chances of admission start to decrease slightly each year after the 6-year mark. That said, with 8.5 years of work experience, we do recommend that you apply as soon as possible. However, do not worry too much here, as Personal MBA Coach works with many more experienced professionals who gain admission to top programs by crafting a story to explain their roles to date.

As for your GPA, assuming it was on a 4.0 scale, it will be really important to secure a strong GMAT to offset this. For a school like HBS, this should be well above 680. How did your GPA compare to that of your classmates? If it was close to average, then it's easily explainable to admissions. If it's not, were there extenuating circumstances which led to the low GPA?

With the right positioning, I could still see you as a competitive candidate at a number of schools. However, getting a high GMAT will factor into this. Feel free to reach out at scott@personalmbacoach.com to talk more about your background and candidacy. We work with lots of folks who have low GPAs who get in if they ace the GMAT and have impressive experience. Take a look at our comprehensive services to learn more.

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach

Nomad488 wrote:

SOP: fairly strong, focused on my personal story and achievements in the refugee communities, and why I decided to work in the private sector but on public projects.

Main Concerns: Academic (obviously) and lack of any experience in the private sector but this is exactly why I decided to study MBA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
GRE 1: Q165 V160
GPA: 3.4
Send PM