GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Passport Validity requirement for US F1 Visa

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Passport Validity requirement for US F1 Visa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 09:25
Hello Everyone
I have an urgent query. I am an Indian Passport holder and looking forward to applying for US F1 Visa for fall 2020. My current passport is expiring in June 2021 and my MBA program will be from Sept 2020 to june 2022. Could you please let me know if the current validity is fine for Visa application. I am getting mixed responses to this situation. Should the passport be valid for 6 months at the time of entry or at least 6 months beyond intended period of stay in US. At this stage passport renewal would be very difficult considering that I have more than a year validity on my passport and also due to Covid 19, only emergency cases are being taken care of.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Passport Validity requirement for US F1 Visa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 14:11
Have you considered consulting the US Dept of State website? I know GMAT Club is the ultimate authority on everything, but just wondering :cool:

Quote:
Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... -visa.html

Then there is the 6-month club link for countries that require your passport to only be valid for the duration of your stay and not beyond the 6 months (which may get you just where you need to be but I don't think you want to have an expired passport when you finish your MBA... seriously that would be a big pain in the butt) https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files ... 122017.pdf

It is very tight in case you are a part of the 6-month club.
It would help you A LOT even if you can get the visa, to get your passport renewed now and not deal with this so my suggestion for you would be to do ALL YOU CAN to get your passport issues and tell the bureaucrats to get it done and that it must be valid beyond the June timeline.
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Passport Validity requirement for US F1 Visa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 14:30
bb It says a lot about GC's authority when we are able to eat into Google's search volume! :P

OP - Adding to what bb said, India is a part of the club and hence exempt from the 'duration of stay + six months' clause. You just need your passport to be valid for the duration of stay, but from what I understand, your passport will expire next year and so I would strongly advise you to renew your passport and then get the visa stamped in it.

Also, you mentioned that your passport is valid until June 2021. So, why can't you wait for a few days, and then once you're within the one-year renewal window, renew your passport? As it stands, there are no visa interviews happening in India right now, so there's no hurry on that front.

bb wrote:
Have you considered consulting the US Dept of State website? I know GMAT Club is the ultimate authority on everything, but just wondering :cool:

Quote:
Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... -visa.html

Then there is the 6-month club link for countries that require your passport to only be valid for the duration of your stay and not beyond the 6 months (which may get you just where you need to be but I don't think you want to have an expired passport when you finish your MBA... seriously that would be a big pain in the butt) https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files ... 122017.pdf

It is very tight in case you are a part of the 6-month club.
It would help you A LOT even if you can get the visa, to get your passport renewed now and not deal with this so my suggestion for you would be to do ALL YOU CAN to get your passport issues and tell the bureaucrats to get it done and that it must be valid beyond the June timeline.

Is Berkeley Haas your dream school?
Join the applicant conversation on this thread.

My GMAT debrief: 12 weeks to 720 --> 3 weeks to 750
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Passport Validity requirement for US F1 Visa   [#permalink] 27 May 2020, 14:30

Passport Validity requirement for US F1 Visa

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: abhimahna, Hatakekakashi